Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common causes of dental pain. Pain may also occur after an extraction (tooth is pulled out). Pain sometimes originates from other areas and radiates to the jaw, thus appearing to be tooth pain. The most common areas include the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint or TMJ), ear pain, and even occasional heart problems.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Oral Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Oral Health Related Resources
Oral Health Articles
- Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease)
- Are Canker Sores a Virus?
- How Much Do Implant Teeth Cost?
- Broken or Knocked-out Teeth
- What Is the Most Common Cause of Tooth Loss in Adults?
- What Is Thrush and How Do You Get It?
- How Do You Get Rid of Black Hairy Tongue?
- What Causes Canker Sores?
- Can Stress Cause Bad Breath?
- What Causes Oral Thrush in Adults?
- Is a Root Canal Painful?
- Are Canker Sores Contagious?
- Root Canal
Oral Health Medications
- palifermin (Kepivance) (Kepivance)
- docosanol topical (Abreva, Abreva Pump) (Abreva)
- articaine and epinephrine (Septocaine) (Septocaine)
- fluoride topical (ACT Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Mint) (Fluoridex Daily Defense Enhanced Whitening, Fluorigard, Fluorinse and more)
- pilocarpine (oral) (Salagen) (Salagen)
- allantoin, camphor, and phenol (topical) (Blistex) (Blistex)
- acyclovir (topical) (Zovirax Topical) (Zovirax Topical)
- clotrimazole (Mycelex Troche) (Mycelex Troche)
- chlorhexidine gluconate (oral rinse) (Paroex, Peridex, PerioChip) (Peridex, Periogard, Perisol)
- fluoride (Altaflor, EPIFLUR, Ethedent Chewable) (Altaflor, Ethedent Chewable, Fluor-A-Day and more)
Oral Health Images and Slideshows
- Oral Care: All About Canker Sores
- The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush & Germs
- Cosmetic Dentistry Before and After Photos
- Dental Health: Diseases Caused by Unhealthy Teeth and Gums
- Oral Health: What Bad Breath Says About Your Health
- Mouth Problems: TMJ, Canker Sores, Painful Gums and More
- Treatments for Whiter Teeth and a Brighter Smile
- 19 Habits That Cause Bad Teeth
- Why We Have Wisdom Teeth: Surgery, Pain, and Treatment
- Bad Breath (Halitosis): 17 Causes and How to Get Rid of It
- Dry Mouth Causes, Treatments, and Remedies
- Picture of Allergic Reaction to Lipstick Tattoo
- Picture of Dental Makeover
- Picture of Teeth Whitening
- Picture of Yeast Infections (Thrush in Babies)
Oral Health Quizzes
Oral Health News
- Gum Disease Bacteria a Novel Treatment Target for Alzheimer's?
- Inflammation and Bone Loss in Gum Disease
- Severe Gum Disease Increases Both Cancer Risk and Mortality
- Fluoride Rinse and Varnish Equally Effective
- School Dental-Sealant Programs Prevent Cavities
- Smokeless Does Not Mean Harmless
- Fillings May Harm Neighboring Teeth
- Rx Lidocaine for Teething Pain May Cause Harm: FDA
- Grow Your Own Replacement Tooth?
- Cost, Not Fear, Keeps More People From Dentist
- Dental Fillings Linked to Slight Behavior Problems
- Missing Teeth, Cavities Common in U.S.
- Energy Drinks: Bad for the Teeth?
- Is There Proof Gum Disease Causes Heart Disease?
- Licorice Root May Cut Cavities, Gum Disease