What Is the Difference Between A PCR Test (Nasal Swab) And an Antigen Test For COVID-19?: A PCR (polymerase chain reaction) COVID-19 nasal swab test looks for genetic material from the deadly pandemic coronavirus, itself. A positive result means you are infected and should start quarantining. A positive antigen test also means you have an active infection, but this assay looks for protein specific to the virus instead of genetic material.
Must Read Articles:
CoronavirusCoronaviruses are very common and typical cause cold-like symptoms. There are seven coronaviruses that infect humans, with SARS, MERS, and COVID-19 being the most notable of the seven. However, COVID-19 (Wuhan coronavirus, 2019 novel coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV) appears to be more contagious than MERS or SARS and appears to not only spread via respiratory secretions, but it may also spread through fecal contamination.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention TipsSevere acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the virus that causes COVID-19. Reduce your risk of infection with the following tips: wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol; avoid touching your face if your hands aren't washed; practice social distancing (maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet).
Does COVID-19 Make Rheumatoid Arthritis WorseThe deadly COVID-19 coronavirus can trigger symptoms in people with rheumatoid arthritis. COVID-19 itself may be more severe in people who have rheumatoid arthritis as it is an autoimmune disease.
How Much Does It Cost to Correct a Deviated SeptumA common problem, a deviated septum is when the septum dividing the nose is off-center. When it causes bothersome stuffiness or difficulty breathing, it can be corrected by a surgery called a septoplasty. A septoplasty can cost anywhere from $5,152 to $12,633.
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction Test)PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is technique in molecular genetics that analyzes short sequences of DNA or RNA. PCR is used to help doctors diagnose HIV, viruses, and fungi in patients. RT-PCR is a test used to detect and measure RNA -- as of June 2020, this is the standard test to diagnose the presence of the SARS CoV-2 coronavirus responsible for the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.
What Is a COVID-19 Antibody TestA COVID-19 antibody test is a blood test that looks for immune system markers (antibodies) specific to an immune response to the coronavirus. This test can tell you if you have been infected, but there is no way to know just from an antibody test whether you are contagious still or not.
asymptomatic COVID-19 coronavirus quarantineHealth authorities say if you are positive for COVID-19, you should isolate yourself in quarantine for 10 days, even if you have no symptoms. Prevention measures like masks and handwashing can help keep you from spreading the disease if you live with non-infected people or must go in public for some reason.
What Is a COVID-19 Antibody Test? A COVID-19 antibody test is a blood test that looks for immune system markers (antibodies) specific to an immune response to the coronavirus. This test can tell you if you have been infected, but there is no way to know just from an antibody test whether you are contagious still or not.
Expert Views and News
- Many Diabetes Patients With COVID-19 Die
- As COVID Numbers Rise, So Does 'Psychic Numbing'
- Allergy, Pregnancy Concerns for COVID Vaccines
- Blood Glucose Predicts COVID-19 Severity
- Hospitals Get Regeneron COVID Monoclonal Antibody
- Health Workers and Families Risk for COVID
- President Trump, First Lady Positive for COVID
- One-Shot COVID-19 Vaccine Advances to Phase 3
- Hospitals Must Report COVID Data or Be Penalized
- Guidance for Elders With Diabetes During COVID
- 19 States Report Increase in COVID-19 Cases
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 Spread Deemed 'Rare'
- 10% With Diabetes Hospitalized for COVID-19 Die
- Panic, Abuse, Addiction: COVID-19 Mental Health
- FDA Alert on Accuracy of Rapid Test for COVID-19
- FDA Targets Fraudulent COVID-19 Products
- More Financial Doom or COVID-19 Death Spikes?
- 500 TSA Employees Test Positive for COVID-19
- Passive Ventilation Alternative for COVID-19
- Blood Clotting, Strokes in Young Adults With COVID
- Higher Mortality Rate in Ventilated COVID-19 Patients
- Anti-Parasite Drug Ivermectin Stunts COVID-19
- 'Stealth Transmission' of COVID-19
- Remdesivir (RDV) for Coronavirus
- Warning Against NSAID Use in Coronavirus
- 'Overwhelming' Number of COVID-19 Cases Expected
- Flood of COVID-19 Patients Could Swamp Hospitals
- COVID-19: CDC Reports Possible Community Spread
- Public Health Restrictions for COVID-19