Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

Ovarian Cysts: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you have/had ovarian cyst(s)?

Comment from: Disgusted, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Since March 2017 had back pain radiating to groin and leg associated with vomiting. I had several episodes every few weeks. I went to the doctors who thought it could be irritable bowel syndrome! Two months ago I got rushed into hospital with abdominal pain and vomiting. I had CT and ultrasound scan and was told I had a 10 cm mass on my left ovary. I'm 58 and five years post-menopause. I was told it was a tubo-ovarian abscess. I was pumped full of antibiotics for a week and sent home with oral antibiotics having been told they wanted things to settle down and they would see me back in 6 weeks. I read tubo-ovarian abscess is very rare in post-menopausal women. I went for second opinion privately who did MRI scan and was told I had a borderline ovarian tumor. I funded operation privately. I had total hysterectomy and was told post operation the cyst had twisted and I had a black necrotic ovary! If I had been left to mid-November for follow up at NHS hospital I would have been extremely unwell with peritonitis. I was told I should have had emergency surgery when originally I went to the NHS hospital. How bad is that!

Comment from: HeidiJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am almost 2 years out from total hysterectomy leaving in both ovaries. Back several months I started having painful intercourse (similar to endometriosis pain before surgery). I ignored it. Until the pain got so intense I couldn't stand it and it never stopped. Pain radiated in my back, down my thighs, I felt bloated, gassy and constipated, had frequent urination, and was exhausted all the time. After my pelvic exam I had an ultrasound which shows 2 small cysts and only right ovary is visible. I'm waiting for my doctor to consult with a specialist now and tell me what's next. I have family history of uterine, ovarian and kidney cancers, all in young maternal aunts.

Comment from: cachuda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am in my mid 40s and for months I knew something was off down there but couldn't pinpoint it. Perhaps it is just peri-menopause. Something started to feel out of place with pelvic/vaginal pressure. As time went by, I developed some weird off and on all over leg pains and heat sensations in legs, and had unexplained back ache for a while. Then later felt like a water balloon was in my pelvis and had cramping especially after repeatedly bending over. I thought it was prolapse but pelvic exam did not confirm this. I was a runner for years and now have too many pains all over hips, legs, and low back to run at all anymore; and muscles pulling all over in weird ways in lower body. I suppose this could have something to do with hormonal imbalances or arthritis as coincident to ovarian cyst(s).

Comment from: jacqueline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I have been having extreme pelvic pain since I was 17. I could always tell when I ovulated. I was sent to specialists and gynecologists all my life. I would curl up in a ball for days from pain. I would have ultrasounds. They would say it was just an ovarian cyst. Today at 52 I still feel like I am giving birth. It hurts awfully. I feel like my cervix is being ripped in half. It hurts to urinate, hurts to have bowel movement, sex is out of the question. I have severe pain in my back, down my thighs, fevers and bone chilling tremors. I can't wait for the wonderful experience of menopause, which hopefully doesn't last 35 years.

Comment from: DawnB, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm 31 and about 7 or 8 weeks ago I started having back pain. Then it moved into my front lower pelvic area and then once again moved this time into my right hip so bad I couldn't lift my leg without horrible pain and had trouble sleeping. Then the pain started to spread into my leg. Very tight and crampy! In addition to the pain I had major bloating, the appearance of 6 or 7 months pregnancy, fatigue, hot flashes, and random headaches. After putting up with this for 5 weeks I finally caved in and went to urgent care. She did a full pelvic exam, Pap and urine test (negative). She could feel that something was going on with my right ovary. So she sent me for an ultra sound. The ultra sound showed something on my right ovary, two different technicians thought it was a 6 week old fetus! But I had a negative pregnancy test last week. Thirty minutes after my appointment my obstetrician/gynecologist called me and told me to rush to the emergency room right away for emergency surgery! After 7 hours in the waiting room they call me back and tell me the blood pregnancy test was also negative. So it must just me a hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst. No surgery go home and call your obstetrician/gynecologist first thing in the morning for a follow up. She doesn't want to see me for 2 weeks! Eight weeks later I'm still exhausted and my leg (buttocks and hip) cramps are debilitating at times. And my hormones are out of control (I cried for 10 hours after the nurse made me feel crazy for trying to get an earlier appointment)! I have a hard time buying their diagnosis. But I haven't even got to talk to anyone about why or what this is and when or how I will feel better. Everyone said to talk to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she is seriously making me wait two weeks! So I had to self-diagnose by googling!

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Hormonal Methods of Birth Control
Birth Control Hormonal Methods

Hormonal types and of options for ...learn more >>

Birth Control Types (Effectiveness and Side Effects)
Birth Control Overview Many different types of birth control are available. They include:
  • hormonal methods,
  • barrier methods, and
  • behavioral methods.
  • ...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Experience

Please share your experience with ovarian cysts, for example, the type of cyst, any symptoms, the treatment, and/or any complications.