Nail Infection (Paronychia)

Please describe your paronychia symptoms and signs. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: allygyrl, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My 6 year old daughter ended up getting a nail infection and was screaming every time I tried to remove the pus. I tried antifungal creams, alcohol, peroxide, etc., but nothing was helping the paronychia, not even soaking. Finally I tried vitamin E. The very next day it popped and by using vitamin E everyday it is completely healed. However, because it took too long to find a cure she is still losing her nail.

Comment from: tiemie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

My paronychia is around my cuticle at the bottom of my nails. My nails are grown out and there are blisters under my nails where it has grown out. They are on both hands, and at least 7 of my fingers have paronychia. I bought Clomaderm over the counter, I don’t know if it is going to work, I've been using it for 2 days.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My nail is painful, red and swollen. I had paronychia on my finger a month or so ago and it went away with home treatment after 3 weeks. Now I have one on the index finger of the other hand.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I wear fake nails and about a week ago I jammed my nail. Now it is swollen, has heat coming from it, and hurts like something else. Under the nail it is yellow and black, I don’t know if it is infected, and if so what to do for paronychia.

Comment from: tmruck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

It is red, swollen and painful right under the cuticle of my thumb because of paronychia.

Comment from: ddyoung44, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

The issue I have is, somehow a piece of my thumb nail is missing on the bottom of my nail and it looks like it could have possibly run up the nail. It doesn't show signs of an infection but I am very concerned about losing the whole nail from paronychia. Wondering if there is something I can be doing for this to ensure it doesn't get infected or get worse.

Comment from: Ravi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I got paronychia four times on each of the four edges of my toe. I consulted different doctors and took high dose antibiotics. But nothing improved. I also soaked my toes in warm water with magnesium sulfate, which gave me temporary relief. But the pus used to return every time. So the doctor removed my nail and drained the pus all four times it happened.

Comment from: Colleen , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have been battling this nail infection for almost 2 weeks. I finished my antibiotic doxycycline. I have been to the doctor’s office and the emergency room (ER) twice for lancing the paronychia. I have been doing warm soaks with antibacterial soap 3 times a day for two weeks. I am suffering, so tired and frustrated, and can’t do anything. It is horrible and gives me bad anxiety and chest pains. Back to the ER tomorrow.

Comment from: D.C., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I wonder how long after you start taking oral antibiotics and after the shot of antibiotics in the backside I should see relief. I'm in excruciating pain because of paronychia. They numbed the finger and tried to use a needle to release the pus but there wasn't anything by way of an ultrasound.

Comment from: Tai, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Chewing on my nails has anyway been an issue, and because of that I constantly get annoying, yet mild infections that hurt badly. The one thing I have found for immediate relief was taking a clean needle, poking into where the pain was, and applying Vicks with a Band-Aid overnight. If you are squeamish then you can just do the Vicks and Band-Aid overnight, though you may need to do it in the morning again. Of course if you still have paronychia after 3 days or so see a doctor.

Comment from: Marine61, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I am a 57 year old female who speed-walks 5 to 7 miles a day 5 days a week. When I had pain in a toe my doctor said I have generic toe fungus. She gave me a tablet for paronychia and said it would work 1 year. Two years later, bottles of fungicide and the toe got better, and then even though I still treat it, it came back near a 100 percent worse in a very short time. Now I am doing a 20 minute soak in apple cider vinegar, twice a day. I am not sure what I should do at bedtime. I've heard I shouldn’t bandage it. But I don't want it to snag on sheets.

SLIDESHOW

Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases See Slideshow
Comment from: HeatherD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had a very painful fingernail that turned green. I went to the doctor who referred me to the nurse who gave me antibiotic cream. Three weeks later paronychia getting worse, nail lifting off from the bottom, and throbbing like mad. I was getting pus out but now when I soak it nothing comes out. I think the nail will have to come off. I am getting pain right up my arm now.

Comment from: Tikkii, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I started to get pain in my finger 5 or 6 days ago, I thought ingrown nail at first, but then pain starting get out of control, and the whole tip of my finger swelled good, and smooth, didn't even look like my finger tip. Then yesterday when I went to school I asked my teacher his opinion, since now the finger was turning yellow all around the nail, that is when he told me that its paronychia. So I looked it up and tried my own home remedies. I lanced it, squeezed out about half a teaspoon of pus, and then held the finger in peroxide for 20 minutes. I also did the peroxide 2 more times that day, and at night my finger was huge and swollen but didn't hurt. This morning it did not hurt when I woke up and inflammation went down a bit but also feels like it is on fire when I touch my face. So about to finally go to the doctor, don't let it wait too long.

Comment from: BigWink, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I believe I initially banged my right index finger in my car, while digging for something in that narrow area to the right side of the driver side seat. It hurt when it happened but I shook it off, and went on. The next day I noticed I apparently had jammed or cracked the skin at the lowest point of the nail, where it falls under the skin. Since last week when it occurred, it has clearly become infected. At the top of my finger at the point of the cuticle, there is swelling from the paronychia. I noticed some pus a few days ago, and yellowish crust on the right side nail all the way down to cuticle. There is lots of redness around the finger, just below the nail a pus like bubble on top of the finger, and sharp pain when it touches anything.

Comment from: Why me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have paronychia and I put tea tree oil and iodine mixture on it with a Q-tip and then covered it with a Band-Aid every night for a few days and it seemed to help. Don't wait to see a doctor. It is painful!

Comment from: Somosko, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

Just like many people have already said if you feel as if you have paronychia symptoms go to the doctor immediately but when you go to the doctor let the doctor know about what information you have obtained off the internet so he doesn't misdiagnose you! That's what happened to me and then 2 days later it got a lot worse, and pain became so great. I had to go to the doctor and have it cut it open. Having this infection made me realize that there are levels of pain that I have never experienced!

Comment from: Moni, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My left third finger nail is chipping off after being affected by paronychia.

Comment from: Bobby Le Vack, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Paronychia hurts terribly. I get it all the time but the finger is the first and it hurts. I have been shot, stabbed, and I have been in rough times, but this hurts so bad, I haven’t even gone out for over a week, I am scared of the pain it is going to be. I can’t even wash my hand it hurts so bad, but to get shots all over it, then cut it open! It hurts so badly! I don’t want to go to the hospital but I am there in about 15 minutes.

Comment from: Lana, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My husband had paronychia on different finger three times, each time worse than the preceding. I wonder why, perhaps it is his cigarette intake.

QUESTION