Night Sweats (in Men and Women)

Please describe your experience with night sweats. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: lynnemarie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

For the past couple of nights I can feel that my chest is dripping wet, and if I wipe my hand across, it’s wet from sweat. Nowhere else but my chest. Not my head, not my face, just my chest. I’m 57. I went through my hot flashes and everything about seven years ago. I haven’t had any sweating or hot flashes in about three or four years. I am otherwise healthy.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

Every night I have to get up and change my pajamas because they’re wet. I don’t know what is causing these night sweats. My hair also gets wet.

Comment from: rony, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I fought with excessive night sweat many years until I got electro-antiperspirant device. It definitely helped me get rid of my problematic sweaty neck at night. I used this because I did not know why I was sweating at night when I do not have any severe disease and do not take any medicines. This item is the best investment in my life.

Comment from: Suncia , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I will go to sleep and then be waking up with a hot flash and night sweats. Then the area of the sweating becomes really cold.

Comment from: Tony w , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I recently had lung surgery, and every night for the last 4 weeks I’ve woken up every 2 hours soaked wet from night sweats. I’m 40 and male.

Comment from: Joneeblaze , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I'm constantly dripping sweat from my forehead when the weather is not even hot.

Comment from: Hot Mama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 60 years old. I am awakened at night by extreme hot flashes and night sweats that are in my torso. I feel like my chest and back are burning up. Wondering if this could be from something other than menopause. I had a hysterectomy at 32.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 68 year old female and went through menopause in my late 40s. The past year I have been waking up around 2 am soaked with night sweats. My bed clothing would be wet and I would have sweat rolling off from me. My doctor says it may be hormonal, but I did hormone therapy years ago when I first went into menopause and it didn’t help then. If anyone has a solution for this, please tell me!

Comment from: Sister girl47, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 47 years old and my night sweats are really bad at night, just my chest, head and back. I am in good health and good blood work, so I don’t know what's happening.

Comment from: Sandford, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have been getting night sweats for a couple of weeks now, but it seems to be getting worse over time. I have a breathing problem and a constant cough but am waking up 3 or 4 times soaked, I don’t know why.

Comment from: cbc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Lately, I have been experiencing night sweats in my head. I started placing a clean dry face towel over my head and the sweating stops instantly.

Comment from: Light&Harmony, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I sweat only around my neck. It is so bad that I have to get up and wipe it with a towel. Usually happens around 3 to 4 AM. My night sweat has been going on for several months. The doctor has ordered thyroid lab tests but only because I mentioned it to him.

Comment from: Sweating sick , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I’m a 38 years old man. Recently I’ve been to warm weather and then come back to cold weather. Since that night I have started fever and excessive night sweating. My fever stopped within one day but I still have night sweating, wondering what could be the reason could be.

QUESTION

If menopause occurs in a woman younger than ___ years, it is considered to be premature. See Answer
Comment from: Lightbulb , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I wake up at 2 to 3 am with the neck of my pajamas wet from night sweats.

Comment from: H, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I started getting night sweats about 5 months ago, and it has happened pretty much every night. I wake up cold, but it's the sweat on my neck and head. I don't need to get changed but just a wipe and I'm still very warm but don't seem to sweat as bad again in the same night. At 32 I hope it's nothing serious, I read some other comments and seems quite common even at my age. I do sometimes have hot flushes during the day also, but not as intense.

Comment from: BebiJoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am a 71 1/2 year old female. Every morning I wake up soaking wet from head to toe and my gown completely wringing wet. I've mentioned my night sweats to my doctors, but they never answer me on their way of trying to get to the bottom of it. I need a general idea as to what possibly can cause these sweats and why are they so bad.

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have nightmares of my dead family that I witnessed die from different types of death and car accidents. I wake up with my chest and back soaked and I'm also sitting down in bed. I don’t know why these night sweats happen.

Comment from: Stosh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I am a 53 year old male, HIV positive, undetectable and (as far as I know) asymptomatic. I am on Biktarvy, bupropion and Lexiva. My sweats started before the Lexiva and Biktarvy. The instant I drop off to sleep, be it in bed, on a couch, on the train to work, etc., the back of my head pours sweat. Sometimes I just nod off and bam; sweaty mess on the back of my head! I've ruined a few drop pillows at friends’ houses. I'm not diabetic nor do I have high blood pressure.

Comment from: Kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 21 years old and have been having night sweats for about a year now. I take Zoloft and birth control, and recently started taking it in the mornings instead of nights, but the night sweats are still continuing. I'm way too young for it to be menopause. The night sweats are so bad that they drench my clothes, bed sheets, and make it gross for my partner sleeping next to me.

Comment from: Marie Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I’m a 48 year old female post-menopausal and I sweat on my head and neck every night. The room could have its own air conditioner set at 65 F and I’d still have this problem. I don’t know if it’s the menopause or my inflammation from other issues. I have autoimmune diseases as well so it’s difficult to figure out. But I only sweat around my neck and head and have to wipe my neck off with a towel and change my pillowcase usually around 2 am every night. Ugh! I hope this goes away at some point!

Comment from: Mysteryz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm a soon to be 40 year old woman. I sweat on the front of the neck at night. It wakes me up because it feels weird and I have to wipe. It only does it when I'm sleep.

Comment from: Sarah , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 32 and have been having night sweats for the last 8 to 12 months. It happens pretty much every other night. It feels like a glass of water is trickling through my hair and that’s what wakes me up. Then I find that I have sweated through all night clothes and on the bed is a wet imprint of a body. It is soaking to touch. It’s horrible as it makes me feel freezing and then I need to get changed in the middle of the night. I told the general physician but they did not pay much attention to it.

Comment from: Graciemaude, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I am 68 years old and have been having hot flashes since I was 50 years old, and no hormone therapy has helped. I wake up freezing because my body and clothes are soaking wet with sweat running off legs, arms, face, head, and torso. Sheets are soaked. I have to get up, strip off all clothes, dry off, then put on a clean dry set of night clothes, which are cotton. Then I have to use towels to soak up excess wetness where I was sleeping. Then I take a special folded top sheet and lay over wet place so I’m not back on the nasty wet spot. There is no rhyme or reason as to when this will happen! Sometimes it is every night, and then I can go for days and night sweat won’t happen. This drives me crazy! It is bad enough when I am at home, but when we travel, it really makes things uncomfortable. If anyone has any suggestions for something to help I will be glad to listen. Doctors don’t know why and only offer ‘might be’ reasons. Could be hormonal (not so, because hormone therapy made no difference). Could be my medicines (no changes of medicines made any difference), or could be stress related. Well, if someone can tell me how you can tell your body and brain to not be stressed I’ll be glad to try it! Now I am going to try not taking any over the counter pain medicines for headaches, body aches from arthritis, and any other thing you might take Tylenol or ibuprofen for. This is the only other thing I can control myself. If it works or helps I’ll let you all know. Thanks for the space to vent.

SLIDESHOW

What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: maureenj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Every evening around 5 pm I start sweating profusely, and this continues until around 1 or 2 in the morning. I am now cold and still sweating; if I try to wear warmer clothing the sweating gets worse instead of better. I have a plethora of medical needs. I take a huge dose of Synthroid every day, I take antidepressants and antipsychotics in hefty doses as well. I am losing weight rapidly. Though lately the weight loss is not as bad. I have very little fat on my body. My thyroid continues to require the Synthroid replacement therapy. Right now as I sit and write this my clothing is soaked to the skin, I wear light weight cotton clothing. I am so cold I shiver, yet the sweat pours off my scalp, neck and trunk I can't imagine which of the many drugs I take could be causing this or if my thyroid now practically nonexistent. I don't feel sick but I have other maladies that could be the cause as well. I have significant hypotension for which I take Florinef, and it has been worse since they increased that drug. I have recently discontinued Topamax because of the weight loss and its tendency to take away hunger. In 2008 I had to have emergency gastrectomy. Almost all that is left is a one inch stomach and no duodenum. Thus my body struggles to survive with all these medical issues. I want to curl up in a blanket so much. The mornings bring relief and a normal everyday life of popping pills and struggling to survive. I have recently developed wide areas of my body that go numb or the feeling goes away completely. I couldn't walk in February because I couldn't feel my leg, I know what a person suffering paralysis experiences and it was not pleasant. I have severe osteoporosis which caused me to fracture and break the vertebrae between my wing bones, it didn't heal properly so I am always in pain and have to use a fentanyl patch and breakthrough opioids just to get through the day. But after all this is said and done, I don't feel sick or weak.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am a senior past the menopausal stage. I am having hot flashes combined with night sweats throughout the day and night! I have been having them for about a year! I wonder what it can it be at my age and what can be done! Thank you.

Comment from: virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am 73 years old. I only wear cotton t-shirts when I sleep whether it is winter or summer. I usually wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning because of wet hair. My night sweating is only on my head not in my body. I am diabetic and I don't know if this is connected to my head sweats.

Comment from: nancy, Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had night sweats for three years now and it is getting no better. I wake up all night, bed is wet, everything is wet, and I don’t get much sleep.

Comment from: KO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

Out of the blue I started having 2 or 3, even sometimes 4 episodes of night sweats about a month ago. I am 59 and well past menopause, don't have hot flashes anymore, and am not on hormone therapy. I do take an antidepressant which has never caused me a problem (15 years on the same low dose) until now. I have tried everything; changing bedclothes, wearing light sleepwear, hydrating (cool water) before bed, avoiding spicy food and alcohol and caffeine in the evening (these things used to bring on a hot flash). I am miserable, my house is 60 degrees at night and when I wake up soaked it's almost impossible to make myself get up and change my pajamas, but I can't stand lying there in a pool of sweat. Really not getting good sleep at all, very depressing in itself.

Comment from: marcie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 22

From time to time I am experiencing profuse sweating around head and neck. Pillow is wet, and hair mats to head. I have bad insomnia. I cannot take sleeping pills. I take pravastatin, methotrexate, folic (folic acid with B vitamins), propranolol, calcium, biotin, and 250 mg magnesium.

Comment from: nanad, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My body is wet with sweating. I have to wipe with a towel, my back and face, in the day time as well as at night time. I stopped having hot flashes a year ago, but now get these night sweats.

Comment from: monik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have night sweat and it happens when I wake up during the night (after I am awake they start and then I feel cold).

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am a 59 year old woman, post-menopausal by 19 years. In the past few months, I too am awakened drenched in sweat, bedding soaked. It has nothing to do with room temperature, as I always keep it very cool. I only take one medication, Paxil daily, which I have taken for 22 years. I recently weaned off of a daily dose of Klonopin (after taking for 8 years for anxiety). The process took approximately 3 months and I finished 3 or 4 weeks ago. My ovaries were removed 3 years ago, but have never taken a hormone replacement. I have no other medical issues that I'm aware of, and my diet has not changed. I 'deep sweat' every other night or so.

Comment from: Skippy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have terrible night sweats, it seems as soon as I get dry it happens again, like a faucet on and off all night long. When you are a woman and have any sweating, right off they say menopause. I had my last period 7 years ago and this is the worst it has ever been. I even tried all over-the-counter medications and for the first 2 years took hormone pills. Now I have been off hormone pills for 5 years and I am a hot mess.

Comment from: gueritaguerita, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 12

My husband has woken me up the past two nights drenched in sweat. He is diabetic, but this has never happened before. I wonder if it is his medication.

Comment from: Cami, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have woken up twice this week in the early morning, absolutely freezing cold, yet sweat is pouring off me. I sit up on the side of the bed and I am just shaking, it leaves me feeling dizzy and weak all day.

Comment from: MLS, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am on dialysis, diabetic, with heart stents. I don't always have night sweats, but when I do they are in the upper chest and neck area and the lower back hairline. I can go through 3 to 4 nightgowns that will be wet, as well as pillow cases and the top part of the sheet; usually around 2 to 3 am.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I visit Florida in the winter for a couple of months. While there I get night sweats continuously. I don't get them when I'm living up north. I have no idea what triggers them only when I'm in Florida.

Comment from: Janie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 19

I am 73 and wake up 3 out of 7 nights a week soaking wet. I wonder what could be happening.

Comment from: Rubster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 51 in July, and 3 months ago my period stopped. I have sweating when I lie down at night and am also putting on weight. I don’t know what to take to prevent this.

Comment from: Fiona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am a woman aged 51. I have been sweating heavily on neck and chest at night.

Comment from: ally, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

My head gets so wet because of night sweat while I sleep. I do have high blood pressure but otherwise I am healthy.

Comment from: carolyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 75 and lately twice I have been woken up at night with sweating and nausea that last for about two hours.

Comment from: sweaty betty, 55-64 Female Published: October 05

I'd had a lot of stress over a few days and at first I blamed stress for having the night sweats, however, after suffering for a week I knew there was something wrong. The first night that I had sweating, I woke up several times feeling really cold and the duvet was off me. The attic door is directly over my bed and it hadn't been properly insulated and the second night of sweating was blamed on a cold breeze coming down from the attic. The third night that it happened, I got up and put a heavy pajama top on and when I was getting back into the bed I realized that the sheets and my pillow were soaked and really cold. I changed the sheets and awoke shortly after feeling cold, this time I checked the sheets and they were soaked again so I knew there was something wrong. I have been to see my GP and should have the results of some tests soon. The strange thing is I never woke during the sweats only after when the wet sheets went cold.

Comment from: Veteran, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

When I mention having night sweats, clinicians look at me as if I have 16 eyes just because I am a male. I have had them for years. Most of the time, I just get uncomfortably hot with no actual sweating. I uncover, and when I cool down, I have to recover because I prefer a very cool bedroom.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a 49 year old female. I have been getting night sweats (from my neck to the chest and on the back only) for about 3 consecutive nights now. There were no sweats on my forehead or anywhere else. I am usually a cold blooded person that needed to wear extra layers to bed. My hand is always cold. I had my blood tested 2 weeks ago and there is no indication that I am having menopause (maybe perimenopausal). I have been stressed lately and also been losing weight (not by choice).

Comment from: Rudy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I sweat around my neck a lot.

Comment from: Melaney, Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been getting night sweats for a couple days now and I’m struggling to sleep and now my partner is also getting night sweats.

Comment from: Lewis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been waking up with my clothes and sheets drenched for the last five years. I am not sure why they are called night sweats when I wake up cold. I am 48 years old and have not gone through menopause. My doc says it's just hormones, but I don't know.

Comment from: C.Renee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I'm having heavy night sweats that feel like someone took a bucket of water and poured it all over my body. It's to the point my husband can't touch me because I’m soaked while I’m sleeping.

Comment from: waffle, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 17

My partner is experiencing night sweats hot and cold. He needs to change the sheets and his night wear. He has seen a doctor but he’s not getting any better. He gets up two to three times a night to urinate, and says it is a good flow.

Comment from: Eeewsweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a basically healthy 50-yr old female, but have been waking at night for a year: clothing drenched, and stinking with a new kind of body odor. This has nothing to do with the temperature in the room, and it is frankly insulting that so many health articles will suggest something so obvious. It's ridiculous. I get up and have the chills, go urinate, change damp clothes, when i return the bed feels super hot. My body is like burning from the inside out. Dr says I am not menopausal. I can't take progesterone due to painful fibroid breast cysts. I have noticed I don't sweat when napping, nor do I seem to have as much trouble when I am traveling.

Comment from: Carolk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 66 and I have been having night sweats for years. They always occur toward morning. When I awaken, my clothing and bedding are soaked, but I am freezing cold. I have to curl up and get warm before I can get up. If I get up early (before the sweat) it will occur later in the day if I nap. It's ruining my sleep! My doctor doesn't take it seriously.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I just sleep with shorts. I wake up every night around 2-3 a.m. with my pillowcase drenched. I just flip my pillow over and go back to sleep. The weird thing is, on weekends when I stay up later, it doesn't happen. I think it's because I'm naturally a night person and I have to force myself to go to sleep earlier during weekdays. It's been happening for about three months now.

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 65 years old and have had night sweats soaking my sheets and pillow and duvet. When I wake I really smell sweaty. It's disgusting and my sheets are washed every day!

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

For the last six months I have been waking up freezing and the bed is soaking. When it first started I came down with flu within two weeks and I put it down to that but now I am over it and I am still having problems. My blood tests are all normal and I am waiting for my chest x-ray results. I am only 37 so I do not think it is the menopause.

Comment from: Mamak, 35-44 Female Published: March 14

I get hot every night. It’s hard to sleep and most times I wake up drenched. My pillow and clothes are soaked and it happens even if I take a nap in the day time.

Comment from: jmarch, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Last night I sweated so bad I had to change my bedding and clothes three times.

Comment from: dawn, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I'm a 34 year old woman and have been getting drenching night sweats more than six years. They have gotten worse over time and I wake two times a night and have to change me and bed. All my blood work is clear. My weight is under seven stone and I can't seem to put on any more. I think it’s because I lose it by sweating so much at night.

Comment from: Lindalmcdonald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

For the last three weeks I have had terrible night sweats that wake me up three times a night. I end up having to change my clothes and my pillow case, bed sheets, and everything. I can't help but wonder why this is happening now.

Comment from: sleepy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

i went through menopause about 20 yrs ago but still continue to have night sweats. I haven't had a good night sleep in years. I have had three lumpectomies, all benign, so am reluctant to take hormone therapy.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female Published: September 10

I am 49 years old and for about 2 weeks I have been experiencing night sweats. I sweat at the back of my neck and down my chest.

Comment from: favoritehippie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had night sweats for a few years now but never paid any attention to it. Just recently I was getting them more. I would wake up in the night to tend to my children and my whole shirt is wet, cold and I can just wipe the sweat off my body. The area under me is also wet and I put a blanket over it so I can go back to sleep. Makes it very cold walking down the hallway not knowing why I'm so sweaty. I started paying attention recently and notice it happens when I get to dream a little. I know I will be writing down when I have them. I'm only 26 years of age and I have no clue what’s going on.

Comment from: Don Waltman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

I have experienced night sweats for 18 years. It started with heavy sweating of head and neck. In the beginning, I would stain my pillow in a halo shape around my head. I also had episodes where I would have sweating during the day where my sweat tasted like soap and had an extreme chemical odor. Also, I have a neurological condition which gives me stabbing pains over my entire body.

Comment from: Raggydi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm having night sweats every single night!!!! It started about 6 years ago, but it only occurred maybe once in a blue moon. Now since November it happens every night, twice a night. I'm only 38 years old.

Comment from: itty bitty, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I sweat in my sleep sometimes, but recently it’s been a lot. I wake up drenched and I have to change my bed clothes, sheets, blankets. Even when I sleep with less clothes on, the same thing happens. I wonder what this means.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I endure severe sweating at night. I end up soaking bed sheets and clothes, but I’m shivering cold while I’m having these sweats. I wake up completely drenched.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: October 04

I always sweat even if the room is not warm. I always seem to sweat around my neck and shoulder area.

Comment from: maimie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 75 yrs of age and have continual night sweats. I get a maximum of 2 hrs between each event. I am having to change my nightdress a couple of times each night. Also sleeping on a beach towel to so as not to damage the mattress. I am at a loss as to why this is happening and how I can stop it. Oh to go to bed and sleep through and wake up in a dry nightdress and bed!!! I have not been able to find anyone who can give me a reason why this is happening.

Comment from: helenah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

My boyfriend used to sweat at night. I asked him why but he did not say. Then I tested for HIV and was positive, but now he denies it and blames me.

Comment from: ajones235, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 40 year old female. I have had night sweats for over a year. I sleep with my window open and fan on year around. I sleep either without any clothes or just a short sleeved night shirt. Lately I have been running a low grade fever on and off for two and a half months and have to change my pajamas three times per night, and I have lost 15 unexplained pounds in 2 months.

Comment from: ladyrob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

When I was recovering from hip replacement surgery I suffered severe night sweats. I would wake up totally drenched and have to change my PJs and the bedclothes every night. It happened years ago when recovering from thyroid surgery too. After a while the sweats became less sever and then they stopped.

Comment from: happyman2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with pneumonia and have taken all of the medications and antibiotics. It has been about 5 days since I finished the medications and I have been waking up every night drenched with sweat and soaking wet sheets.

Comment from: filmlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. After I finished my radiation treatments, I had severe night sweats for weeks before developing pneumonia. My doctor says the pneumonia was linked to the radiation treatments. Once my pneumonia was treated with high-dose steroids, the night sweats went away (had to change several times per night, soaked through pillows, sheets, etc.) The problem is that the night sweats have come back again over the last few weeks, and I'm afraid I might be getting sick again -- even though my doc says my lungs sound clear. Sigh.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 03

I am 49 years old and I am experiencing profuse sweating during the day and at night. I have a hard time staying asleep at night because I am hot one minute, then cold the next, and I am up and down all night long. I think it might be menopause, but I’m not sure. I have never had such a hard time sleeping before and I wonder when this is going to go away. I should probably go see my doctor and get properly diagnosed. That way, I can be treated for this condition, rather than suffer from it.

Comment from: michlaub, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was just awakened again by night sweats. This time, it was so bad I had to change my tee shirt three times. My body was completely drenched. My hair was so wet, you would think I just had a shower. My tee shirts looked like someone sprayed me down with a hose. I am 41 years old and this has been happening now for well over a year. I did go to see a doctor, who told me that I may just be one of those lucky women who is going through menopause early. Yay for me.

Comment from: Kmc062808, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I’m a 54-year-old male. I was diagnosed with transitional cell bladder cancer in 2003. It came back in December of 2008 and is now in my lymph nodes. I have had the night sweats for about a year now, not every night, but most nights, I wake up soaked from my head to my waist. I was told by my oncologist it was because of the cancer. But he could not tell me why or if I could stop the sweats, so I don’t know if it is the cancer or something else. I am treating myself with an alternative cancer treatment that worked very well for me. I killed most of the cancer in my body to the point the lymph nodes were no longer detectable with a CAT scan and all my cancer markers were back in normal range. The sweats stopped. My markers slowly have climbed back up over the past year and I now have the night sweats back again. So now I know for sure that it was the cancer that is causing my night sweats, but I still don’t know why the cancer makes me sweat at night when I’m sleeping.

Comment from: mocu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Last month I came down with what was diagnosed as a bad case of pneumonia. But the symptoms also included extreme sweating every night, soaked from head to toe and all the way through the bedding. The doctors tell me that this type of heavy sweating is a typical sign of tuberculosis. As it were, I was exposed to TB in my childhood and have had "latent" (inactive) tuberculosis ever since. I am now told that I should have been treated with medication to eradicate the TB as soon as the first test came back positive (I never was treated) because latent TB can turn active even decades after contracting it, especially in older adults. So, the doctors are now convinced that I came down with active tuberculosis. For those of you who sweat at night through your clothes and bedding, you may want to have a simple TB test.

Comment from: BattleAngel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I periodically awaken during the night sweating so profusely that my hair is dripping and my bedclothes and pillow are soaking wet. I am post-menopausal without current known infection. The sweating can occur with light bedclothes, so I don't think it's related to being overly warm. I've reported it to my internal medicine physician and my hematologist (I have ITP), but neither feel the need for further testing at this time. It would appear to be merely a periodic nuisance.

Comment from: gil, 55-64 Male Published: February 05

I have been sweating when I sleep most of my life. I am 58 years old and I believe I have had this symptom since I was 16. Sometimes it is bad and sometimes I do not sweat at all. I usually feel my stomach very warm and it concerns me, other than that I feel great, eat well and exercise 3 times a week. Weigh about 172 lbs, not over weight much, work out a lot. When I am awake I feel strong and healthy. I should mention I have high blood pressure but it has been recently.

Comment from: WakeyWakey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Have been experiencing night sweats for several nights. I wake up drenched from chest to legs and have to change my nightclothes. I was thinking it was the menopause (I'm 47) but having read some information it may be the anti-depression tablets I am taking, although I have been on them for several months now.

Comment from: bg1930.com, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had night sweats three times in one week. It does not occur often, but I am concerned. I have neuropathy in my legs.

Comment from: sparksalot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have symptoms similar to ones posted. I wake up drenched. My shirt and my legs are wet. I switched sides with my BF to see if it was the heater that was making me sweat so much at night. He said he was fine. So he said it was all me. Today I decided to look it up and I am feeling strongly that I have a problem. I am usually sleeping in a cold room, relatively speaking, right next to a heater and window. Then I am in a tank top and short sleeping shorts. I should be cold if anything. I am for a while but then I wake up drenched. I also get the chills right after. I am glad I know now.

Comment from: sweetstuff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Many times I sweat around the neck and chest. Mainly, because I believe I am over-blanketed. I sleep on my side with the covers held under my chin and neck with my hands. It's usually not severe. However, whenever I have a cold or sinus/chest infection, whether I am feverish or not, I sweat profusely around my chest and neck, and sometimes upper back, enough so that I must change my tee-shirt, sometimes 3-4 times a night and the pillow and bed clothes are wet. When the cold is gone, so is this particular kind of night sweat. Also, I never sweat anywhere else usually. This has been on-going since my 20s. I am a 49 year old male. Not overweight and in relatively good shape, exercise 3-4 times a week.

Comment from: puzzled_here, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I’m a 28 year old female and I have been "suffering" with night sweats for a year now. I really didn't think anything was wrong, and the thing is I live in a little town where nurses are available, but doctors are flown in, maybe, twice a month. So the internet plays a big part and reading all the symptoms of other people going through pretty much the same thing. I know I must get to a doctor, because you never know. It can range from a simple cold to something more serious like cancer.

Comment from: jennie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Hi l’m just about to turn 48, for the last 18 months. I have been having hot flashes in the day time along with dizziness I am menopausal the doctors have said. For the last 4 months now l have had the night sweats up to 6 times a night, (not nice). I sleep with nothing on and it’s still just as bad. l throw the legs out of bed to cool off.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 03

I'm 47 and have had night sweats for about 3 years. They get worse for 7 to 10 days before my period - soaking wet all up my back into my hair. I often spend night throwing off all my covers because I am sweating only to pull them back up when my arms and legs get cold, every couple of hours - haven't had 8 continuous hours of sleep in year. So annoying!

Comment from: johnson88, 19-24 Female Published: February 01

I am a 21 year old female and I have night sweats. This just recently started about 2 months ago. I don't know what the cause is even when my bedroom is cool my husband wakes me up and he is like why are the sheets so wet and why is you pillow soaking wet. I wake up every night sweating like I have just run a marathon. My hair is naturally straight but when I wake up in the middle of the night from sweating it is extremely curly and soaking wet. My pillow is drenched and my sheets are drenched. I do a lot of tossing and turning and that is not like me. I don't know if I should go see a doctor because this is something I have never experienced and I am kind of worried.

Comment from: Sunshine Drive, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

The night sweats will start with beads of sweat around my nose and forehead, then it shifts to the back of my head in the neck area, then to the entire neck and on occasion down my chest. I have also woken at times totally soaked, legs, abdomen groin area. During the day time when I am having a hot shower I must reduce the temperature of the water. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in my early thirties, but treatment was stopped when the T4 level stayed at high normal. (I am now 60). The symptoms I am now suffering are severe anxiety, multiple bowel movements. This totally reminds me of my original thyroid diagnosis. I would just love to have that treatment back. Currently the physician is not looking at that, and is trying to increase my Ogen!

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Night sweats had them 6 weeks getting worse each night I'm 41 female I'm also having them through the day pains in my joints drooling and twitching in my left and pain on my left ear.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW