Pancoast Tumor

What were your symptoms of pancoast tumor? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Charlie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 17

His pancoast tumor of the lung was diagnosed in 1983. He had severe pain in shoulder and down his arm. He also had cough with whiter frothy sputum and a smell from his lungs that made him sick. He died 4 months after being diagnosed. He also had Horner's syndrome.

Comment from: Ragmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

Today I was diagnosed Pancoast Tumor. I have left shoulder blade cramps with pain deep under my shoulder blade. I had never had these types of symptoms with my neck though. I read that in some cases, people show up for ortho or neuro consult and find out. In an MRI for my neck, the tumor showed. A CT with contrast today verified what was picked up in the MRI. I now wait for getting a biopsy....

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I received thoracic surgery for my pan coast tumor, followed by radiation in 2001 and still have Horner's Syndrome symptoms. I have been able to enjoy a very good quality life and returning to most of my activities a few months after the treatment in 2001.

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

My symptoms were pain in the shoulder blade that shot straight through to my chest. I had pain running down the inside of my arm and numbness in the arm and hand. I was diagnosed in 2003, and was stage 4 inoperable. I underwent chemo and radiation and the last month I had radiation twice a day. I am in my 7th year and my symptoms are returning the same way they started.

• Pancoast Tumor - Diagnosis

What tests diagnosed your Pancoast tumor?

Post
  • Pancoast Tumor - Treatment

Please describe the treatment(s) you received for a Pancoast tumor.

Post

Detterbeck, F.C. "Pancoast (superior sulcus) tumors." Ann Thorac Surg 63.6 June 1997: 1810-8.

D'Silva, Karl J. "Pancoast syndrome." Jan. 8, 2017. Medscape. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/284011-overview>.

Rosso, L., A. Palleschi, P. Mendogni, and M. Nosotti. "Video-assisted pulmonary lobectomy combined with transmanubrial approach for anterior Pancoast tumor resection: case report." J Cardiothorac Surg 11.1 Apr. 14, 2016: 65.

Torre, W., et al. "Role of surgery in a multidisciplinary approach to superior sulcus tumors (SST): morbidity and prognostic factors for long-term success after resection." Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 57.6 Sept. 2009: 353-7.