Oral Herpes

How do you manage your oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Just Me, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I have a standing prescription for acyclovir that I can refill whenever I want and almost always keep some on hand in my backpack and always have some at home. When I first feel the symptoms of oral herpes I take 20 mg, then two more doses of 10 mg pills. I take 2-3 of those pills daily for about 5 days. I also use a wicked topical combination of Abreva to help keep the sores smaller, Campho-Phenique to dry the blisters that do form, and Herpecin-L lip balm to keep the blisters and my lips moist so they heal faster. With all this, my sores cleared up entirely within 7 days and they never got very big this time around.

Comment from: ThankGodForNature, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had my first outbreak of oral herpes nearly 4 years ago. Of all the horridness, the pain and itching were unbearable. I literally freaked out as my general physician said that it had no cure. The outbreaks were not that frequent initially, but every time I'd fall sick, it would resurface. I had so many sores this year that I was desperate to try anything to get rid of them. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try this remedy; rescue kit with homeopathic H-factor nosodes from Biogetica. I looked up their site and indeed they have had immense success with this product. They also have some research going on for an ingredient. I quickly ordered the product and started using the remedies. I'm so relieved to say that I've not had even one outbreak for a whole month now. Moreover, I'm feeling great from within. I truly endorse this product, it really works.

Comment from: NicoleTrinity, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 20

I am so happy today because I am free from oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection. I have been having oral herpes since the past two years now, and I have passed through many different processes in getting cured from the diseases of HSV2 but nothing was working out. A friend of mine introduced me to a doctor who sent me herbal medicines which he prepared for me, and my life get transformed and everything is fine and okay with me. Till now I have been going to check up and it is now going to four be months and I am still negative.

Comment from: The kid, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 15 now and have had oral herpes since I could remember I have an out about 9 times a year it's so embarrassing I miss so much school because of it l. I feel like it controls my life. I have severe asthma and bad allergies this makes me miserable I even had if before my first kiss. I'm talking since I was 6 or 7. I don't know if I passed it on but I didn't know at first I thought it was an outbreak from allergies.

Comment from: Simba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I found out today that I have antibodies for herpes 1 (oral). No cold sores. However, symptoms have been white tongue, and awful mouth odor. I continue to have vaginal odor itching, burning sensation, however, test results negative for vaginal herpes. I'm 65 years old.

Comment from: optomisticd, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I contracted it when I was 16. I was messing with a girl I didn't even know. I never knew what I had until I researched cold sores. Now I get depressed because I get embarrassed whenever I break out. I also am scared to date because I wouldn't want to give this away to anyone. I even feel afraid telling the girl I am dating now and I haven't kissed her. She always asks if there something I want to tell her but I just don't have the courage because I really like her. Maybe dating isn't an option anymore. I will go to my doctor and get medication to slow the outbreaks around my lips.

Comment from: Ivettavalos45, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

Herpes simplex: the gift that keeps on giving. I have been dealing with cold sores ever since a brief fling I had as a teenager. I usually get an outbreak once a year. I have tried some homeopathic remedies with mixed results.

Comment from: Mother of 4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have had oral herpes since I was a child. My mother has them too, and does nothing to stop the spread. It's hard to not kiss my children all the time, but they grow up knowing that "when mommy has a lip owie, she can't kiss." They give me kisses on my forehead instead and we have extra hugs. It is also very painful to not kiss my husband. However, I am 100% determined to not pass this on to anyone, especially those I love. I mostly want to thank those who feel the way I do, but are as determined as I am to not pass this on. Thank You.

Comment from: brandkn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I stay away from coffee, chocolate, or anything high in arginine, and caffeine. When I eliminated these form my diet, I realized I had less breakouts. Abreva is very useful also. It kept the recovery periods short for me if i do have one. I also started using lysine-heavy lip balms.

Comment from: onenightstand, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I got HSV1 just by having oral sex. He gave me oral HSV1 and genital HSV1. I took Advil for the fever, drank plenty of fluids, and my urgent care doctor prescribed an off brand of Valtrex for the outbreaks. I spent almost the entire month of January inside and away from people because I was so depressed over my diagnosis. Especially because I was still a virgin and under the impression that I would never have a sex life or find someone that would still want to be with me because I felt damaged and dirty. Then I went to my OB/GYN and she told me that with the right care and vitamins there was still a chance that reoccurring outbreaks could be very rare if not at all. I've only had one outbreak since then and it was one sore in my mouth. I'm currently in a stable relationship and he knows about the entire situation 100%. I still get upset about what happened that night when I contracted the virus, but when I evaluate my life I realize (in my situation) it's manageable. I just have to pay close attention to my body for outbreaks, take extra care of myself in the sun or stressful situations, and if I do have an outbreak, be sure to watch that people don't eat or drink after me to protect them from contracting the virus as well.

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I used Valtrex. I drank lots of water, and I took Advil for the pain.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: December 27

I've been getting cold sores at least once a year for about 8 yrs now. The past couple years I've been managing the outbreak by taking lysene and using Abreva. My sores last less than a week this way and sometimes when I get the symptoms and no sores yet, I treat it and they never erupt. This has helped me a great deal since I had never his this problem until I reached adulthood.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

In September 2011 I got oral herpes. It was on my tongue, the insides of my cheeks, the insides of my lips, and on my lips. This lasted 2 weeks of which i felt very poorly and was off work. 6 months to the week (March 2012) I got it again. Less severely, but none the less, very painful, and again for another 2 weeks. I continued to work at this time. 6 months to the week (Sept 2012) I got it again. The first week all sores were in my mouth, on my tongue, cheeks and inside my lips. After a week it felt like it was clearing. A couple of days later my lips were on fire, my mouth was getting worse. This time I felt quite poorly and had a week of work. Had temperature of 102, neck ache, headaches, tired and a very sore mouth and lips. All times, the Doctors gave me 800mg Aciclovir dispersible tablets for a week, taking 5 a day. This last time I also had antibiotics. I lost a bit of weight, had the shakes, because I was not eating and certainly no where near drinking enough. This last time to date has lasted upto 17 days and still I have a couple of sores on my tongue. The downfall for me is not only having it at them times, but it falls on my birthday and mother's day every time!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I found out that I had herpes when I was 16 just about to turn 17. Three months before that I gave birth to my oldest child and I was checked for everything and all tests came back negative. In September of that year I started messing around with a guy that was a friend of the family. On his 21st birthday he asked me to go camping with him and a bunch of friends, I said I'd go. We slept together that night and within three days after sleeping with him I had my first outbreak. My mom took me to my doctor and they confirmed my worst fear ever. I had herpes. That has been almost eleven years ago this year. Every time I have an outbreak I get so mad at the guy that gave it to me because he didn't tell me. He has since passed it to over 20 females and didn't tell them either. I have to watch how I manage my stress level and everything around me in my day to day life. If I had known back then that this guy had it I would have never slept with him, but everything happens for a reason they say. I have had several sexual partners since finding out and they have never gotten it because have been careful. I also have to be careful because I have two small children at home with me and I have to be so careful when an outbreak occurs. This guy needs to be stopped from spreading this to every female he sleeps with and the worst part about it is that his family knows and protects him.

Comment from: SamuraiShonanJapan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I just turned 58. Although I got a flu shot, which is important as I have asthma, I came down with the flu! Half way through that, my chin suddenly got two sores, and I could not chew food. Missed two out of five days of work, but went to the doc today. HV1 oral. It really hurts to eat. Just got married again, but now I've got to keep my mouth away from my lady, at least for a month. That is sad. Stay strong, young people.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a 16 year old girl, and just found out less than a week ago that I have herpes. I have only been sexually active with two people, and neither of them told me they had herpes or showed signs of having herpes. After getting the blisters on my no-no area, my sisters took me to the gyno and they tested me for all STDs. the doctor confirmed what I already knew, and the worst part of it was telling my kind of sort of/not really boyfriend I had it. He was so understanding and said he was sorry. I also have HSV-1, which is oral herpes but I didn't get it in or on my mouth, only on my hoo-ha. I hope I never get it in my mouth or anywhere where anyone can see it. This is definitely the worst thing that has happened to me.

Comment from: Anonymous, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am currently having an outbreak. It makes me hate my life. I'm scared to ever be sexual with anyone and most depressed that this is how I am supposed to live my life. I'm in my twenties, still single and hopeless. I hope they find a cure because it is outright embarrassing and I don't know really how to be happy, I worry about it every day. I use Lysine and I have a prescription I take, but this is a condition I would never want anyone to get.

Comment from: Male, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

It's the most embarrassing thing anyone could contract and it had smashed my self-esteem my whole life. I manage it by using lip balm every day and keeping as hydrated as possible! I still get them when I'm really stressed or fatigued for too long. Every girlfriend I have had I have told about my condition. Either they don't care or don't want anything to do with me and that's fine but I know there is no cure (yet) and it's a part of who I am.

Comment from: unlucky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Both my husband and I were diagnosed shortly after our marriage-- a distant cousin came to visit and she told me she had HSV 1 after I had shared drinks, cigarettes, and yep- lip balm with her. I feel lucky to have never had an outbreak on my mouth but my husband has had 2 in the past year-- thankfully they were extremely mild outbreaks (1 sore that came back in the same place) and the medication helps a lot. Valtrex twice daily but it's still embarrassing for him.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a period of several years where I had frequent outbreaks. They were very severe and I was treated with Zovirax.

Comment from: overit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm in my late 20s and have been getting sores on my lips for the past few years. This is by far the most embarrassing thing I have ever had to deal with. I left work early today and called in for the week, I work in customer service and there is not a chance in I'd be seen with this blister on my lips. Right when I felt it tingle it was already noticeable.

Comment from: slarty42, 45-54 Male Published: October 31

I have had outbreaks of cold sores for about 30 years now & the best treatment I have come across was given to me many years ago. It's quite simple and very cheap, at the FIRST sign of a tingle of any kind that I have come to recognize as a precursor to the outbreak I immediately take an ice cube and wrap it in a paper towel and hold it tightly against the place that is tingling until the ice cube is completely melted. 99 % of the time this completely prevents the cold sore from coming out.

I use Abreva as soon as the swelling starts until it is gone. The sore will heal much faster and not get as big. It's expensive, but it works.

I used my friends lip balm because my lips were very chapped. She had a cold sore and the next day the lymph nodes in my neck were swollen and very painful if touched. The day after that I had the biggest cold sore-it even impressed my doctors. It hurt to talk, eat, smile, and especially laugh. I didn't go to school until it went away. I'm 21 now and I take 500 mg of Valtrex when I wake up and before I go to bed each day. My lips are red, dry, peeling, painful, and itchy every day. Some days worse than others, but it is all I ever think about. The Valtrex can keep the actual blisters away but the tingling and pain is still there every day. They are never completely healed, and it's very difficult to cope with. I try hiding the redness with make-up. My boyfriend complains because I don't kiss him enough but it hurts to and I don't want to spread it. Some days I come home from work early because I have a headache and my lips and throat are dry and hurt so bad. I don't want to go out so I just lay in the tub and read so no one can see my lips. Using my friend's lip balm was the biggest mistake of my life. As much as I'm made fun of I never share anything to this day.

Comment from: goodtimes39, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I contracted oral herpes from my wife (ex-wife now) in June 2008. She had boyfriend. I left and filed for divorce. We were always clean through our eight years until this happened. We had blood tests prior to marriage, etc. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I just started taking Valtrex and had outbreak last week and today is day seven on three Valtrex daily. I was almost healed after 4 days. That stuff is amazing. Due to costs, and no insurance I am switching from Valtrex to Zovirax and starting a daily dosage. It's affordable! Also instead of always waiting for an outbreak, I already feel better knowing I am facing this finally. I haven't been on a date since before my ex-wife in 2008. I wouldn't give this to anyone.

Comment from: terrified, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had cold sores on the outside of my mouth before. I always use a lip balm with at least spf15 in it. Recently I have developed them on the inside of my mouth. I have never felt so much pain before the dentist said it wasn't uncommon. I beg to differ with him. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was given Valtrex so I hope it works for me. This is crazy and I was only 14 when I came into contact with this and I never knew what it was until I was in my early 20's. I don't want to live with these outbreaks ever again. Now I worry if it isn't something more!

Comment from: Linda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have oral herpes. When I broke out the first time I had no idea what was wrong with me. I didn't think sores on my mouth could make me that sick. When I got to the point that I could eat, I saw my doctor. He gave me an anti viral medicine so it wouldn't get worse, and medicine called "Magic Mouth". It numbed my mouth enough to eat and drink, and at night I could swallow it and it would help me sleep.

Comment from: Anonomous, 25-34 Female Published: November 22

I had herpes in my mouth and I was in the hospital for two whole weeks. My entire mouth had sores right from my throat to my lips and I could not eat or talk swallow. This is the worst and most embarrassing thing have could ever happen to somebody. The doctors could not help me, so I was put on IV fluids and lost a lot of weight.

Published: April 22

I have oral herpes, and you would never know that I had it, except for the itchy, bubbly sore on my lips. Other than that, I feel fine. I have no fever or anything. I use a poison ivy medicine called “Ivy Dry” when I first get the tingling. I apply Ivy Dry and the sores start to heal right away. I don't even get those nasty little red sores anymore.

Comment from: kat, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I have herpes in my mouth, on my tongue and throat. It is the most awful pain I have experienced in my life apart from giving birth. I have had it 4 times in the last 6 years. It usually happens when I am run down or have a terrible cold. This time it happened after having the swine flu vaccination, which appears to have affected my immune system. To be honest, nothing has helped, much but I did use an oral gel on the blisters just so that I could swallow painkillers and acyclovir. I could not speak, eat or drink properly for seven days. I hope nobody ever suffers from this awful condition.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I take lysine supplements twice daily (500mg each), combined with sunscreen anytime I'll be outside. This keeps outbreaks to a minimum. If I feel an outbreak coming, I up the dose of lysine, and apply Abreva. This usually stops it from occurring, or drastically minimizes the outbreak and speeds recovery.

Comment from: Lizard Lips, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have found that I often get cracked lips (especially in the corners) after an outbreak. One of my doctors finally figured out that this was a fungal infection caused by all of the ointments that I used for the sores. Ask your doctor if you can't get these cracks to clear up. I tried antibiotic creams, cold sore creams, etc., and the only thing that was effective was an antifungal cream. Hydrocortisone cream helped sometimes too.

Comment from: Mickey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I take 4 grams of Valtex at the first sign of an outbreak (usually itching or redness) and I have not had a full outbreak in over three years.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I take Valtrex on a regular basis. If I stop taking it, the blisters return.

Comment from: Gabriella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I get painful swelling and blisters around my tongue, and eventually it would get to my lips as a cold sore. I am using VRL-X by Olympian Labs, and it really works. It was given to me in a health food store. It shortens the cold sore cycle more than anything else I tried. I was given VK-penicillin by a doctor, but got hives from it.

Comment from: rogjo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I use to break once or twice a year, now it's average is 3 1/2 weeks. It's getting worse each time. My dentist prescribed zovirax, but it's not a preventive medicine, after 2 days the swelling goes down so I can leave the house but that's it.

Comment from: kiara, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

People with oral herpes should stay away from sunlight as much as possible. Too much exposure to the sun can irritate the skin further. Unscented bath and hygiene products should be used during treatment. A patient should wear loose clothing made of natural fabric such as cotton. Medications such as ibuprofen and aspirin can be taken to lessen the pain. Patting the irritated skin with cool, clean cloth can also soothe pain and discomfort. Infected persons should always wash their hands all the time and they should avoid touching the mouth or the eyes after touching the sores.

Comment from: random82, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I am 30 years old and I have herpes, I got it in 2004 when my boyfriend cheated on me. I really hate him not for cheating, but for infecting me with it. Well after that I met my now husband and he was very understanding of the situation we have been together for 8 years now and have two beautiful kids. Until this day he does not have herpes. I take really good care of myself I wouldn't want him to get it too. But I hate it when I get an outbreak, it makes me feel miserable and mad and even ashamed. I feel like my life stops at that moment.

• Oral Herpes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your oral herpes?

Post View 5 Comments
  • Oral Herpes - Treatment

What was the treatment for your oral herpes?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Oral Herpes - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting oral herpes?

Post
  • Oral Herpes - Experience

Please describe your experience with oral herpes.

Post View 2 Comments

Ayoade, Folusakin O. "Herpes Simplex." Medscape. Mar. 9, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218580-overview>.

"Herpes Simplex." American Academy of Dermatology. <https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/herpes-simplex>.

Pinninti, Swetha G. "Pediatric Herpes Simplex Virus Infection." Medscape.com. Apr. 10, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/964866-overview>.

Salvaggio, Michelle R. "Herpes Simplex." Medscape.com. Sept. 18, 2015. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218580-overview>.