Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease)

What were your gum disease symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: el, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had been getting sore places in my mouth that usually went away after a while. My dentist said I just had sore mouth and to use gingival toothpaste. However it got worse and then she told me I had advanced gum disease and it would get worse and nothing could be done! I have since lost most of my teeth. However I do blame that dentist for not noticing the condition until it was too late. I now go to another dentist but unfortunately most dentists are not interested in treating it. So I advise anyone to change their dentist if they are not being treated properly. There are treatments that can prevent gum disease getting worse. If you can afford it pay to see a periodontist.

Comment from: dodie rose, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I didn't have a clue I had gum disease until a tooth, number 12 upper in front and very noticeable, came loose. I was going to have it simply extracted and get an implant when I decided to get a second opinion. Good thing that I did, for when the second periodontist examined my teeth, he discovered an advanced case of periodontal disease. I was shocked since I take good care of my teeth (except for regular flossing, I hate it) and have them cleaned twice a year. It turns out that I was receiving inadequate dental care from my dentist for five years, who kept telling me I was in good shape! In place of flossing, I was told by a dental hygienist once that the small wire bushes are just as good; not really since they are not as effective as the floss. I now use both and am scheduled for extensive surgery this Friday in three different areas of my mouth. I am not looking forward to the recovery period. So learn from my mistakes, be sure that if you have a tendency toward accumulating plaque and calculus, the hygienist should be scaling and probing on every visit. If not, you will end up like me, dreading the necessary surgery in a few days. I was fortunate to find a qualified dentist so I am now on the road to recovery and receiving the care that I need. Expensive, but necessary!

Medically reviewed by Kenneth Rotskoff, MD, DDS; Board Certified Dentistry, Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery

REFERENCE:

"Gingivitis and periodontitis in adults: Classification and dental treatment"
UpToDate.com