Outpatient Surgery Instructions

What did you do to prepare for your outpatient surgery? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: jandutch33, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I recently had back surgery at a local hospital. After the procedure and recovery I spent 24 hours in a hospital (total 30 hours). I received an invoice from the hospital for medicine administered during that time. After checking with Medicare, the hospital and the surgeon's office I learned that the doctor had registered me as an out-patient and in that case medicines were not covered by Medicare. I learned that outpatient surgery does not exclude a hospital stay.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care.

1. Bready L, Mullins R. Decision Making in Anesthesiology. Vol 3. Mosby-Year Book; 1999.
2. Miller RD, Reves JG, Miller ED Jr, Cucchiara R. Anesthesia. 5th ed. Churchill-Livingstone; 2000.
3. Stoelting RD, Dierdorf SF. Anesthesia and Co-existing Disease. 3rd ed. Churchill-Livingstone; 1993.
4. Stoelting RD, Miller RD. Basics of Anesthesia. 3rd ed. Churchill-Livingstone; 1994.
5. Stoelting RK. Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1999.