Painful Intercourse (Sex)

Please share your experience with painful intercourse or sex. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 59, and been through menopause early. The last couple years I have not been able to have intercourse due to pain. It feels like my boyfriend is too large, but we have been together for 20 years and had never had this problem. Doctor says it is due to dryness. But I tried all the prescription creams with no luck. It is very disappointing to say the least! Wondering if I need some kind of surgery. Going back to the doctor soon.

Comment from: Athena, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Age 66, it was the first time to attempt intercourse after being celibate for 25 years. There was a tearing sensation and pain on attempted penetration. I never had problems before. I found some reasonably priced uterine dilators online. If that doesn't work, I'll talk with my internist about (topical) estrogen cream. What a nasty surprise! I was just trying to start dating again, after all these years.

Comment from: Angie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've been having pain when I would try to have sex with my boyfriend and it hurts too much. I don't know if I have something wrong or that I'm just torn. I never had this happen before so I'm looking for answers and what I need to do. I have no health insurance.

Comment from: Jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I experienced vaginal pains during intercourse and afterwards a discharge that is smelly and whitish in color.

Comment from: kaka, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My girlfriend has always complain of sexual pains which makes me uncomfortable having sex with her. I feel pity for her because I feel she does not enjoy it.

Comment from: Smeeta p., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I got married just 20 days back. We tried to have sex 6 or 7 times (nights), but it was not successful because I felt so much pain during sex. My friends told me that it is ok as we are new and that's why it happened, after some days we will get successful.

Bachmann, and Richard J. Santen. "Patient Education: Vaginal Dryness (Beyond the Basics)." UpToDate.com. Oct. 24, 2018. <https://www.uptodate.com/contents/vaginal-dryness-beyond-the-basics>.

Heim, Lori J. "Evaluation and Differential Diagnosis of Dyspareunia." American Family Physician 63.8 (2001): 1535-1545.