Ovarian Cysts

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dianna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Midol extra strength and ginger Gravol, that's what I take for the pain and nausea, and it works (most of the time). Showering or bathing can help as well (although that may be unique to me). My pain started when I was about 18, and I am 25 now, still undiagnosed and in so much pain most of the time that I cannot work, or go out really at all. The pain is so sudden and so excruciating that I can barely get out of bed some days. I haven't been diagnosed yet, it's been almost three years of talking to my doctor and getting exams, they have found ovarian cysts but she claims it's all in my head. Now anyone who has felt this pain can tell you it is not in your head. I hope they find a cure/solution for all of us women who suffer from this debilitating condition.

Comment from: Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a few cysts, actually three in a row. I would have had an appendectomy if I hadn't insisted to verify for the cyst. Imagine! I ended up with ovarian torsion, which required immediate emergency surgery.

Comment from: AH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am 43 and had my right ovary removed nine years ago after the second rupture of a cyst next to my artery. The first time I almost bled to death and the second time my doctor removed the ovary. The doctor said I shouldn't have further problems. Now I get cysts on the left ovary every month and taking birth control does not help. This has been going on for years and I'm really tired of the pain running my life. My current doctor doesn't seem to have any answers.

Comment from: shweta, 35-44 (Caregiver) Published: May 31

I had a sudden loss of weight. I lost about eight kgs in two months was cause of development of ovarian cysts in my case!

Comment from: Chibuzor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Hello, my ovarian cyst started right from when I was 17 years old. Now that I am 28 years old, I still fele pain below my abdomen. The pain increased recently and it left me with no choice than to go for a scan. The first scan said it was hemorrhagic cyst and the doctor suggested a surgery. I wasn't convinced so I went for another scan and it said I have a cyst. It got me so scared that I went to see my doctor after, showing him the results.

Comment from: Hopeful, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had an ovarian cyst since I was 17 and I am now 25. I had pain in my left side where my ovary is & I also was having very painful menstrual cramps. I went to my gyno and she sent me out for ultrasounds (invasive and non-invasive), blood tests, manual exams. She said it was being caused because I wasn't producing enough hormones that help with the menstrual cycle. The cyst was large, however, was a fluid-filled cyst that only flared up right before my cycle. She placed me on birth control which helped control it, however, I asked what my options were if I wanted to go off the pill. She said surgery wouldn't be the first option because I am petite and that could cause scar tissue which leads to infertility. I did not have any birth control side effects until recently (after being on the same birth control for years) which have been severe migraines. I went back to my gyno who switched birth controls and it's helped, however, I think about what I will do when I want to get pregnant. My gyno told me most cysts resolve on their own and only last several months. My cyst has lasted years, however, I am told only to really worry if the cyst is solid. Make sure you ask your gyno what options you have and go from there & do not avoid getting the ultrasounds.

Comment from: tm1242, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I developed cysts on my left ovary after my robotic hysterectomy. It was only 10 weeks after my surgery. My doctor told me they looked fined during my surgery, so I was a little confused that they started to give me problems so soon after.

Comment from: nadra71, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My daughter is 19 years old, and was diagnosed with ovarian cysts two years ago, after multiple trips to the ER and her doctor. She has a history of irregular periods, and the BC pills that she was prescribed helped her at first. Unfortunately, the hormones in the pills triggered a condition called pseudo tumor cerebri (excess fluid on her brain that acted much like a tumor would), which in turn caused something called papillodema (swelling of her optic nerve caused by the pressure of the pseudotumor). Here is the problem: besides getting the swelling down, she can no longer take BC pills, or any kind of birth control. The hormones are what exacerbate her issues, and if she continued to use them, she would go blind. Unfortunately her cysts are back with a vengeance, and we are at a loss as to what to do. In addition, the pain does not respond to OTC pain relief medications.

Comment from: solymar4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm 34. I went to the hospital because I was having a lot of pain in my lower belly. The doctors there told me that I have ovarian cysts that burst. I'm so scared.

Comment from: lynda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had my two ovaries, womb, and cervix removed due to malignancy.

Comment from: M, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I recently visited ER because i had lower abdominal pain n had blood work n CT scan done. Ovarian cysts are what they saw. Now this is my second time going in for this problem. I am 23 years old and it has happened when i was 17 i believe. The first time they put me on an IV for 24 hours and the pain went away. The next day, I had followed up with an OB/GYN who put me on birth control and the cysts disappeared. But I just stopped the pills and the cysts came back! So i recommend being n staying on the pill. Especially if you are irregular because the pills make sure u get a period each month!! I am going to see the same OB/GYN for a second time! If you go to the ER, they will only send you home with pain medications and they won't get to the root of what the real problem is. I suggest, girls, that if you have these problems, go to a doctor who can do tests and see what's really going on. You don't have to suffer, but if you're having problems, you should be seen right away.

Comment from: Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I recently had a cyst on my right ovary that naturally resolved itself within six weeks. Ladies, get all your hormones checked including your estrogen, testosterone, estradiol and progesterone. Do not miss your scheduled wellness exams!

Comment from: linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I went for an ultrasound scan and the results came back to my doctors a week later so I made an appointment and she told me that I had a 4.6cm cyst on my left ovary so she has made an urgent appointment with a gynecologist as she is worried about the cyst I have.

Comment from: Crystal, 25-34 Female Published: July 18

Two months after my miscarriage, I was diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS. My doctor gave me medication that will help me ovulate, but three months later, I started having abdominal pain again. My doctor found that I have three cysts on my ovaries. The doctor said that I need to let it heal on its own without a surgery again, because it is only functional/simple cysts nothing to be worried about. But is still leaves me in pain, fever is high and I am unhappy, because I would like this to stop and get pregnant again.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was in ER a few days ago with Lowe pelvis pain and severe back pain on the left side. After an ultrasound turns out I have a cyst on my left ovary measuring 8.5cm by 7.5 by 5cm, so the size of a small grapefruit. They won't do anything until I've had 2 menstrual cycles to see if it goes away. But in the meantime what do I do, I'm very active and they are telling me not to run and do what I enjoy. Not happy.

• Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you have/had ovarian cyst(s)?

Post View 52 Comments
  • Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cysts?

Post View 34 Comments
  • Ovarian Cysts - Experience

Please share your experience with ovarian cysts, for example, the type of cyst, any symptoms, the treatment, and/or any complications.

Post View 1 Comment

REFERENCE: Helm, W., et al. "Ovarian Cysts." Medscape. Updated Feb 12, 2015.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/255865-overview>