Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common causes of dental pain. Pain may also occur after an extraction (tooth is pulled out). Pain sometimes originates from other areas and radiates to the jaw, thus appearing to be tooth pain. The most common areas include the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint or TMJ), ear pain, and even occasional heart problems.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Oral Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Oral Health Related Resources
Oral Health Articles
- Root Canal
- Why Is My Cheek Swollen and Sore on One Side?
- Oral Thrush
- Bad Breath (Halitosis)
- Broken Jaw
- Dental Abscess
- What Are the Most Common Oral Surgeries?
- What Does It Mean When Your Tongue Is White?
- What Can I Do Instead of a Root Canal?
- Can You Eat After a Root Canal?
- What Does a Metallic Taste in Your Mouth Indicate?
- What Kills a Toothache Instantly?
- How Do You Get Rid of a Toothache Overnight?
- Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease)
Oral Health Medications
- palifermin (Kepivance) (Kepivance)
- docosanol topical (Abreva, Abreva Pump) (Abreva)
- articaine and epinephrine (Septocaine) (Septocaine)
- fluoride topical (ACT Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Mint) (Fluoridex Daily Defense Enhanced Whitening, Fluorigard, Fluorinse and more)
- pilocarpine (oral) (Salagen) (Salagen)
- allantoin, camphor, and phenol (topical) (Blistex) (Blistex)
- acyclovir (topical) (Zovirax Topical) (Zovirax Topical)
- clotrimazole (Mycelex Troche) (Mycelex Troche)
- chlorhexidine gluconate (oral rinse) (Paroex, Peridex, PerioChip) (Peridex, Periogard, Perisol)
- fluoride (Altaflor, EPIFLUR, Ethedent Chewable) (Altaflor, Ethedent Chewable, Fluor-A-Day and more)
Oral Health Images and Slideshows
- What Your Tongue Says About Your Health
- Oral Care: All About Canker Sores
- The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush & Germs
- Cosmetic Dentistry Before and After Photos
- Dental Health: Diseases Caused by Unhealthy Teeth and Gums
- Oral Health: What Bad Breath Says About Your Health
- Mouth Problems: TMJ, Canker Sores, Painful Gums and More
- Treatments for Whiter Teeth and a Brighter Smile
- 19 Habits That Cause Bad Teeth
- Why We Have Wisdom Teeth: Surgery, Pain, and Treatment
- Bad Breath (Halitosis): 17 Causes and How to Get Rid of It
- Dry Mouth Causes, Treatments, and Remedies
- Picture of Dental Makeover
- Picture of Teeth Whitening
- Picture of Yeast Infections (Thrush in Babies)