Viewer Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD):

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: Jerry/929, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I first noticed my problem when I was 64. I was on vacation in Rome, Italy. Maybe the 9 hour flight contributed to bringing my peripheral vascular disease (PVD) to the surface. After walking about a block or two, both my legs hurt so bad I had to stop and rest. After a miserable vacation, I came home. I was seeing doctors for back pain. After useless injections, a physician's assistant suggested a hip x-ray. I did have a bad hip. During testing for the hip replacement, vascular doctor found blockages in both legs above knees. I got a new hip (December 2015). I went back to the vascular doctor. He attempted operation to clean arteries (March 2016) but they were calcified. He also tried to stent but could not inflate the balloon. Total failure. During this operation I developed atrial fibrillation. I went to a heart specialist. Six months later, I had a cardioversion that lasted 6 weeks. Two weeks later (December 2016) I had an ablation. Atrial fibrillation is now gone. Then I was suffering with my leg pain. I purchased a scooter. I could not even go grocery shopping without scooter. I thought some of the pain was from my back. My left foot was gradually losing feeling. I had a compressed nerve operation on left leg just below left side of knee. That opening did not heal, and I also developed another sore on bottom of left foot near little toe. I had a laminectomy (December 2017) L-2-3-4-5-S1. Back to the vascular doctor (January 2017) and went into operating room to bypass leg arteries, put in dye; they found blockages in pelvic area. They took me out and rescheduled for aortobifemoral bypass. Did that in February 2017. Now it is 10 weeks later. It's a miracle. I can walk again with no pain. I had nearly given up to scooter life. I smoked for 53 years. The doctor said if I didn't quit I would be back for more of the same. Last day I smoked was the day before surgery. The doctor prescribed patches while I was in hospital which was day 2, 3, and 4. He offered a prescription for when I was released from hospital. I am never going to smoke as long as I can walk without pain. I had cancer, lymphoma, treated with chemotherapy 7 years ago. I believe it contributed to the PVD. I'm sure the 53 years of smoking was a factor. Whatever the cause, if you can do anything to prevent PVD, please do. Again I say it's a miracle I can walk again.

I started to develop symptoms about 2 years ago. I thought the problem was my worn-out shoes and some weight gain. It got to the point that nothing I tried relieved the pain in both legs. I could no longer walk even a block w/o pain and it was affecting my job. The first vascular surgeon I saw said I was wasting his and my time because I was a smoker. That was a year ago. I am currently going through treatment which has included 10 inches of stenting in my left leg and an upcoming bypass in my right leg. I am only 49 years old and my surgeon says I have vascular disease of an 80 year old. If you smoke, please stop. If you have symptoms of PAD, most likely treatment will not be started until you QUIT SMOKING !!!!!!!! You have a choice here. How does dead tissue and amputation sound to you???

Comment from: ruerue05, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had peripheral vascular disease for three years. I have had my arteries in my legs cleared about six times. I have seven stents in my legs, one stent in my left kidney, and one stent in my pelvic area. I take Plavix and warfarin each day. I am researching a new drug called cilostazol that I will discuss with my doctor.

Comment from: Gillc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have hip and ankle pain, weakness of knee and hip, and also burning of outer calf muscle because of peripheral vascular disease. This is always there, but has becomes so much I can't walk.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I experience a numbness like pain in the left calf muscle when walking. This sensation stops when I stop walking and rest. It appears to start as a mild pain in buttocks or from back to buttocks. I wonder if this is a symptom of peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: bonnie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with a peripheral vascular problem. Both main arteries running down the inside of my legs are blocked, the right leg has a blockage of 9 inches and the left one is 10 inches. Before this I had a good sex life. But now getting and maintaining a full erection is very difficult.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had ankle and leg pain for years with no concrete diagnosis. Recently, I have had a new severe pain, only at night while in bed. It's a pain in the back of my calf that goes up to the back of my thigh. It doesn't subside for at least an hour or two. Sometimes it subsides when I get up and stand for a few minutes. I am concerned that it might be peripheral vascular disease.

Must Read Articles Related to Peripheral Vascular Disease

DVT (Blood Clot in the Leg, Deep Vein Thrombosis)
Blood Clot in the Legs

Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and contro...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD):

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Treatments

What treatments (medication, lifestyle changes, etc.) have been effective in managing and treating your PVD?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral vascular disease?