Must Read Articles:
Surgery in the Treatment of ObesityA person is considered obese when they have a BMI of 30 or more. Surgical treatment of obesity is also known as bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery. Surgery is currently the most effective treatment for morbid obesity resulting in durable and sustainable weight loss and accompanying health improvements.
Medication in the Treatment of ObesityObesity is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher. Medications used to treat obesity work by suppressing the appetite. Prescription weight-loss medications should be used only under the care of a medical professional, and only by people who are at high risk of obesity-related health problems.
Weight Loss and ControlObesity is simply the accumulation of excess body fat. It is much more than that, however. Obesity is a chronic (long-term) disease that is very difficult to treat. It takes 3,500 extra calories to gain 1 pound. To lose weight, you must eat 3,500 calories less than you need, say, 500 fewer calories per day for one week, to lose 1 pound.
What Are the Health Risks of Smoking vs ObesityBoth smoking and obesity are leading contributors to illness and death in the U.S. Smokers have a greater risk of cancer heart attack, respiratory illness (emphysema, COPD, pneumonia), high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, and aortic aneurysms. Obesity can increase a person’s risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, stroke, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, and depression.
What Is Considered ObeseWhen a person’s weight is higher than what is appropriate for their height, they are considered overweight or obese. A measure called the body mass index (BMI) is used is used to determine if a person is obese, but this formula is only a screening tool as it does not account for different builds. Bodyfat percentage is the gold standard for determining obesity.
Expert Views and News
- Obesity Amplifies Harmful Effects of Alcohol
- Severe Obesity Persists, Takes Heart Toll
- Obesity Double Hit in Pregnancy With Heart Disease
- Obesity Pegged as Diabetes Cause in Half of Cases
- Antibody Drop Fat, Up Muscle in Obesity, Diabetes
- Large Study Links Brown Fat With Health
- Cannabis Improves Liver Function With Obesity
- Treat Obesity Like Breast Cancer, With Empathy
- High BMI in Early Adulthood Linked to Alzheimer's
- Obesity Epidemic and Junk Food Consumption
- Midlife Obesity Linked to Long-term Dementia Risk
- Half of All Americans Will Be Obese
- 'Hyperpalatable' Foods Driving Obesity Epidemic
- Chronic Diarrhea Linked to Obesity
- Obesity Poses Biggest Risk for Diabetes
- Historic High as Obesity Exceeds 35 Percent
- Obesity-Associated Cancer Shifting Younger
- Food Insecurity Linked to Binge Eating Disorder
- Bariatric Surgery Only Partly Fixes Gut Flora
- Fitness Can't Counteract Fat in Heart Attack Study
- More Doubt for 'Metabolically Healthy Obesity'
- Lose Weight in Pregnancy for Healthy Baby
- Freezing Hunger-Signal May Spur Weight Loss
- US Adult Obesity Rate Jumped Over Last 20 Years
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Young Tied to Obesity
- Rising Obesity in South Leads to Diabetes Increase
- Most US Children Today Will Be Obese by Age 35
- Shift Work Increases Risk of Apple-Shaped Weight
- Obesity Affects Sperm Quality and Quantity
- 5 Deaths Reported After Balloon Obesity Treatments
- New Treatment a Weight Loss Surgery Alternative
- Obesity in Children Quadruples Their Diabetes Risk
- Fate of Lesser-Known Obamacare Benefits Not Known
- Kids With Asthma More Likely to Develop Obesity
- Parental Obesity Linked to Delays in Kids
- CDC Reports Improvement in Childhood Obesity
- Gastric Bypass May Bring Infant Nutrition Deficits
- Obesity May Age Your Brain
- Over-the-Top Burger Nabs ‘Xtreme Eating' Award
- One Person's ‘Healthy' May Be Another's Junk Food
- Sitting for a Long Time Not as Bad as Thought?
- Experts Link Hormone-Disrupting Chemicals to Diabetes, Obesity
- Is Obesity ‘Hardwired' in the Brain?
- Should I Still Take Contrave?
- Obese People Fall Into 6 Groups: Study
- New Weight Loss Drug Saxenda: FAQ
- Contrave, Newest Weight Loss Option: FAQ
- Why Aren't Rx Weight-Loss Drugs More in Demand?
- Did Your Meal Win an Xtreme Eating Award?
- Extreme Obesity Shorten Life By Up to 14 Years
- Saturated Fats: Bad, Not So Bad?
- Weight Loss Surgery for Severely Obese Teens
- Sugary Drinks and Rheumatoid Arthritis Linked?
- CDC Finds 200,000 Preventable Heart, Stroke Deaths
- Q&A: Were You Born to Be Obese?
- Does Less Housework by Women Lead to More Obesity?
- Adult Kidney Failure Tied to Excess Weight as Teen
- Top 10 Fitness Trends Picked for 2013
- Stress in Parents Linked to Obesity in Kids
- Addiction a Risk After Weight Loss Surgery
- 'Meatless Monday' May Mean More Fruits, Veggies
- Weight Watchers Gets Thumbs Up in Study
- Child Obesity Risks May Be Greater Than Thought
- Sugary Drinks and Weight Gain Linked
- Weight Loss Pill Qsymia Now for Sale
- BPA in Foods, Drinks Linked to Childhood Obesity
- By 2030, Obesity Rates Could Top 60% in 13 States
- Only Children More Likely to Be Overweight
- Obesity May Affect Breast Cancer Recovery
- Gallstones in Kids, Teens Linked to Obesity
- More Self-Control as a Child, Lower BMI as Adult?
- Excess Weight, Diabetes Raise Risk of Big Babies
- State Obesity Rankings: No Winners
- Are You in Denial About Your Weight?
- Qsymia, Belviq: New Weight Loss Drugs Compared
- FDA Approves Diet Drug Qsymia
- Playing Multiple Sports Helps Beat Teen Obesity
- Breastfeeding Fights Obesity
- Sitting Too Much May Shave Years Off of Our Lives
- FDA Approves Diet Pill Belviq
- Task Force to Doctors: Obesity Screening for All
- Bariatric Surgery Cuts Heart Attack Risk for Years
- Eat Breakfast, Cut Diabetes and Obesity Risk
- Obesity, Depression Linked to Daytime Sleepiness
- Overweight, Obese Teens Show Early Heart Risks
- Americans Living Longer but Obesity Rising
- Eggs at Breakfast May Delay Hunger
- A Better Way to Assess Body Fat and Health Risk?
- New Diet Drug Lorcaserin Wins Vote From FDA Panel
- Many Pregnant Women Fear Exercising
- Pregnancy After 40: Healthy Weight Improves Risk
- Testosterone Linked to Weight Loss in Obese Men
- New Weight Loss Plan for U.S. Obesity Crisis
- Many Moms Don't Know Their Babies Are Overweight
- Fat Future: 42% of Americans May Be Obese by 2030
- Black Pepper May Help Fight Fat
- Losing Weight May Help Lower Cancer Risk
- Shift Work May Set Stage for Obesity and Diabetes
- Make Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Genes Pinpointed for Common Childhood Obesity
- Obesity Rate in U.S. Higher Than Thought?
- Weight Loss Surgery Puts Diabetes Into Remission
- Sleep Less, Eat More?
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Weight Loss Pill Qnexa
- Fructose off the Hook for Overweight and Obesity?
- Overeating May Raise Risk for Memory Problems
- School Vending Machines Still Offer Too Many Sugary Snacks
- Heart Hormone Linked to Calorie-Burning Brown Fat
- Americans Sweet on Sugar: Time to Regulate?
- Doctor Overweight? Slim Chance of Getting Weight Loss Advice
- Does Obesity Cause Pain?
- Involving Family May Help Overweight Kids Change Habits
- Does Junk Food in Schools Matter?
- Does 'The Biggest Loser' Hurt or Help Obese People?
- Are Americans Getting Fed Up With Obesity?
- Weight Loss: Is Bypass Better than Banding?
- Diabetes Medications May Double as Weight Loss Drugs
- Mindfulness Key to Losing Weight While Eating Out
- Obesity Linked to Poor Mother-Toddler Bond
- Weight Regained in Later Years Has More Fat
- Obesity Rates Fall Among New York City School Kids
- Many Kids' Cereals Loaded With Sugar: Report
- Lower Weight May Be Early Alzheimer's Sign
- Sweets Ban at School Parties May Cut Calorie Overload
- Obese Kids Who Lose Weight May Cut Heart Risk, Too
- FDA Reconsiders Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- Fast Baby Weight Gain Predicts Child Obesity
- Lack of Sleep, Overweight Linked to Kids' Learning Problems
- Too Much Sugar in Drinks Marketed to Kids
- Binge Eating Often Overlooked in Men
- Weight Regain May Not Be Due to Lack of Willpower
- Doctors Not Stressing Follow-Up Plans With Obese Kids
- Watching Your Protein May Be Key to Weight Control
- Overweight Kids Risk High Blood Pressure
- Eating Styles Rub Off on Family and Friends
- Obesity Puts Young Kids at Risk of Social Isolation
- Parents, Kids, Doctors Balk at Talk About Weight
- Sugar Drink Habit Is Widespread in U.S.
- Obesity Prevention Should Focus on Day Care
- Better Way to Predict Weight Loss?
- Report: 164 Million Obese Adults by 2030
- Obese People Live as Long as Slimmer People
- Childhood Obesity, Drug Abuse Top Concerns for Kids
- Tool Helps Decide When to Get Weight Loss Surgery
- How Does Your Brain Respond to Food?
- Do Fast-Food Customers Read the Calorie Charts?
- Why Comfort Foods Are So Comforting
- Kids Get Extra Calories From Food Outside Home
- Food Boredom May Lead to Weight Loss
- State Obesity Rates Are on the Rise
- Overweight Teens Often Miss Obesity Screening
- Obesity Rates Are Increasing in 16 States
- Is Your House Obese-Proof?
- Gastric Banding: Cheaper Weight Loss Surgery?
- Weight Loss Surgery Fights Diabetes in Multiple Ways
- Unhealthy Eating Habits Start Early
- Fast Food Restaurants Near Schools Don't Raise Obe
- Eat Late, Gain Weight?
- Why Smokers Gain Weight When Quitting
- Weight Loss May Improve Sleep Apnea
- Food Pyramid Replacement Coming June 2
- Psoriasis in Kids Linked to Obesity, Heart Risks
- Obesity, Arthritis, and Lack of Exercise Linked
- Fat May Return After Liposuction
- CDC: Kids Lack Access to Healthy Food Choices
- Seaweed Fiber in Liquid Meals May Cut Hunger
- Alli, Xenical Should Be Pulled, Group Says
- Qnexa Yields Up to Nearly a 10% Weight Loss: Study
- Diet Plan: 6 Mini Meals or 3 Squares a Day?
- Weight Loss After Bariatric Surgery May Ease Migraines
- Sugar May Add to Weight Gain in U.S.
- Unhealthy Diet Raises Heart Risk of Obese Teens
- Apple-Shaped Obesity, Other Forms Equally Risky
- West Virginia Most Obese State, Colorado Least
- FDA OKs Lap-Band Surgery for More Patients
- Moms' Work Hours Affect Kids' Weight?
- FDA Won't Approve Weight Loss Drug Contrave
- Obesity Rates Weigh Down Cities' Budgets
- Diet Guidelines: What Not to Eat
- Baby Fat May Predict Early Obesity
- Kids' Behavior Not Linked to Obese Moms-to-Be
- Exercise More, Gain Less Weight With Age
- Kids' Diets Rarely Mimic Their Parents'
- FDA Panel Supports New Obesity Drug
Obesity Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes:
Obesity Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Orlistat blocks some of the fat that you eat, keeping it from being absorbed by your body...learn more »
Benzphetamine is a stimulant that is similar to an amphetamine. Benzphetamine is an appetite suppressant that affects the central nervous system...learn more »