Outpatient Surgery Instructions

What problems, if any, did you experience as a result of your outpatient surgery? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: C, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had outpatient surgery for an open biopsy in my thigh after the initial biopsy was inconclusive. I was not given any prescription for post-surgery pain since I was already on a low dose of methadone for my back and was told this would be sufficient. The night after the surgery I started sweating and feeling uneasy so I took half a dose of methadone and it did not help until I had taken 30 mg. I'm normally on 20 mg a day but had to take extra just to get some sleep. I informed my pain management.

Comment from: wolfman , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I had outpatient surgery on my throat, and now I can hardly move. I am stove up all over.

Comment from: kattman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I could not have a colonoscopy as an outpatient procedure because I don't have anyone to escort me to procedure. Some people don't have friends or want any.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care.

1. Bready L, Mullins R. Decision Making in Anesthesiology. Vol 3. Mosby-Year Book; 1999.
2. Miller RD, Reves JG, Miller ED Jr, Cucchiara R. Anesthesia. 5th ed. Churchill-Livingstone; 2000.
3. Stoelting RD, Dierdorf SF. Anesthesia and Co-existing Disease. 3rd ed. Churchill-Livingstone; 1993.
4. Stoelting RD, Miller RD. Basics of Anesthesia. 3rd ed. Churchill-Livingstone; 1994.
5. Stoelting RK. Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1999.