Oral Herpes

What was the treatment for your oral herpes? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: anon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first outbreak of oral herpes, one blister on my lip, a few weeks ago. I went to the doctor and tested positive for Herpes 1 antibodies. I contracted it sometime in the last year and a half. I've read that you typically break out shortly after the infection and that might have happened but it's typical for a lot of people to have very mild reactions. Looking back now there have been a few times where that area of my lip has tingled and felt weird but I always thought it was just dry lips. Until a few weeks ago I never blistered and even when it did it didn't look anything like the pictures I googled. I'm saying all of this so that other people might think twice about their symptoms and get tested. Not everyone gets multiple, awful sores. I'm also reading a lot on this board about taking Lysine. Up until the first antiviral drugs were developed in the 1980s doctors did prescribe it. But after many clinical trials there is no proof that lysine helps at all. Before anyone else writes 'but lysine keeps my outbreaks small,' consider that you might also be someone that doesn't react horribly to the virus. It might just be a coincidence. In fact constant use of it can hurt liver function. Talk to you doctor and see what he/she says but sticking to prescribed drugs is probably the best way to minimize outbreaks.

Comment from: whocares, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I have oral herpes but luckily I only get maybe 1 sore a year and that's it. But not as bad as everyone describes here. I've never taken anything for it either. Apparently most people have this.

Comment from: Mm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have been plagued by outbreaks on my lips since I was 8 years old. I'm 50 years old now. Last year I saw an Ayurveda practitioner about this condition. He took me off all caffeine, chocolate, coffee and all nightshades, including white potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers and paprika. I also take 1000 mg of Lysine every day. I went for over a year without any symptoms. When I decided I could reintroduce coffee, I had another outbreak. Never again!

Comment from: RaC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

When I feel my lip start to hurt or tingle I start taking lysine. I take 1000mg twice daily and if I take lysine, which is over the counter medicine, it will clear up in 2-3 days.

• Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage?

How do you manage your oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection?

Post View 38 Comments
  • Oral Herpes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your oral herpes?

Post View 5 Comments
  • Oral Herpes - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting oral herpes?

Post
  • Oral Herpes - Experience

Please describe your experience with oral herpes.

Post View 2 Comments

Ayoade, Folusakin O. "Herpes Simplex." Medscape. Mar. 9, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218580-overview>.

"Herpes Simplex." American Academy of Dermatology. <https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/herpes-simplex>.

Pinninti, Swetha G. "Pediatric Herpes Simplex Virus Infection." Medscape.com. Apr. 10, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/964866-overview>.

Salvaggio, Michelle R. "Herpes Simplex." Medscape.com. Sept. 18, 2015. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218580-overview>.