Ovarian Cysts

What symptoms did you experience when you have/had ovarian cyst(s)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: claudiapalmerx, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 21. I have been getting a lot of swelling in my right calf with a dull ache like a period pain. Now I am getting really bad restless legs. It is always swells when I am due. I went to the doctors to find I have a cyst on my ovaries. I am going back next week to speak about the next move.

Comment from: sepherina , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a lot of pain in my lower and mid back, and swelling and bloating in my stomach. It was very uncomfortable. Never did I imagen pain from ovarian cysts would be so bad. I felt like I was going into labor, no woman should have to feel this type of pain.

Comment from: Disgusted, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Since March 2017 had back pain radiating to groin and leg associated with vomiting. I had several episodes every few weeks. I went to the doctors who thought it could be irritable bowel syndrome! Two months ago I got rushed into hospital with abdominal pain and vomiting. I had CT and ultrasound scan and was told I had a 10 cm mass on my left ovary. I'm 58 and five years post-menopause. I was told it was a tubo-ovarian abscess. I was pumped full of antibiotics for a week and sent home with oral antibiotics having been told they wanted things to settle down and they would see me back in 6 weeks. I read tubo-ovarian abscess is very rare in post-menopausal women. I went for second opinion privately who did MRI scan and was told I had a borderline ovarian tumor. I funded operation privately. I had total hysterectomy and was told post operation the cyst had twisted and I had a black necrotic ovary! If I had been left to mid-November for follow up at NHS hospital I would have been extremely unwell with peritonitis. I was told I should have had emergency surgery when originally I went to the NHS hospital. How bad is that!

Comment from: HeidiJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am almost 2 years out from total hysterectomy leaving in both ovaries. Back several months I started having painful intercourse (similar to endometriosis pain before surgery). I ignored it. Until the pain got so intense I couldn't stand it and it never stopped. Pain radiated in my back, down my thighs, I felt bloated, gassy and constipated, had frequent urination, and was exhausted all the time. After my pelvic exam I had an ultrasound which shows 2 small cysts and only right ovary is visible. I'm waiting for my doctor to consult with a specialist now and tell me what's next. I have family history of uterine, ovarian and kidney cancers, all in young maternal aunts.

Comment from: cachuda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am in my mid 40s and for months I knew something was off down there but couldn't pinpoint it. Perhaps it is just peri-menopause. Something started to feel out of place with pelvic/vaginal pressure. As time went by, I developed some weird off and on all over leg pains and heat sensations in legs, and had unexplained back ache for a while. Then later felt like a water balloon was in my pelvis and had cramping especially after repeatedly bending over. I thought it was prolapse but pelvic exam did not confirm this. I was a runner for years and now have too many pains all over hips, legs, and low back to run at all anymore; and muscles pulling all over in weird ways in lower body. I suppose this could have something to do with hormonal imbalances or arthritis as coincident to ovarian cyst(s).

Comment from: RachelRose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was on birth control to avoid a period due to my fear of my severe endometriosis returning as bad as before, so I ordered a NuvaRing from another country which is no matter since my body become immune to every birth control. So I was having bad side effects and had to take it out. When I did a weak later I know something ruptured and the pain while the thing popped was so severe, and blood just poured out of me. I didn't bleed for long. I was so tired and due to the severe pain I couldn't stand up straight, I passed out from blood loss and pain. I woke up to use the bathroom but was in such a fog I woke up thinking it was Tuesday and 3 days past! I was out for days. I have had this before after using birth control. I also got pregnant on 2 forms of birth control, I lost that child but after the D and C and miscarriage the doctors told my fiance and I couldn't get pregnant for another 3 months. Seven days later I got pregnant. I have severe endometriosis. Yet the second child I carried 4 months but hemorrhaged from the last miscarriage and it was not good that right after anesthesia I got pregnant. Either way I don't know what's going on with my body. I know the endometriosis has affected my lungs and my heart. I also know they found a brain lesion while I bleed so think it has affected the brain also. I'm reading about ovarian cysts but wonder why it has not just blacked anyone else out for days. The bleeding is only 2 days first day just a pop then pouring out then that's it. The pain level is not acute it is severe. I have metal parts and that hurts worse. So I'm confused a bit.

Comment from: DONNA SANDRA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I'm 32 years old and about 7 months ago I started feeling a sharp pain on my right side and my doctor confirmed that I had a 2.7 inch ovarian cyst. I was on birth control pills for several weeks only to find out that my cyst grew to 3.4 inch. My doctor then suggested surgery.

Comment from: jacqueline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I have been having extreme pelvic pain since I was 17. I could always tell when I ovulated. I was sent to specialists and gynecologists all my life. I would curl up in a ball for days from pain. I would have ultrasounds. They would say it was just an ovarian cyst. Today at 52 I still feel like I am giving birth. It hurts awfully. I feel like my cervix is being ripped in half. It hurts to urinate, hurts to have bowel movement, sex is out of the question. I have severe pain in my back, down my thighs, fevers and bone chilling tremors. I can't wait for the wonderful experience of menopause, which hopefully doesn't last 35 years.

Comment from: DawnB, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm 31 and about 7 or 8 weeks ago I started having back pain. Then it moved into my front lower pelvic area and then once again moved this time into my right hip so bad I couldn't lift my leg without horrible pain and had trouble sleeping. Then the pain started to spread into my leg. Very tight and crampy! In addition to the pain I had major bloating, the appearance of 6 or 7 months pregnancy, fatigue, hot flashes, and random headaches. After putting up with this for 5 weeks I finally caved in and went to urgent care. She did a full pelvic exam, Pap and urine test (negative). She could feel that something was going on with my right ovary. So she sent me for an ultra sound. The ultra sound showed something on my right ovary, two different technicians thought it was a 6 week old fetus! But I had a negative pregnancy test last week. Thirty minutes after my appointment my obstetrician/gynecologist called me and told me to rush to the emergency room right away for emergency surgery! After 7 hours in the waiting room they call me back and tell me the blood pregnancy test was also negative. So it must just me a hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst. No surgery go home and call your obstetrician/gynecologist first thing in the morning for a follow up. She doesn't want to see me for 2 weeks! Eight weeks later I'm still exhausted and my leg (buttocks and hip) cramps are debilitating at times. And my hormones are out of control (I cried for 10 hours after the nurse made me feel crazy for trying to get an earlier appointment)! I have a hard time buying their diagnosis. But I haven't even got to talk to anyone about why or what this is and when or how I will feel better. Everyone said to talk to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she is seriously making me wait two weeks! So I had to self-diagnose by googling!

Comment from: molly101, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been diagnosed with endometriosis since 23 years old, which I believe I suffered with while I was a teenager. After 3 surgeries (last one being a hysterectomy), I am left with one ovary on the left side and was told that I had a 1 inch cyst on it. That was 7 weeks ago. I am in constant pain and my doctor tells me one time that it is a hemorrhagic cyst and then says it is a functional cyst. She cannot get her story straight. This is the same doctor that gave me my hysterectomy 9 weeks ago. I am going for a second opinion. I have been in pain since the surgery. I am now having other pains in places that I would not wish anyone to have pain. I am tired of cysts and tired of pain altogether. I am still young (late 30s). I seem to have swapped out one pain for another.

Comment from: jasper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I am 21 years old and I was diagnosed with bilateral ovarian cysts. The one on the right was about 9 cm big and the one on the left was basically like two tennis balls growing onto each other with a diameter of 7.7 cm. This caused me so much pain over the years and my medical practitioners were telling that it was kidneys that was inflamed due to infection but I wasn't even sexually active at the time. It was only when I was 21 and joined my medical aid scheme I got so sick at work, and I had terrible pains on the right side of my abdomen. I went and saw a doctor, she couldn't understand what was wrong so she sent me to a have a scan done and there I discover my cysts. I was hysterical but knew I had to get rid of them as they had caused me pain for so many years. I then took up the courage to see a gynecologist and showed her results from my sonar. She was so shocked that a young lady my age could have cysts that big and recommended that I have to have my cysts surgically removed. I was frightened but I had to. I went through with the surgery and it was a success. I had a C section to remove my massive cysts but all went well. I was in hospital for three days and the pain I experienced was worth it because I now live my life pain free. All I now wonder is how long it will take me to conceive. My gynecologist told me that I will be able to have 6 kids but I haven't even had luck so far with 1. I wonder if I am stressing for nothing.

Comment from: worrier, Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I am 20 years old, always had regular periods but just last year I began spotting during ovulation and having bowel issues. Convinced I was dying, I kept researching and just kept finding more scary stuff. I had pain on my left side around ovulation every month. I went to the doctor and a small cyst was found on my left ovary. Relief! The doctor said it will most likely resolve on its own, which is good, but why would a small cyst cause symptoms like pain, bloating, and spotting during ovulation!

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had been experiencing frequent urination due to the size of the cyst in addition to night sweats and nonstop pelvic pain that felt like having to go to the bathroom really badly. I had a 5 cm hemorrhagic cyst when diagnosed. I had been experiencing the pelvic pain for months before I finally sought a diagnosis because it kept getting worse.

Comment from: Scared Woman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I found out about my ovarian cyst the hard way. One night after soaking in a hot bath I began to feel light headed. I thought it was from the steam. I lay down and a couple hours later I experienced the most excruciating pain ever. I couldn't stand up. The pressure on my stomach was horrible. My husband and I both thought I had gas. He gave me orange juice (both of us didn't know what was going on). I later vomited three times before we made it to the emergency room (ER). The pain was like contractions and in my mind I thought I was pregnant but I knew I couldn't be. After blood work, pregnancy test, CT scan, and ultrasound I was told I had ruptured an ovarian cyst which caused the pain I was experiencing. It has now been about a week since it first happened and I am slowly getting better each day by taking pain medications and relaxing. My appetite decreased; there were times when I would be hot one minute and then cold the next. I still have pain in my lower stomach area and my thighs. My doctor stated no surgery was needed at this point; however, the healing is like a bruised wound. I will still be sore and tender as the healing progress. I do drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. I am due for a follow-up ultrasound in another week and I am hoping all goes well. I want a speedy recovery, and I definitely don't want this to happen to me again, it is painful and scary!

Comment from: MM, Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm 55 years old and just last week I was diagnosed that I have dermoid cyst on my left ovary. It is about 7cm in size. I don't have much discomfort. Sometimes I feel very light pain on my left side of abdomen. The only treatment my Dr. says is removal of left ovary. I cannot go for surgery right now as I have planned overseas trip. I'm wondering if there is any alternate treatment for this condition.

Two months ago I went to the doctor complaining of pelvic pain. He found I had "normal" cyst on both ovaries. A few weeks later I started feeling sick with stomach pain, lower back pain and pelvic pain. A day and half later I was in severe pain and vomiting. I went to the ER where I did mention the cyst but also that I had experienced this similar problem about a year before and the ER doctor at the time diagnosed me with pancreatitis. They ran blood work an everything looked normal so they sent me home with pain pills. I followed up with my gyno doc a couple of weeks later so he could check on the cyst and although they were gone or almost completely gone he now noticed something else, something about "calcium" and he thought it could be a dermoid cyst or maybe cancer. He sent me for the CA-125 blood work and MRI, both looked normal. It's now been a couple more weeks and I am seeing him tomorrow for yet another ultrasound. I am still experiencing constant pelvic pain (not severe), random nausea and occasional lower back and leg aches. I take the pill regularly, daily on at the same time each day. My period 3 months ago was abnormally heavy and lasted one day then 2 mos ago it was very, very light and last about a day. I had some light spotting last month and another very light "period" about a week or so ago that only lasted about a day and a half. This is not normal for me. Since the blood work and MRI came back normal I now have no idea what else the problem could be, or if I should even be concerned.

Comment from: justme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst last week. I have really strong pains in my lower side and lower stomach. I am very nauseated and have a slight fever. It feels a little like a kidney stone pain.

Comment from: kara1120, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have always had irregular periods, at one point I went 1 1/2 years without a period, but my family doctor didn't seem concerned (I was 21). At the age of 24 I was at work and couldn't stand for more than a minute without passing out, but I didn't have any pain. I went to the ER and found I had a ruptured cyst. Since then I have had several more, and each has had different symptoms. I was an egg donor for an infertile couple at the age of 28. The doctor had noticed cysts on my ovaries prior to the egg retrieval, but thought they were regular fluid filled cysts until the day of the egg harvest. He discovered I had "Chocolate Cysts", or endometriomas, which are a type of endometriosis that attach to the ovaries and cause cysts that are filled with uterine tissue and thick blood. Now at 30, I haven't had a period in 3 months, definitely not pregnant and just started having excruciating pain in my abdomen. I think I might head into the ER.

Comment from: CJMO, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I have been battling cysts now for 6 weeks. I knew I had them again when, 2 years ago, I had two of them burst. The pelvic pain was nothing compared to the leg cramps I felt, but only on my right side which is where the cysts were. Now I have the same pain. My husband fixes me a wet towel wrapped in a plastic bag, heats it in the microwave, and then adds a towel around it for a heating pad, it really helps. My bowels quit working and I am very gassy with no relief. I went to the doctor, but of course they look at you like you're nuts.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

One morning I was getting dresses when I had a sudden onset of extreme pain across my entire lower abdomen. I went to the ER where they did an ultrasound and found a 10x5 cm mass and blood from a ruptured cyst. I was admitted overnight and released the next morning with pain killers and another ultrasound appointment in a month. The day after the second ultrasound (which showed 2 more cysts on my left ovary) I had the same pain. I went back to the ER with both ultrasound pictures and was told by the GYN on duty that I would possibly need surgery to remove the ovary. The next morning though the pain had lessened and a different GYN told me to go home and get another ultrasound in a month. I went to a specialist the next week and he performed laparoscopic surgery to remove the cysts and I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I was on the pill for 6 months to try and stop ovulation but I kept getting break through bleeding so a couple of months ago I was put on Primolut-N and haven't had any bleeding or pain since.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: October 01

A few years ago I had an ovarian cyst removed through keyhole surgery. It was very painful and took a while to recover. Recently I had lower abdominal pain but refused to go to the doctor because I knew what was in store for me. The pain of the previous operation put me off. My husband made me go to the doctor who felt a mass in my lower right pelvic area. He booked me in for an ultrasound for a few days time, but that night the cyst burst. This cyst was not like my other one. My husband rang an ambulance. I was grey and very hot. On the way to hospital the ambulance pulled over on the side of the road, getting ready to start my heart. My blood pressure was 26 over 15. This cyst was different to my first one. It was blood and pus, my first one was a solid mass. It pays to go to the doctor at the first sign of pain and get it checked out. I am fine now. The ultra sound showed a mass of blood and pus in my pelvic area and it poisoned me for a good week. It could have been fatal.

Be fore I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts, I had very bad cramping. I was infertile and I had excess hair growth and I had an irregular period.

Comment from: RJ18092009, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was diagnosed at a young age with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) because of irregular periods. It was confirmed with hormone blood tests. I had been on the pill for a few years and have been off the pill for a while now and taking medications for fertility. I have been directly trying to conceive for 12 months have been tired and feeling like I'm hung over but have not drunk any alcohol. Thought I had a bladder infection and did urine and swab test and all clear then thought it may be kidneys so had a scan and found 2 cysts, 4cm and 6cm. Have follow up scan in six weeks to see if they growing or shrinking they are haemaphoric cyst, which was a huge shock for me. Side pain can be excruciating at times and very mild at other times it is very odd.

Comment from: TLyon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I felt fine, was about to get in the shower. Suddenly I felt a pain unlike any other. It was comparable to a contraction during child birth. I have had two children both via c-section, and my recovery from the c-sections was also comparable to the pain I felt. At the hospital the doctor pushed down on my uterus and it was like someone was trying to rip it out of my body. I was told that the cyst was 3cm large and had not burst like they normally do, but was leaking into my lower abdomin which was why the pain was not stoping. I was also informed that the original pain, that lasted for around 2hrs prior to receiving any medical attention, was due to the streatching of the cyst in my ovary. I am having my follow up ultrasound soon to ensure that the cyst was gone and everything else on my ovary and in my lower abdomen looked clear. This is not something I would like to go through again that's for certain.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed at 25 weeks with a 20cm ovarian cyst - right side. Being an herbalist, I refused surgery and changed my diet that day to a totally alkaline diet (vegan - all raw veggies, fruits, nuts and berries with a protein shake/organic vitamins - no processed/prepared animal/vegan foods). And now at 34 weeks, the once complex cyst is now a simple cyst and is currently measured at 9cm and the 'tail' is part of an inflamed intestinal tract, not related to the cyst, that seems to be reducing itself as the cyst becomes smaller. The cyst has been expressing itself over time and I feel the burn from time to time, but am feeling fine overall. I'd had one in 2005 which was 10cm that burst and I survived it with NO surgeries either. But my doctor has NEVER seen a cyst of this size reduce itself and he's still pushing a c-section and ovariectomy. He's even called it different types of cysts, not really knowing what he's looking at - such a letdown. With this sort of progress, I told him there is no way I'll do any surgery till the baby is born, especially since he can't properly diagnose it, and even then I wouldn't do the surgery. I can use herbals that are non-pregnancy friendly once baby is out and safe and stick to a vegan diet (no animal proteins of any kind, no beans or wheats - they are all acid foods). My cell biologist brother in law has done research in cancers and leukemia. It has been his observations in lab settings that cancers, tumors and cysts cannot live in an alkaline environment. So ladies, change your diet and drink your electrolytes and don't forget to exercise/walk. Oh, and this sort of diet surely will keep you all from becoming big fat cows during pregnancy and be healthy for baby. I've only gained 28lbs and am mobile, active and feel good now and all baby vitals are excellent! Hope this helps anyone in some small way.

Comment from: Pebblesdn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I went to the hospital with mild fever and pain in pelvic region. Tests came back as a bladder infection. After 10 days of antibiotics, the bladder infection had not gone away. I went back to the hospital again and this time they found a 7 cm cyst on left ovary. I had the Da Vinci surgery and had my ovaries removed.

Comment from: lnorris, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am 19 years old. A couple months ago, I had really heavy bleeding with clots for two weeks straight with bad cramps. I went to the doctor and got an ultrasound. They told me that it was a cyst on my left ovary. They gave me medication that is supposed to reduce the pain. Last time I had my period was the end of August. I haven't gotten my period in two months and sometimes I get sharp pains in my left pelvic area that would sometimes travel to my left and right sides. When I did get the sharp pains, I would have to stand still for 10 seconds until it went away. I sometimes get nauseated, but I'm not sexually active so I know I'm not pregnant. I have a doctor's appointment next week to figure out what could be wrong with me.

Comment from: caliegrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have a small cyst on my left ovary. I have not had a periods in four years. I have a past history of endometriosis. I thought once the period stops you don't get any more pain. I am 56 years old.

Comment from: alex, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was told about two years ago that I have ovarian cysts. I was taken to the hospital one night and was told. I was also told that because of how serious it is, I have a very real possibility of not being able to have children. Last year the pains were getting so bad I missed more than half the school year.

Comment from: Cara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

About four months ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst on my right ovary after several visits to the hospital. My period is super irregular. I got my period the first day of school and that was the only time I had it all year, except for a couple weeks ago (which probably wouldn't even count as a period because it lasted one day). The pain is so unbearable lately and it interferes with my life. I have read and researched about everything there is to know about these. My cyst as of my last appointment was four centimeters. I'm going to a gyno tomorrow. I'm hoping that I don't have to get another pelvic done. They hurt worse than the cyst.

Comment from: Angst18, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had what I thought was really bad cramps. Within an hour of the onset of the cramping, I was not only in serious abdominal pain, but sweating profusely and shaking. Thinking I was sick, my girlfriend (a nurse, ironically), put me to bed. I knew something was really wrong when I spent the next five hours trying not to breathe too deeply, because if I did, my entire abdominal wall would spasm. Finally, I went to the ER. It turns out that I had an ovarian cyst that had ruptured in such a way that I had severe internal bleeding. By the time I went into surgery I had bled out over one-third of my blood into the upper part of my stomach. It totally sucked, but I was up and working again in just a few days.

Comment from: LizF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

It all started three years ago almost three years ago. I went into the emergency department for a pain on my left side. Back then the doctor on call wanted an X-ray. He said there was a small sac on my ovary. Now he said to make appointment with my family doc. My family doctor passed it off as a kidney stone, so I went home relieved. About a week ago, I felt something pop on my left side. I went to the hospital again and the doctor said that it sounds like a popped cyst. He suggested that we keep an eye on it. That was it. Yesterday found out that it is a cyst. Now I'm waiting on result to see if it's cancer.

Comment from: ginniepig 123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have ovarian cysts. I had two attacks that were terribly painful. Then I had one that felt like I was dying. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom suddenly I was sweating profusely literally drenched my clothes were stuck to me. I was nauseated and vomiting. I felt I was going to pass out when my son found me he went and got my husband. I suffered through it. Later that day I went to my primary doctor. He then sent me to my gynecologist I had an ultra sound and they discovered it was a twisted cyst.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 06

I'm 45 years old. At 18, I was told I had endometriosis. I was always getting infections and having pains during intercourse. I had lots of laparoscopic procedures to burn the endometriosis. At 20 my doctor told me to have kids right away if I wanted any.

Comment from: ddenise21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have been seeing my doctor every six months to monitor my ovarian cysts. I was prescribed birth control to retard the rate cysts were growing. I didn't have any symptoms at first but as of lately I have been having pelvic pain that feels like it is literally in my bone.

Comment from: Lourdes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I went for a follow-up ultrasound for ovarian cysts with my gyno as I was diagnosed in the ER. I was advised one had ruptured. I was in pain. At the follow-up, the ultrasound tech advised that the cyst is no longer there. I was told that it disappered. I wonder how accurate this is.

Comment from: sacs, Published: May 28

I am experiencing a few of these issues that are posted here.

Comment from: Pj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had an ectopic pregnancy then a normal pregnancy, a miscarriage then two more pregnancies. My youngest is now eight years old. About eight weeks ago I had severe pain and doubled over. It was worse than a last contraction. This happened again five weeks ago and ended up in the hospital. My doctors were thinking I had either appendicitis or a UTI. Two days ago I got sent home from work as I didn't feel well. I got my husband to take me to the hospital again in severe pain. They did an ultra sound and found three cysts on one ovary. I have an appointment with my gynecologist soon.

Comment from: Rimmy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was constipated one evening, which was causing pressure on the left side of my abdomen and great pain that wouldn't go away. At that time no nausea, but I'd had it for several days prior. The pain let up, but still hurt. It was determined to be a cyst. Also during this time, I was extremely dehydrated, breaking out in rashes and very itchy skin. I have no idea if it's related, but that continues as well. I've never had anything like it.

Comment from: Indiana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had my first surgery to remove a cyst from the inside of my ovary about 6 years ago. I was actually very, very sick for about 8 months before the doctors figured out what was wrong. My ovary was about 11cc (average is 7) and the cyst was leaking into my body causing all of my abdomen to be infected with no response from antibiotics (for 8 months I looked like I was dying and felt that way too). Once I had the cyst removed from the inside of my ovary I felt 100% better. Then 2 years ago I was having sharp pains on the other side of my body. I got a UTI which the only other time I have gotten one of those I had the first cyst. I immediately scheduled an appointment. This time my ovary was 23 1/2 cc. This was causing so much pain it actually hurt to breathe. I had surgery to have it removed. I begged my surgeon to remove the ovary but she was able to save it. I just wanted one less ovary to worry about. Now I am having severe pain in both of my ovaries. Besides regular pain (which is normal at this point) I got a UTI. This now seems to be my body's sign of a problem. I have an appointment next week but I am not ready to go through this again. I have not found any information on cysts inside of ovaries. I have symptoms of very heavy, painful periods, but they only last 3 days. I have pain when I am ovulating and I have severe pain when other cysts burst (sweating buckets, vomiting, shaking on the bathroom floor in a fetal position). I have seen many doctors about this but they make me sound like a hypochondriac.

Comment from: concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I am 54 yrs old. I recently had pelvic reconstructive surgery instead of a hysterectomy. I went through recovery and started back to work. I did fine until the 3rd night back I started having lower back and abdominal pain like I had before the surgery. I went to my doctor who has now ordered ultrasounds and MRI's. It's been 3 days and the pain has lightened up but not gone away. I have no history of ovarian cancer in my family though I do have history of other cancers. Waiting to have tests at this point.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

At 17 years old I woke in the middle of the night in sudden horrible pain. After three hours of trying everything to calm it down my parents took me to the emergency room thinking of a ruptured appendix. Every bump in the road hurt! After being examined with a sonogram I was told I had ovarian cysts. I was kept for observation and sent home later. At 18 I had another one. Being in college without health coverage I suffered in the dorm by myself. At 19 I went on birth control. Using control to regulate my always irregular periods I had no more cysts. At 21 I had my son and early on had a small cyst that eventually disappeared. At 24 I had my daughter without any problems. Now at 26 I just had another baby girl 8 weeks ago. I had my first period last week (it lasted 8 days) today as I was cleaning. I felt what I thought was discharge but when I went to clean it I found blood. I thought this was maybe caused by the recent birth. Less then 2 minutes later I was hit with severe pain on my left side. The pain was comparable to contractions but only on one side. It was low and stayed in one spot. I knew the pain, I knew the symptoms I had started. (I felt nauseous the day before but thought it was due to stress going on because we are moving) Putting all the information together - menstrual period last week, I just gave birth, nausea and abdominal pain on one side. It is obvious to me that it is yet again another cyst. I am not on birth control right now so more then likely my system is still out of touch from birth and contributed to the cyst. I have taken regular pain reliever, drinking lots of fluids to help hydrate me. I took my folic acid for my reproductive health. I have heated rice packs on my abdomen and the pain is keeping me from standing up or walking well. Occasionally the pain spikes causing worse pain and back pain. Then it will die down to a constant ache. Again the pain is similar to contractions but is continual! The spikes are awful and I seem to involuntarily curl into fetal position! However after experiencing these before the only concern for me is watching for extreme vomiting and fever. Other wise if the pain is still there by next week I will visit the doctor. I don't know how it is related but I do suffer a lot of issues with my reproductive health. I have an excess of yeast that grows throughout my body causing me 5+ infections a year... I had a difficult pregnancy this past round, preterm labor, bedrest. My periods are always irregular, I have PMDD, and my period cramps are also contraction like. (I've gotten used to contraction pain from it's constant presence in my life) Ovarian and Uterine Cancer is common in my maternal side of the family. I'm not a stranger to pain there so I am not easily alarmed however I do wish medical science would be able to help the woman with these issues other then offer a hysterectomy. Well that's all. Symptoms, mystery, pain, treatment. I hope this all aids some other woman who is experiencing cysts.

Comment from: sccarymarie, 19-24 Female Published: October 08

I experienced a slight ache in my side where my overies are. as well as discomfort during sex. The longer i waited to see if it would go away, it got worse. I had a doctor tell me it was in my head and had to visit two other to finally find out i needed an ultrasound. Ask for the ultrasound before anything else.

Comment from: srsisto, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I have had gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea) for several years, then had severe pelvic pain on right side. A pelvic ultrasound showed a small ovarian cyst on right ovary (I am a 72 year-old woman). Two months later another pelvic ultrasound showed growth in the right ovary cyst plus a cyst on left ovary. My doctor says this is not a problem, that they are simple cysts. My maternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer, and my sister is a breast cancer survivor, so the presence of cysts is worrisome for me.

Comment from: Mz.G.Wilson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a sharp pain in my ovary area, irregular bleeding and pain during intercourse, so I went to the hospital and that's what it was…

Comment from: pain no more, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

For three menstrual cycles, I have experienced low abdominal pelvic pain. I started calendaring my episodes and found that there is definite pain and discomfort, including bloating, that commences on the first day of ovulation. It seems that my ovulation has become more uncomfortable than my actual menstrual periods. I have undergone many examinations and have confirmed that I have a cyst on each ovary. One measures 2 cm. I definitely experience pain after a bowel movement or occasionally after urination and have had low grade fever on two occasions. My doctor has prescribed a low dose birth control pill to stop ovulation. I hope this will stop the problems this pain has caused. Only time will tell. Next month, I will follow up with my OB GYN, at which time an ultrasound will be performed in order to see if the cysts have continued to grow.

Comment from: mac, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I went to the doctor and they found a cyst on my ovary. I get them all the time but this one is shaped differently and hard. Future tests to come. I went to the doctor because I was having a lot of symptoms. Pelvic pain, migranes, extreme fatique and hairloss.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had ovarian cysts on both of my ovaries. Back in 2005 I had surgery, but until today I still have the pain on both of my ovaries. Also because of the cysts, I have lots of problems with my period. Some times I can go 10 months without a period. I have tried to get pregnant for the last 5 years, but it has not been possible, still looking for answers, gone to 3 doctors and can't do much aboutit. My symptoms are no periods and pelvic pain, sometimes severe especially if I have intercourse, and facial hair.

Comment from: mrs1657, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My experience started with 2 or 3 small cysts on my right ovary. I had already had my uterus removed due to a fibroid tumor so when the cyst popped up I really didn't want another surgery even though they were painful. My doctor gave me an injection of Depo-Provera to see if they would shrink which did work. Then a few months later I got another cyst 6 cm in size that doubled to 12 cm in less than a week. The doctor stated they would keep coming back so it would be best to have the right ovary removed. I had that done laparoscopically, but the doctor left a very small piece of ovary because it was close to my ureter and she didn't want risk nicking it. At the time I was grateful, but that "one-in-a-million" chance has resulted in another cyst growing off that teeny tiny piece of ovary. So now they want to open me back up to make sure they get the whole thing but I'm not wanting the surgery especially if there's a chance of nicking my ureter.

Comment from: overy cyst, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

My wife is having a cyst and the doctors have planned on a laparoscopy, but when they took her to the theater they have found some other matter wrong with the fallopian tube and they said they removed the cysts as well, but still we are not successful having children and when we contacted another doctor he said that my wife has a cyst. Now he said that this is in her left side and no need to worry about it. My wife complains every time she gets her periods there is a severe pain in her right side of the stomach. The only thing that we are still worrying about is not being able to have children.

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have cysts on the left and right sides of my ovaries. I like to walk outside and often go to the gym, but sometimes when I finish working out or walking, I have pain in my lower stomach.

Comment from: fancyface, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'm 27 and been having multiple cysts in both of my ovaries for 10 years. They come and go and I'm still in a lot of pain. Vicodin is not helping and it's bothersome when I walk. My last doctor told me if I wanted to I can have my right ovary removed but it was my decision. No further testing was done so I'm just so confused as to what other testings i need to do and if surgery is necessary.

• Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cysts?

Post View 34 Comments
  • Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Post View 15 Comments
  • Ovarian Cysts - Experience

Please share your experience with ovarian cysts, for example, the type of cyst, any symptoms, the treatment, and/or any complications.

Post View 1 Comment

REFERENCE: Helm, W., et al. "Ovarian Cysts." Medscape. Updated Feb 12, 2015.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/255865-overview>