Viewer Comments: Palpitations - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Experience

Please describe your experience with palpitations.

Comment from: Terry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have experienced stress induced palpitations since I was 24 years of age. They were very short at first like 2 to 5 minutes until the age of 55 and they would last 2 to 4 hours and the longest were 6 to 10 hours at 179 beats per minute. I was sent for tests and was told it was supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) and congestive heart failure (CHF). I had a cardiac defibrillator put in to stop the palpitations. So I guess if other family members did not have the same thing going on with them as I did I might have seen someone sooner; I thought it was normal. In hindsight I wish I had gone to an emergency room sooner, that is when I knew it was not normal.

Comment from: Shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had two atrial fibrillation attacks and on April 5 I'm having cardio ablation. I'm a little nervous about it but I think I'm in good hands and hope like crazy that it cuts down the number of palpitations that I get. It seems that I get many palpitations at night. Go figure, I'm not putting any stress on the heart of course but it really jumps around. By morning when I awake, I don't feel the palpitations. It all began with hyperthyroidism. I really want to get off the medicines (metoprolol and digoxin) that I'm on, I'll have to use the blood thinner forever. I'm female, 55.

Comment from: LoriMc, Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 46 year old female, recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I had been having some palpitations once in a while, not a lot. I have also been diagnosed with mild aortic stenosis and mitral valve regurgitation. I had my first iron infusion two weeks ago and see a cardiologist for the first time on Saturday. I had never had the feeling of it in the back of my throat until just the past couple of days. I never really thought anything about it until now. I am interested to hear what my cardiologist has to say about it. I have felt like I was close to passing out but it hasn't actually happened. I sometimes feel very fatigued. Anemia is at least partly the cause of that.

Comment from: Timmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I've been having some discomfort on the left side of my chest. This always happens when am wearing a tight or constricting shirt. I also feel very uncomfortable lying on my left side; feels like my heart's beating against the surface of the bed. No pain experienced yet. I wonder if I should be worried about the palpitations.

Must Read Articles Related to Palpitations

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized ...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or learn more >>

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter

Atrial flutter is a type of arrhyt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Causes

What is the cause of your palpitations?

Palpitations - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your palpitations?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow