Paget's Disease

How was your Paget's disease diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tia , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had been experiencing pain in my right hip and femur, so the doctor sent me to physical therapy and then I was good like 2 days a week. I then went back and told the doctor that I was not doing well and she said time to take an x-ray. I asked then to x-ray the hip as well, she asked me why, and I said my Mom had terrible arthritis and she had it in her hip and her knee as well as many other places and so that is how we found out about her Paget's disease. My primary doctor at the time told me I didn't have it so I wanted to believe him. Turns out he was wrong and I had to go around him to get the help I needed. My orthopedic doctor gave me a referral and had the bone scan done. It's been a long journey and it seems to be a theme with the remarks. I had Reclast infusion on November 2, 2017 and it helped with the pain for a while. I have no idea where I am headed with this, but I can tell where the damage is in my body.

Comment from: GranDad David, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

My Paget's disease was discovered in a routine blood test due to the elevated level of the marker enzyme. At that time I had no other symptoms. A few years later I had a bone scan which confirmed some deterioration in the pelvis.

Altman, R.D., D.A. Bloch, M.C. Hochberg, and W.A. Murphy. "Prevalence of pelvic Paget's disease of bone in the United States." J Bone Miner Res 15.3 Mar. 2000: 461-465.

Ralston, S.H. "Paget’s Disease of Bone." N Engl J Med 368 (2013): 644-650.

Walsh, J.P., et al. "A randomized clinical trial comparing oral alendronate and intravenous pamidronate for the treatment of Paget's disease of bone." Bone 34.4 Apr. 2004: 747-454.