Viewer Comments: Osteoporosis - Treatment

Osteoporosis:Are Your Bones at Risk?

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis:

Osteoporosis - Treatment

Please describe how you're treating your osteoporosis.

Anonymously share your comment to help others.Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: purdylady773, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

For osteoporosis I am working on strengthening my bones by doing weight walking with a weighted vest made for women. I am also eating a very clean diet, lots of greens, vitamin A, C, and B, all the vitamins. But I eat them in food as this way they are better absorbed by my body. And I am taking foods with vitamin K2 such as butter by Kerrygold from Ireland which is from grass fed cows and full of vitamin K2. So far my doctor said to keep it up. My bones are getting stronger and I feel stronger.

Comment from: alice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

For a few years I had a spot right below my neck that was numb. Then later I started having pains in my shoulders that ran down my arms. Sleeping was terrible because I like to sleep on my side but it would wake me up and I could barely put my arms back down. X-rays showed degeneration in the discs of my neck. Then I started having pain so bad in my hips that it woke me up at night. I had a bone density scan which showed osteoporosis in my left hip, and the right is on its way. I have pain in my lower back that runs down my legs. It is miserable. I am on a weekly pill (alendronate), calcium, and vitamin D. The doctor said my spine looks good. I haven't had a good night's sleep in months and it's starting to wear me down. I even bought a new mattress that helps some.

Comment from: Cm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis last week, but the story I want you to know is that 6 years ago I was put on Fosamax for osteopenia, which I think my doctor rushed the gun on that one. I had the most awful side effects with that drug, every joint in my body ached for 2 months. I discontinued it and would advise anyone to research this drug before trying it.

Comment from: Mrs B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

At 65 years of age I requested a bone density test to be done. I had no symptoms at all. In fact a close friend mentioned it to me. That test revealed that I do have osteoporosis. After being on Fosamax for a few years, I read that I could have degeneration of the jaw bone which concerned me and I called my doctor's office and was switched to Actonel. My condition did not improve and other medications were suggested. Currently I am using a calcium supplement hoping that my condition will improve.

Comment from: Annette, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I just finished an 8 month course of daily Forteo injections and bone density is improved.


Must Read Articles Related to Osteoporosis

Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease ...learn more >>
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is often used in treating the learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis:

Osteoporosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoporosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Osteoporosis - Share Your Experience

Do you or a relative have osteoporosis? Please share your experience.

Viewer Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on eMedicineHealth. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. eMedicineHealth does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Medical Dictionary

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors