Pancreatic Cancer

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Terra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am a 56-year-old female diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December of 2006. I had a Whipple procedure in January of 2007 and began chemotherapy in April of 2007. Since then I have been on and off chemotherapy because my CA 19-9 numbers continue to bounce around. My CT, bone and PET scans remain negative. I never underwent any radiation treatments. I keep myself very busy with my 11-year-old and 8-year-old sons, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, church group involvement, volunteering at the school and the local food pantry, taking on-line classes at the community college and just keeping up with my home and family. Attitude is everything. You have to keep planning and setting goals for the future.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My husband of 30 years is alive and very well today after his pancreatic cancer diagnosis at the age of 37. We were told at the time he would not see his 38th birthday. He is now 55 years old. At the time of his diagnosis, only one surgeon was willing to help us as all our other avenues told us it was too late. After surgery, my husband elected not to have any chemo or any other radiation therapy. He battled for 12 months in recovery and slowly but surely he regained enough strength to go back to work full-time, very rarely having a sick day off. We were given a 1% chance of having anymore children and now have a grand 16-year-old boy. He has remained cancer-free to this day. When he is asked why he thinks he survived, he says, "It's all in the mind."

Comment from: dbent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March of 2006. I went to the Mayo Clinic and had the Whipple procedure on March 28, 2006. I returned home for three months for recovery. Then I returned to Mayo for three months of radiation and chemotherapy. As of last June 2009, my CT scan showed no new cancer cells, and the doctors have considered me in remission. I thank the Lord and Mayo Clinic every day of my life.

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 45 year-old male. I was recently diagnosed with carcinoma. I had severe abdominal and back pains for about six weeks. The CT scan shows a lump just under the head of my pancreas.

Comment from: N2Soccer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was diagnosed with pancreatitis in October, 2011. Then three days later diagnosed with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. I had the distal subtotal pancreatectomy. I healed for 5 weeks then started Gemzar chemotherapy for six months. I finished chemo up three months ago and I am still having problems getting my energy level back to normal. I walk and try to be active. October 28, 2012 will be my anniversary date with being diagnosed and I am so thankful I am still here.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May 2010. I began chemo for four months, had a two week break then began 24/7 chemo and radiation for two months. I am cancer free. My mother died from pancreatic cancer 20 years ago.

Medically reviewed by Jay B. Zatzkin, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Medical Oncology

Bailey, P., et al. "Genomic analyses identify molecular subtypes of pancreatic cancer." Nature. 24 Feb. 2016.

Dragovich, Tomislav, et al. "Pancreatic Cancer." Medscape. 20 Feb. 2013.

Mulcahy, Nick. "'Incredibly Promising' Adjuvant Agent for Pancreatic Cancer. Only for Asians?" Medscape News. 24 Jan. 2013.