Ovarian Cysts

What was the treatment for your ovarian cysts? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Techgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I went to the (emergency room) ER for the first time ever this past Saturday with pain that I thought was a kidney stone. After test, it showed I had a cyst on my right ovary. On Monday, I still had lots of pain and my gynecologist sent me back to the ER for re-evaluation. This time a leaking cyst on my right ovary. White blood count was up and running fever off and on. I was sent home with pain medicines and told it would resolve itself. I have to work and I was in the bed for 4 days. Finally I went back to work where I stood on my feet for 9 hours and when I got home I was miserable plus my fever had shot back up. Can't they surgically remove a cyst! I don't get paid if I don't work!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm 58 and 4 months ago I had open surgery to remove a 15 cm cyst and my ovary and tube. It was a piece of cake for the surgery. I don't want to scare anyone but the healing was hard for a week. I was only in the hospital overnight because the doctor said I did excellent. They did some type of shot to numb my insides for pain. I felt great in the hospital walking up and down the hall with my IV machine. Once I got home the pain was awful. I couldn't get on and off the bed with the pain but each day it passed. Less than a week later I was cooking dinner. If you have to have the surgery just do it, you will feel so much better. A few days of pain with well worth getting rid of the awful cyst.

Comment from: cystfree, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

I had my first surgery when I was 20. A laparoscopy was performed to remove 14 cysts around both ovaries. Two months later another 10 came back. So I tried birth control pills, which made me gain more weight and imbalance my periods. For six years, I spent a lot of money on doctor's visits, surgeries, medication, etc. Until a friend recommended alternative medicine. So I started taking Cat's Claw 500 mg. It is amazing! After I finished the first bottle, they disappeared completely. Now, I have three children and no complaints since my first pregnancy. Although, I still have my yearly checkups done to keep me updated.

Comment from: diana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I did Laparotomy almost two years ago because I had very large cysts on both ovaries, they looked like a bee hive cut open, during the surgery I was 11 weeks pregnant. So later the same year I had to do c-section to have my baby. 2 years later I'm pregnant.

Comment from: maribel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had big problem with my ovarian cysts in both my left and right ovaries. I am afraid to go for surgery because I have no money to pay my surgery of my ovarian cysts, and other one is my myoma 1.5 cm.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I found out I have cysts on my left ovary. I have been feeling flu like symptoms diarrhea and tiredness. My left side hurts at times to where I can't sleep on it. I am diabetic, have hypothyroidism and blood pressure, and I take medications for all that. I also have a lot of anxieties and take medication for that and acid reflux. I heard that estrogen and progesterone can help cysts on the ovaries but with my diabetes, blood pressure, and hypothyroidism they tell people not to take HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and I am in menopause. I just want the pain to go away.

Comment from: lois, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am 25 years old and three years ago I had my appendix removed. Since then I've suffered from sharp pain on my lower right side. I have recently had an internal scan that showed i have a cyst on my right ovary. I am not sure on the size of the cyst as I'm not due to get it removed until four weeks' time.

Comment from: ShellsH, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 11

I'm 28 years old and have had problems with ovarian cyst since I was 12. I had my first major surgery when I was 12 and had a softball size cyst on my right ovary. The right ovary and cyst had to be removed. When I was 20 I had a cyst removed from my left ovary. When I was 24 I had another cyst removed on my left ovary. With all my surgeries I had to be cut open. Just two weeks ago I had another cyst on my left ovary bad had it removed laparoscopically. They had to remove my ovary also. So now I am 28 with no ovaries and will be going through menopause.

Comment from: ailyn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have ovarian cysts and I'm always in pain during my periods.

Comment from: Marly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I wound up in the hospital a few weeks ago. At first thought i had appendicitis, but after a CT scan I found I had a cyst. I've been in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Mrs K Das, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I have been diagnosed ovarian cancer and advised by surgeons to undergo a total hysterectomy. I am planning for the surgery.

Comment from: helpme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been in pain for over a year the pain has gotten so bad lately that I can't even move any position it hurts. I went to gynecologist they did a biopsy, Pap smear, pelvic ultrasound supposedly everything was fine. Went to my and got a CT scan and found 2.4 cm cyst on my left ovary. I have to wear light day pads every day. I am in constant pain. There is not a day that goes by that I feel good. I have to live on pain meds. I don't feel like exercising or anything. I guess they are going to put me on some pain meds and see what happens. I am sick of living like this. This is not the first time I have gotten cysts.

Comment from: butterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I was just diagnosed with a very large grapefruit-sized cyst on my right ovary. I had a hysterectomy in 2003 due to severe endometriosis that resulted in hemorrhaging and emergency visits. The doctor left my ovaries intact. Everything was fine until about 6 months ago when I started to have low back pain, a feeling of cramping, bladder pressure, and frequent and urgent need to urinate. A pelvic ultrasound identified the cyst. I am now waiting for a CT and an appointment with a gynecologist. I want my ovaries removed and the pain and pressure to stop!

Comment from: joanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I went to the ER where I was told that I have ovarian cysts that ruptured. They gave me pain medications and sent me on my way. I can't believe they didn't keep me.

Comment from: Eastwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have required no treatment. I am 64 and postmenopausal. The cyst was detected during a routine ultrasound.

Comment from: walk4429, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been suffering from cyst since I was probably about 15 years old. At first my parents and I just thought they were really bad menstrual cramps until one day I missed school because I couldn't get out of the fetal position because the pain was so bad. We went to the ER and they ran multiple tests to determine if I had ovarian cysts. All they did was rehydrate me and give me Vicodin for the pain and sent me home. It ended up going away on its own as with all the others.

Comment from: Gina, Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I just had my right ovary removed, and a D&C. The only symptom that has disappeared since the surgery is the chronic lower back pain that I have had for five years.

Comment from: SALLY ANN, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I am 64 and I just had an MRI scan of my pelvis and I was told that I have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I am booked to see a gynecologist. I am worried, though because I had the same kind of cyst back in 1978 and it became gangrenous. I was rushed to the hospital for an emergency operation. I was told these cysts are rare. Apparently not for me.

Comment from: ovaryqueen, 35-44 Female Published: October 04

I have been suffering from ovarian cysts since a teenager with my first major surgery at age 21. I do NOT have polycystic ovaries. I have learned to do a lot of 'watching and waiting' as doctors (at one point or another) will push for surgery. You go to a surgeon for an opinion, he/she is going to want to do surgery just as if you go to an acupuncturist, they will want to do acupuncture, etc. I have ALL types of cysts and all types rupture on me. I had one cyst that three doctors swore was a malignancy (dual chambered with a blood supply 10+ cm). I chose to watch and wait. Within 6 months it was completely gone. I still have both of my ovaries but do have a lot of scar tissue and some endometriosis from all of the ruptured cysts. Birth control pills or Depo shots are decent at keeping the cysts away. I had an IUD for several years that seemed to make my cysts worse. I'm 41 now and VERY thankful I chose a more conservative approach to these cysts. I do not think I would still have both of my ovaries had I chosen additional surgical intervention for the cysts. Our ovaries are very important to our cardiovascular and bone health (in addition to other areas of benefit).

Comment from: Elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

I was found to have an ovarian cyst on my right ovary many years ago. The doctor treated it for a month with birth control pills hoping it would shrink. It didn't, so I was to have a laparoscopy and remove it. When I came out of surgery, I was cut vertically from my belly button to my pelvis. The doctor said the ovary was far back and hard to reach, and that is why she had to cut me in that way. I had seen the pictures of the cyst, and it was ugly and rather large. But, 'til this day, I still wonder why I couldn't be cut horizontally where my scar wouldn't be seen. It really messed my stomach up and it depresses me. I use to have a flat stomach, now it's always bloated and I have no muscle tone. Of course, I am older now, but I don't think I would've looked this bad. I always look like I'm pregnant! Also, because I was still young, she left part of my ovary intact--the one with the cyst removed which is okay with me.

Comment from: deedles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

The first time it happened I was 20 years old, it happened after having sex. I went to the ER, doctors could not figure out why I was in horrible pain. They gave me some painkillers and sent me home. I continued to suffer through it at home, with little help from doctors, believing I would eventually die from the unbearable pain and dehydration. I could keep nothing down, and felt so weak. Finally after a few days, I noticed bleeding, and the pain subsided. Later the OB/GYN confirmed it was a ruptured cyst. The second time I was 23, after having sex again. I recognized the pain this time and went straight to ER, firmly insisting to them it was an ovarian cyst. The doctors were a lot more helpful this time. They did a CT scan and found a huge cyst. They successfully surgically removed both along with my right ovary altogether, because the cyst had strangled and killed my ovary. A year later I had a very successful pregnancy with no problems. All you need is one ovary to get pregnant anyway, but I am concerned that I may have severe hormonal imbalances now.

Comment from: D1979, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had severe abdominal pain with stabbing pains in my stomach during my periods since the age of 16. Also with it diarrhea and vomiting that was so severe I couldn't keep fluids down. I also had frequent polyps in my uterus and kidney which had to be removed. My doctor said they could do nothing for me except send me to the ER to get hydrated. I got several diagnoses including endometriosis and chronic cystitis. They called the cysts brown cysts. I've had two removed and one tied around my. I was told I would've died if I waited another day. I tried many birth control pills until I found one that is right for me. I have been taking it regularly for 3 years and my symptoms have stopped completely.

Comment from: Nicole, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Every menstrual period, I get ovarian cysts. My mom thinks I'm having sex and that's how I'm getting them and I know that's not true. The pain is unbearable and I miss school. My doctor prescribed birth control to help treat it. The cysts went away, as well as my period. I still had all symptoms of my period, I just didn't bleed. So she took me off my birth control. I am lying in bed right now as I type this with a cyst that has just ruptured.

Comment from: June6Bug24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I've had cervical cancer, on the inside of my uterus...not the outside of the cervix. I have a partial hysterectomy done and 5 years later was diagnosed with stage 4 pre cancer in my vagina. The doctor had me do a cycle of chemo cream and it was HORRIBLE and painful, but worked. I have had my pre-cancer show up three times in my vagina but not at that level and it has disappeared on its own. It's scary since the vaginal wall is so thin and the cancer, undetected, could spread to the bladder, colon, and pelvic cavity! I don't want a piece of my intestine for a vagina! I've lost uterine organisms...I don't want to lose feeling in my vagina! Now pain in my right side has led a new general practice doctor to do a pelvic ultrasound and they saw cysts on my ovaries so they continue the exam with a vaginal ultrasound. It was not painful, other than the turning of the wand to "get the pictures" the tech was after. She was very nice and did not say a word but I know an abnormal ultra sound at this point, when I have one. The family Dr. said two days later that I have multiple cysts on both ovaries and a very large on my right ovary but they look normal - per the radiologist's comments on the file. So, no other steps would be taken at this time. I'm a little confused. Why would they not want to do a little more to be sure there is no concern? I don't want trouble but don't want to hear in a year or more that someone is sorry, and I'm beyond help.

Comment from: DesperateMomof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been suffering from ovarian cysts for about 6 years. I'm 28. I had twins 4 years ago, and since their birth, my pain has had a huge increase. I'm not one to cry, or admit that I'm hurting. These cysts keep rupturing and I can't even crawl myself to the bed. I scream in pain. I've gone, a handful of times to the ER, only to lie on a stretcher for at least 6 hours (with an IV painkiller, if I'm lucky.) After I'm finally admitted, they ask me if I'm pregnant. I tell them "no." They do a pregnancy test. I'm not pregnant... So then they take another two hours to schedule an internal ultrasound. They find small traces of fluid that could be from a ruptured cyst. They give me a handful of painkillers, and send me on my way. I'm at the end of the rope. As of now, this condition leaves me debilitated for a good five days out of every month. I'm a single mom, and a strong woman who has to be in severe pain to not get out of bed with twin four-year-olds...

Comment from: kitten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am going in for a second surgery on my ovaries from having cysts. A year ago they took a couple big ones off my right ovary. Mind you I had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago, I signed for a total hysterectomy and woke up with still 2 ovaries . Since the surgery last year I have been in the same drop- you-to-the-floor pain, now I go in next month to have them both ovaries removed finally. I'm still not liking the idea of doctors taking parts out of me, but if it finally works like it should, maybe I'll enjoy life a lot more without the pain. Sex is unbearable... I'm only 48! Thank you for all your great information!

Comment from: Nafe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts although it apparently had been present for a while without my notice; I had the odd lower pelvic pain/leg cramp once in a while which I attributed to fatigue and ulcer pains. The first doctor told me straight up he was going to remove it with surgery but I went for a second opinion after talking to a few friends and the second doctor just put me on Primolut N today. Hopefully this will shrink it to the minimum. He says that surgery is no guarantee that it won't reoccur, so why should I do surgery now? I rather like the option of trying to cut the cysts down to size with medication in the first instance before surgery, if at all.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Thus far, I have only had a diagnosis of a benign ovarian cyst after an ultrasound. I'm not confident that a picture can tell a doc if it is cancerous or not. My symptoms such as nausea and vomiting are continuing. No pain thankfully. I might go for a second opinion.

Comment from: BeeBee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I am going on 43 years old. I have my uterus removed due to fibroid tumors and some ovarian cysts. I was on the fence about removing my ovaries and the doctor informed me that no cysts were on my ovaries the day of the operation. Nine months after the hysterectomy, I had pain and CT scans and ultra sounds, rushed to ER, ovarian cysts. For the past four years, I have suffered from this pain. The hard part is not knowing when they will erupt, often while I am driving long distance to work. I am now contemplating removing my cysts because I am very active and the pain is so severe; it is cramping my lifestyle. If I am not able to exercise, sit forward, wear high heels and enjoy making love to my husband, and then I am not living. I already have two teen sons and I want to enjoy my life with them and not be in pain.

Comment from: Lena, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

Well I am 28 and I have cysts on my ovaries. My ob told me to take birth control for it but it's not helping me and I don't go to the ER anymore because all they tell me that they would do for me is give me pain meds and send me home so I called my ob and told her that I am still having pain from it and I am going in on the 14th of this month to see what she tells me so pray for me.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I just visited my gynecologist yesterday who informed me that I have a 8 1/2 cm cyst in the right ovary and others on the left. She will be removing the cysts and ovaries hopefully via a laparoscopy procedure.

Comment from: sternbware, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had an ovarian cyst in 2007, and was treated with a Lupron shot at the time. I am currently diagnosed with cysts again. I don't know what treatment options will be offered to me this time, but I don't want to do the Lupron treatment again. It stopped my cycle for over a year (rather than the 3 months I was originally told) and it gave me very bad mood swings.

Comment from: worried, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My daughter has been told she has cysts on her ovaries which are rupturing. She gets severe pains in her abdomen and ribs, lower back and legs. She gets severe headaches and vomits with this also. She is only 14 and she is in so much pain, her periods started this year and are normal. She has had an ultrasound which showed the cysts. We do not go to the ER anymore because no one helps her there.

Comment from: J9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had recurring cysts on my ovaries for at least two years now. Even when I was on birth control I still got them. I have endometriosis as well. I had my left ovary removed in December 2010 now they are on my right. I'm thinking the only way to not get them is to have both ovaries removed. I am only 32 so that will not happen. I already lost my uterus which I regret doing now especially since I'm still in pain and bloated :( There is no cure for them, I want to know why so many women get them, but they cannot do anything about them! I want to try Chinese medicine. I feel it's my only hope!

• Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you have/had ovarian cyst(s)?

Post View 52 Comments
  • Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Post View 15 Comments
  • Ovarian Cysts - Experience

Please share your experience with ovarian cysts, for example, the type of cyst, any symptoms, the treatment, and/or any complications.

Post View 1 Comment

REFERENCE: Helm, W., et al. "Ovarian Cysts." Medscape. Updated Feb 12, 2015.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/255865-overview>