Acute and Chronic Pancreatitis

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Walda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

My gallbladder was removed in 2012 but since then I have chronic diarrhea and get this nausea attacks where I can't lift my head, and vomit all the time. Nothing helps. It takes about 3 days to recover from an attack of pancreatitis. I eat very healthy and detox on a regular basis. I am desperate because it influences my work.

Comment from: Lopusa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy in 1994. Two years later I started having the same pancreatitis symptoms as I had prior to my surgery. Over the years the attacks, though infrequent, became more and more incapacitating. My last attack was eight years ago. I realized that the trigger was opioids especially morphine. For some reason I can tolerate hydrocodone. Alcohol, coffee, fatty foods, sugar, etc., don't affect me at all. I can eat anything! I appear to suffer from SOD, sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

Comment from: Rochelle, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

Alkalinity of the body is crucial to all health. Change of diet to more alkaline foods, warming foods like warm teas, broths, avoiding all icy drinks, adding herbals to the diet like cooked leafy greens and Swedish bitters will help the pancreas, liver, spleen and stomach. Getting to the root of why one has addictions and then getting help will begin to help dissipate the need for the addiction. I made a liniment for my pancreas area of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), magnesium oil, frankincense and golden seal and rubbed over spot daily on a week, off a week. I ate more fiber daily to help flush parasites out of the digestive system, and did some parasite detox. Getting sugar out of your diet is crucial to healing pancreatitis any and all digestive issues.

Comment from: Shelley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had my gallbladder out in 2012 and have had various problems with my digestive system since then. I have had pancreatitis before and after the removal of the gallbladder. So now it seems I have sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (SOD). SOD seems to be the main reason for pancreatitis and gallbladder inflammation. Some foods definitely trigger the spasms and pain. Things like sugar (of any kind), alcohol, white flour, meat, and animal fats should all be avoided. In addition, opioids, Tylenol and Imodium are also triggers for me. It is really a life changer and hopefully eating better will eliminate the spasms and pain for others also.

Comment from: Jeanine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had my gallbladder removed in 1999. No problems until the last six months. I started to get old attacks until finally I was diagnosed with pancreatitis when I went to emergency three weeks ago. I was in the hospital for four days. I was told to give up alcohol even though a casual drinker. Three weeks later and I have been on liver cleansing diet and had big improvements until I tried coffee. It been trial and error with food but noticed better with juices, soups and light non-fat, non-processed food. Lots of vegetables, salads, water and smaller meals/snacks as opposed to two or three large meals per day.

Comment from: JC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

This site is absolutely awesome! Loaded with information that is spot on. I do agree, diet will make or break you. I’ve watched many friends, as well as close family, die from pancreatitis simply because they weren’t taught the proper dietary restraints. Thanks for the wonderful words of wisdom.

Comment from: Priscilla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had my gall bladder out in 1988. I had pancreatitis and when I went to the hospital from work with an attack, they removed over 100 pebbles from gall bladder. I have dealt with constant diarrhea and abdominal pain ever since and just considered it to be normal. Lately my pain has been intense, especially today. I am diabetic, on insulin, and I eat healthy. My sugars are very high so I am not sure what it could be.

Comment from: Cory, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

Alcohol is the worst enemy. Highly rich foods bring on the pain as well. Lobster has been noted on several cases through my internal medicine physician. I am an alcoholic and continue with this.

Comment from: angroz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had my gall bladder removed and like some post before me for years I would go to the hospital and while I was there it would go away. I got so bad that I would draw circles where the pain was so I could at least show where it started. After that surgery 1 year later I started having pancreatitis attacks every other week. My doctor told me that if I did not stop drinking I would die. I stopped drinking but kept having attacks and they started removing some of my medications I was taking on a daily basis.

SLIDESHOW

Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't drink alcohol and try to follow a low fat diet. I absolutely don't eat any fried foods. My gallbladder was removed and low fat is recommended for that too. It took almost a year for my digestion to get back to normal. If I eat a higher fat food I am rewarded with an immediate trip to the bathroom. It has been 14 months and I haven't had any recurrence of my pancreatitis.

Comment from: bobear, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had chronic pancreatitis now for three years now, and I have changed my diet to eating broiled, or baked foods with little or no salt. I have found for some reason that when I eat potatoes or rice when I eat it seems to help a little. I wouldn’t recommend eating too many fatty foods like nuts or beans since these seem to inflame your pancreatitis, most of all just pay attention when you eat to how you react to the foods you are eating.

Comment from: LaurenC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Three months ago I was taken to the emergency room for sever pains in my upper and lower abdomen, all through my back and in my kidneys. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis, and stayed in the ICU for five days. I couldn't eat anything but chicken broth, and I was given strong pain medication every two hours. I was told to cut out alcohol completely because if I had one more drink my doctor said it would kill me. I have changed my diet but still seem to have an attack every couple weeks.

Comment from: Phyl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

In I had surgery in 1998 done on my pancreas where they split my pancreatic duct and grafted it to my small intestines. Over the last few years I have been experiencing pain in that area again. My stools are bright yellow like they were in 1998.

Comment from: nicwinn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have felt very sharp pains for years, I'd rush to the hospital and it would go away and I'd turn around and go home. I do drink, but not every day, not even every week. After work one night I was making dinner and had a glass of wine and I felt sharp, sharp pains start, it got worse and worse so I told my husband I'm going to the hospital and went. Not unusual for him not to worry being that I had like three surgeries in two years and I'm only 37. I couldn't even make it though. I pulled into the local police dept. and begged for an ambulance. I waited in agony for three hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days and found out I have pancreatitis, and I've had it for some time. No beer, no wine, limit fat and good luck is what I was told.

Comment from: Jeremy recovered, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I use to eat lots of candy and chocolate. Of course those have a lot of sugar in them. Since the pancreas is what balances insulin and helps prevent diabetes I stopped consuming a lot of sugar. My dad is diabetic and so I’m doomed to get it. I also stick with a greens (spinach salad) diet and eat lots of fish like tilapia, so my attacks are usually less often and less severe. I use to eat high fat and cholesterol foods like bacon. I stopped with food like that as well. I eat smaller more often meals rather than more food and less often. I also eat fresh fruits in the morning for breakfast and a healthy low fat snack in the afternoon like vegetables.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Changing my diet has absolutely helped my pancreatitis. I eat low-fat, lots of fluids, no alcohol and the least processed food is better. When I start to feel ill I switch to no fat fluids or soft foods.

I eat very low fat to no-fat food and that helps me to not have an attack.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Yes - lowering fats (ice cream, baked goods, butter, margarine, and similar) helps considerably. I now cook oatmeal every day, add craisins, almonds, etc. - less eggs, no bacon or sausage, no pizza, less cheese snacks, less chocolate, no coffee, low fat milk, less sugar, but more fruit, vegetables. I also eat smaller portions. I don`t need prilosec anymore, lost 10 pounds, feel fine.

Comment from: beetlejuice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

Slightly worried at the thought of completely eliminating alchohol and eternally monitoring diet, I am recovering from a gall bladder removal surgery after painfull pancreatitis.

QUESTION

Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW