Oral Herpes

What were the symptoms and signs of your oral herpes? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ahmed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

We had a lot of extended family living with us, and at night there was a lot of food and love, and after 2 days some of us noticed some tingling in our lips. After the 3rd day some of us started breaking out; we thought it was just spots on our lips but my uncle who had what we thought was a spot on his lip said sometimes people can catch it. My mother and father had it the worst, with big sores on their lips. My mother couldn't speak because of the pain but she doesn't usually speak much anyway. She wanted to go to the doctor but didn't. I was told by the chemist that I should take Zovirax so I bought a few tubes of it for the rest of my family.

Comment from: sandra d., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

I got oral HSV1 and genital HSV1. I took Advil for the fever, drank plenty of fluids, and my urgent care doctor cured it. I spent almost the entire month of January inside and away from people because I was so depressed over my diagnosis. Then I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she told me that with the right care and vitamins there was still a chance that reoccurring outbreaks could be very rare if at all. I've only had one outbreak since then and it was one sore in my mouth. I still get upset but when I evaluate my life I realize (in my situation) it's manageable. I just have to pay close attention to my body for outbreaks, take extra care of myself in the sun or stressful situations, and if I do have an outbreak, be sure to watch that people don't eat or drink after me to protect them from contracting it.

Comment from: Randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I contracted oral HSV1 after contact with an infected girl. My attacks are mild but since I use Just For Men to color my goatee I get it once a week due to the irritation of the skin. I take 2000 mg of L-Lysine daily and that helps a lot. Now I have to give up Just For Men and let my goatee be white!

Comment from: notcontagious?, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been having cold sores (oral herpes) on my mouth since I was a teenager. I assume my mother gave it to me and my sister when we were kids because I remember her having 'fever blisters' since forever and she used to kiss us kids when she had them. I have about 1 to 3 breakouts a year. I usually use Abreva but find it doesn't help. It takes about 10 full days to totally heal. I am great at applying make up to hide them.

Comment from: Bent... not Broken, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I just found out I have herpes (type 1) today. My world is shattered, but reading all of your posts makes me feel a little better.

• Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage?

How do you manage your oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection?

Post View 38 Comments
  • Oral Herpes - Treatment

What was the treatment for your oral herpes?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Oral Herpes - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting oral herpes?

Post
  • Oral Herpes - Experience

Please describe your experience with oral herpes.

Post View 2 Comments

Ayoade, Folusakin O. "Herpes Simplex." Medscape. Mar. 9, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218580-overview>.

"Herpes Simplex." American Academy of Dermatology. <https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/herpes-simplex>.

Pinninti, Swetha G. "Pediatric Herpes Simplex Virus Infection." Medscape.com. Apr. 10, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/964866-overview>.

Salvaggio, Michelle R. "Herpes Simplex." Medscape.com. Sept. 18, 2015. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218580-overview>.