Plantar Warts

What was your experience with plantar warts? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a plantar wart on my heel removed with acid about 20 years ago. Talk about pain, oh my goodness! The acid application didn’t hurt but the next day and the days following I was in so much pain. Thankfully it went away. However, recently I have been having pain and discomfort in the same area where the wart was. Wonder if there could be something going on under the skin.

Comment from: F**k, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I suffer with plantar warts and have been suffering, for several years now. I tried apple cider vinegar (ACV) before, but the pain was unbearable and honestly I got impatient and stopped treating. Well, here I am trying the same method and am angry at myself for trying again because my feet are in so much pain. I’ve been soaking cotton balls in ACV and tea tree oil, and applying to the warts, and place a tape over them. It literally woke me up out of my sleep. I’ll have to see a foot doctor on a consecutive basis till this is gone.

Comment from: Vancouver Traffic, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Absolutely terrible all the way around. The 1st podiatrist was too busy getting me fitted for orthotics. The 2nd foot doctor would pare down the callus but really nothing for the wart. It was an emergency doctor who told me I had a plants wart! The surgeon wanted me fitted for night casts and surgery fairly quickly - it's taken 4 years to get to this point. Family doctor was freezing and paring callus fairly efficiently. New podiatrist has not tried to sell anything but every visit does cost dearly, we shall see.

Comment from: Worrywart, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a huge plantar wart under my big toe when I was 7. It was removed when I was 12. I'm 54 now, I still feel a tingle, and pain in the location all these years later. When it was removed it looked like a huge cone.

Comment from: Can't walk in NC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My plantar wart is ruthless! Well, I used the motor foot file (Amope) after bathing and tried many different home and OTC treatments. Nothing worked. The past 6 weeks I've been to a foot doctor who shaves it and puts a blister acid on it, and this has been a little painful the following day. It’s been 6 weeks, and two days ago I had the treatment done again. Now this time it hurts like a hive of angry bees and has a large red circle that covers most of my foot. I can't bear weight on my foot. Wondering if there is infection.

Comment from: Leanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have what I think is a plantar wart on my left foot. I had cryotherapy almost 2 weeks ago. I have had pain all the way up my leg since. Wonder if anyone has had any experience with this. Wonder if this is normal or if something else could be causing the pain. Ugh.

Comment from: Circe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Summer camp experience in the summer of 1970: communal showers are a breeding ground for plantar warts, seed warts, etc. I came back from camp, my mother thought it was a corn and tried to file it off with a nail file. Didn't work. Took me down to the neighbor lady who was a nurse. She diagnosed it and referred me to a dermatologist. Back then they froze it with liquid nitrogen and applied acid. It took me two months to get rid of it that way.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had deep plantar warts on both feet for over 25 years. Four times they were surgically removed. It was terribly painful, but the warts came back deeper and more painful every time. Today I can only put on flat shoes with thick, softly padded insoles to be able to walk at all. Walking barefooted is no longer possible, my warts even ache when I am in bed, sometimes I awake from their throbbing pain. Since the last surgery the pain of my warts is unbearable, there is hardly life quality left.

Comment from: RNinPAIN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

The dermatologist started with freezing the plantar wart after scraping it down. It came back. Then we scraped, froze and applied acid patches. It came back. Yesterday we finally did a local anesthetic, cut it completely out and cauterized the area. Unfortunately it's on the ball of my foot. I was told it would feel like a scrape when the local anesthetic wore off. I generally have a high pain tolerance but due to the location and amount of tissue removed I am unable to bear any weight.

Comment from: North, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a plantar wart develop on the inside heel of my foot, and then two years later one developed on my left pinky finger. Effort 1, several weeks of salicylic acid treatments - failed. Effort 2, two cryogenic treatments from the doctor - failed. Effort 3, duct tape treatments - failed. Effort 4, milkweed treatments - failed. Effort 5, several weeks of nightly apple cider vinegar cotton ball treatments held in place by duct tape, followed by morning removal of dead infected skin, followed by Golden Salve day treatment - worked!

SLIDESHOW

Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases See Slideshow
Comment from: Rachel , 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 08

I have had several plantar warts on both of my feet for months now. It is so painful, I can barely walk! When something hits a wart on my foot, it feels like I stepped on glass. Definitely going to try some of the methods on here so I can get rid of them.

Comment from: Stacia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I thought it was a callus. It was underneath my little toe on the outer aspect of my foot. I had it for over twenty years. I used to use a Pedi Spin. A friend saw it and told me it was a plantar wart! I was grossed out as I felt I had 'nourished it' applying lotion after 'sanding' it down. The dermatologist was freezing it every two weeks for a couple months but she told me she had no idea how long it could take. I decided I wanted it cut out and did it yesterday. When they numbed me it was painful. I now have a scab.

Comment from: Martee75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

My first plantar wart appeared on the sole of my foot about a year ago. Didn't bother me unless I was barefoot. Then I sprained my ankle and had to be off of my foot for nearly a month. Once I was able to walk again, the wart started to bother me. I decided to see a podiatrist. My 1st visit, he froze it and a blister formed. A week later, he froze it, and applied cantharidin afterwards. Two weeks later, he removed the blister, and it hurts to put pressure on it. Let's hope it worked!

Comment from: Deanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I got a plantar wart deep in the heel of my right foot six weeks ago. It causes extreme pain when I walk always. I had my general physician freeze it twice with liquid nitrogen to no avail. Also painful to have done. I went to the podiatrist who cut away all the callus of my heel first, then put this stuff he called “beetle juice” or liquid nitrogen on steroids on the wart. It didn’t hurt to do it but I couldn’t walk for three days and now am putting a chemotherapy drug on it called fluorouracil for the next three weeks; surgery next.

Comment from: Knn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I’ve had a plantar wart on my left foot years ago. It caused so much pain I had it surgically removed, and it left a massive scar. Another popped up on my right and I panicked. I tried salicylic, duct tape, super glue, ignoring it for 2 years, etc., and it became a super wart; 16! It was getting out of hand and contagious. I heard about apple cider vinegar years ago, but only tried it now. It’s been a week and I can’t tell you how satisfying it was when it just peeled off like a wet sticker. Why didn’t anyone tell me!

Comment from: hellofriends, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I want to share because I tried absolutely everything for plantar warts and could not get rid of them. Listerine, vinegar, scraping, and none of that helped one bit. They actually spread a bit. What worked for me was a prescription for Aldara. It's used for genital herpes (kind of embarrassing) but it worked within one prescription for me and I was really happy. Just get a doctor to prescribe it, apply it to the warts under a Band-Aid overnight so it can work. It's magical!

Comment from: Its Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have a plantar wart on top of my left big toe. It is right in the crease, so it bleeds and is sore a lot. I have never before had one, and would like to know any home remedies that worked for any of you, please. Thank you!

Comment from: Famouswriter, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

Back in 1958, I had a really bad plantar wart on the bottom of my foot. I limped in pain and walked with my foot turned. My doctor was of no help. I used Freezone off the shelf from a drug store every day, and in a couple weeks, I pulled it out along with an enormous root. I had a big hole for a while, but it healed and never came back.

Comment from: di, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have five plantar warts now and just read a medical study that said cimetidine (usually used to treat ulcers) taken orally will kill the virus. I had never read that before, though there are several studies online, just Google it. I will be trying it and wonder why I had never heard of using a widely available over-the-counter medicine to treat plantar warts before. I will be using it in combination with duct tape, I've tried everything else. Wonder if anyone on here has tried using cimetidine (it's the same as Tagamet I think).

Comment from: Cedar, 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 06

I developed a plantar wart on the ball of my foot when I was 18. I'm now 56. Over a year ago, it became painful and I went to a dermatologist. He tried scraping and freezing it every few weeks for 6 months. He then added beetle juice, cantharidin to the treatment for 6 months. A very painful blister forms then peels off like a callus after 5 days. My wart just comes back. My doctor gave up... gave me the bottle and said to use weekly. I'm going to try other remedies. I am in pain and depressed.

QUESTION

Ringworm is caused by a fungus. See Answer
Comment from: eleni, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 27

I got a plantar wart on my tiny right toe and the ball of my right foot. I have pain according to weather! It is still small and I want permanent removal. I am looking for a doctor who does this kind of treatment.

Comment from: WartFreeForever, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Eight years ago I found a home remedy online for plantar warts using apple cider vinegar (ACV) and tape method. I wore it nonstop for 6 weeks and it fell off in the shower. Now to my surprise it has returned to the same exact spot! I felt the itching but I was in denial of the little annoyance, I thought it was just in my mind; the memory is very haunting once it's finally gone. But it was turning red, itchy and my right toe always would scratch it automatically so I 'm using ACV again. It works!

Comment from: Almost pain free , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had a knot on the bottom of my left foot. It felt like there was a piece of glass stuck in my foot. After numerous visits to a general practitioner, a podiatrist, and a skin clinic, I was told it was a plantar wart, a corn and a callus. They treated with salicylic acid and betel juice and cut it. After 7 years I went back to the original podiatrist, the very first one I went to 7 years earlier. He did a laser surgery about 3 months ago and it's pretty much gone. It still hurts if I push on it.

Comment from: Maureen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had tried duct tape for a plantar wart on the side of my foot. When it didn't work my general physician treated it with liquid nitrogen which got rid of the wart but now I have nerve pain in that area. I had 3 or 4 treatments. I saw a podiatrist who said the nerve pain is from using too many liquid nitrogen treatments. The nerve pain will likely never go away entirely. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if the pain eventually subsides. The pain comes and goes. It's been about five years now.

Comment from: TKetner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

This is going to sound crazy, but 100 percent true. A friend was stung in the hand by a bee, right next to where he had a wart. A few days later the wart was gone. I had a plantar wart on my foot I could not get rid of. I caught a bee and carefully arranged it so I was lightly pinching its back through a towel. I let the stinger slide in and out of the tough skin a few times, barely going in and zero pain. The wart was gone in 3 days. I have done this 2 more times successfully. I don’t know why this works.

Comment from: JEFF, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I had a plantar wart removed surgically couple years ago. It was really painful and deep. Now on the same spot where the hole was I have a huge painful callus. I’m betting it came back. I have a doctor’s appointment in 1 week.

Comment from: ugh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I've been getting treatments for a plantar wart on my foot and multiple ones on my finger. It's been almost a year of liquid nitrogen treatments every 2 or 3 weeks, and I've done over 12 aggressive freeze treatments. And, honestly, I've seen almost no results. I've also been using Compound W and an over the counter topical treatment that my dermatologist recommended. They won't go away. It's terrible, and I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do at this point.

Comment from: Al, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am 53 years old. I developed my first plantar wart under my big toe in February. I tried having it frozen. Didn't even touch it! I then went to my podiatrist and had it cut out. One month later, I had two more plantar warts on the same toe under the previous wart's spot. I went to my podiatrist right away as these are very painful to walk on! He cut the two warts out again, cutting deeper to the fascia and up to the previous spot of the first wart. It has been two weeks. In pain!

Comment from: Hatemy foot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have a plantar wart on my left heel and nothing has worked. I've been to two podiatrist and can barely walk on my foot. The pain is unbearable. This has been going on for four months and I am exhausted.

Comment from: Jack, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

After suffering with 2 plantar warts on my big toe for a couple of years, I was finally able to get rid of one. Now, I am on day 2 of trying the duct tape. Half way through the day, it is excruciating… worse than ever (no, my circulation is not cut off). I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: qwerty, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 29

Nineteen years ago, I had a deep, painful wart on my palm close to the index finger for a year. I carefully used Compound W and it got worse. It bled and enlarged. I went to the dermatologist 2 times. The first doctor sprayed liquid nitrogen from 18 inches away from my palm with no results. Next time another doctor held my hand down while he sprayed the nitrogen a millimeter from my palm. It hurt just for a day or so and the wart was gone in 3 days.

Comment from: KB, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My son has two plantar warts. They only became known to me after he started complaining of pain. At first we thought it was a sliver in his foot! I've been using compound W for 2 days but it now looks like a blister that is really painful for him. I feel like a trip to the clinic is in order but maybe this is what it looks like when it's on its way out? I wonder if anyone else experienced this while using compound W.

Comment from: Lekshmi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

My first plantar wart on my forefinger was developed during November 2017. It was so painful and developed to a full size within 3 months. So an incision procedure had to be done on February 2018, with 3 stitches on my forefinger. But unluckily four more warts appeared on the same right hand and one on left hand. But luckily somehow the very small wart on left hand finger and one on the right hand palm disappeared within some days. Other two nearest warts on the other side of the forefinger have developed further from a very small size, with itching. But the most painful one with a large size and to a depth is the on the middle finger. Oh, it’s so painful like the old one. Cryosurgery is suggested. But I didn't get time to go for it. I searched for home remedies and natural remedies on the internet all the time. One week back I wrapped my two fingers with a cello tape with plenty of baking soda powder in it for 2 hours just for two days. After that I made pineapple jam with 25 pineapples which I peeled and cut myself (contact with pineapple for an hour and half) and I cut and ate one pineapple each day for the 2 days. But after that day my wart dried up and I removed the dead cells with forceps. Now there is no wart on my fingers. I don't know which worked; pineapple or the baking powder. But of course it is a big relief from the pain physically and mentally.

Comment from: Scb_1919, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I developed my first plantar wart on my left foot about 2 years ago. I tried a few home remedies with no luck but luckily it is not very painful. But now I have another right on the ball of my right foot and this one can be painful at times. Because I'm an avid runner I'm terrified to seek treatment because I've heard so many stories of how the warts became worse after seeing a doctor and also some of the recovery times sound long. As of now if I tape up the wart to keep it dry and somewhat padded. My runs are not too painful but I am worried if I do nothing they may become painful, but if I seek treatment not just running but walking in general may become painful.

Comment from: Milo0902, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I have been suffering with a terrible plantar wart on my right foot, almost on the ball of the foot since 2013. The pain was so unbearable sometimes, it felt like there was a piece of glass stuck inside my foot all the time. At night it was like the foot muscles would spasm around this wart. I had been to my general physician for numerous consultations, where they slice away the dead cells, open it up and place salicylic acid onto the wart and I must keep it covered for 3 days. This did not work. In the meantime I just tried to keep it as soft as possible, tried to walk less, stopped running etc. I even visited an orthotist who suggested I get inner soles made at a ridiculous cost. I did this and it did not help with any pain or discomfort. Finally I went to a ladies pamper party where a stranger advised me to take the pith of a lemon skin and soak it in white vinegar overnight, open up the wart, cut a piece of the soaked pith and place it on the wart, cover it with a plaster and continue daily. I did and it only took 6 weeks and minimal discomfort for the wart to be gone. I only have a small scar but I can have a normal life again.

Comment from: Leyla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

The plantar wart happened in my 20s under my foot. For a while I didn't mind but then it visually disturbed me. So I started cutting it weekly as deep as it won't hurt and bleed. After months of consistent cutting, it disappeared by itself. Here I don't suggest anyone adopt this method since it is mentioned that cutting caused staph infection in some people. But it somehow helped me.

Comment from: Tina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I've had plantar warts and they are a pain! For the longest time I thought I was just experiencing very painful calluses until I did some research. I found that these painful little warts on the bottom of your feet are called verrucas (also known as plantar warts). I must have read through 100 different treatments. I came across this one method called Verruca's Kryptonite, which consisted of only using all natural home remedies to cure warts. I applied the solution and it worked quickly. My wart fell off in 3 days and I was pain-free! I used a combination of apple cider vinegar, banana peels, and nail polish. I was surprised this actually worked and thankful that it did. There are a lot of wart removal treatments out there. Anything that starves your wart of oxygen should work.

Comment from: Alex J., 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 28

Although plantar warts may disappear after treatment, they may not always stay away. It is important to understand that HPV (human papilloma virus) can be quite resistant and may lie dormant in your skin even after treatment. Warts may therefore reappear sometime after treatment. Anyway, do not leave your warts untreated.

Comment from: martha5211, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had a plantar wart for many years. I heard of putting duct tape on all over it to totally cover it, and not to let any air. I also heard of putting vitamin E on it and covering the wart; vitamin E with an air tight bandage. I had mine removed a few times with a scalpel and had that cold stuff put on it as well to no avail, it just likes me. The vitamin E worked the best. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Embarassed User, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a plantar wart for 6 months and decided to go with homeopathic treatment before going to the doctor (out of fear and embarrassment). I was told to try an apple cider vinegar soak for one hour a day. It was a pain, but I did it before I would go to bed while watching the news and did that for three weeks consecutively. It worked! My wart slowly disappeared. I am glad because I hate doctors and was really scared of getting 'scraped'.

Comment from: Odd story, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had a plantar wart on my left heel for 26 years. I must have tried every known over-the-counter product and home remedy. I just couldn't brave it to see a doctor to get it surgically removed. I stopped getting professional pedicures because every time I tried a new treatment, the wart just got bigger, more painful, and so embarrassing! Fast forward 23 years and I found myself with a wart on my thumb. Despite my fear of needles, I finally went in to see a 'wart specialist' doctor. He actually gasped at the sight of the wart on my heel and left to get a measuring tape; I so wish I was making this up (1 inch in diameter). In that visit, the doctor only had time to remove the wart on my thumb. He said it would take a number of treatments for my heel. Long story short, I don't know if my foot saw what he did to my thumb, but it is going away on its own now. I've read the stories out there, 'they go away on their own within two years.' No, no they don't. I am totally baffled that immediately after a wart was surgically removed from my thumb, my 26 year wart would just fade away from my heel. It has to be connected, body learned to fight it off.

Comment from: Larry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I suffered with plantar warts for over 30 years. It started on left foot and spread to the right. Neither repeated freezing nor acid treatments gave lasting results. Now all of them are gone; or in remission due to laser treatment by a qualified podiatrist. Very thankful.

Comment from: alex, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

My brother had a serious case of plantar warts as a kid. The doctor told him to soak it in hot water with betadine soap for 5 minutes. Then, put a jock itch antifungal cream on it, and wrap it. Do it every day for 2 weeks. It works for me. I've used it on my hand, and I now have one on my foot, and it's getting smaller by the day.

Comment from: Dale, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I had a cluster plus 5 individual plantar warts on the bottom of my foot for more than 30 years. They eventually became painful and this was my treatment; 4 sessions of cryotherapy from my dermatologist over 4 months, 4 more months of daily application of salicylic acid and scraping and finally one last cryotherapy treatment. After 8 months of persistence they are all gone. No scaring at all. The secret is persistence!

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had plantar wart on the ball of my foot off and on for 10 years! Laser surgery kept it off for a couple of years but it came back last year. I've had 3 laser treatments, 2 freeze treatments and 1 injection of bleomycin! I still have it! I'm going to try oregano essential oil next.

Comment from: Marion, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had painful plantar warts for more than 25 years. I tried really everything to get rid of them, but the condition became worse. I got laser therapy, and after a painful healing period the warts returned even more painful. Finally they were removed surgically, and after almost one month of horrible pain they came back again, deeper and larger than before. Today I am almost unable to walk as they hurt awfully. I deeply regret having them treated. If I would have let them alone I would never have been disabled as I am now.

Comment from: Kitty shemear, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My plantar warts started as a small swelling like a pimple that didn’t hurt but as time went on, it started to swell and get hard and a bit painful. I tried cutting it off with a nail cutter but this didn’t work, even medication of salicylic acid in a pencil form hasn’t helped. Now my toe is more painful than ever, walking or wearing closed shoes is hard. My toe is now turning darker and the skin around is peeling off too.

Comment from: lanabug, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

The more I walk the sorer and severe the pain from my plantar wart.

Comment from: Sassy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Plantar warts are very painful, I can't even walk!

Comment from: Limping. Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I've been seeing my podiatrist for over a year now for a plantar wart. I had surgery to no avail of being rid of this painful monster. I'm now trying duct tape compound with freezing, my doctor even tried a salve used to treat pediatric cancer. I'm still suffering!

Comment from: Sanith, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Salicylic acid is a good medicine that can remove plantar warts if you use it properly. I have experience with plantar warts. Use the medicine as described below. Soak your feet in hot water at least 5 to 10 minutes before applying salicylic acid. Apply salicylic acid in the affected area on a daily basis and cover it with a Band-Aid. After one week you can easily remove the wart from your foot. Keep patient and apply the medicine, this is not a dangerous disease but it is a little painful, that’s it.

Comment from: Joni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I presently have 4 plantar warts -- 2 on the bottom of each foot, on the ball area. I started using Dr. Scholl's Clear Away Wart Remover for plantar warts. After 8 days, the worst one came up and I have such relief when walking now! Follow the directions to the letter. This product is a relief.

Comment from: Januel sr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I wonder if nobody’s plantar wart itches like mine do.

Comment from: Lady Ga Ga 2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had plantar warts on both balls of my feet when i was 35 years old. They were very painful, plus I had a job that put me on my feet all day. I never walked around in a public shower barefooted, so I do not know how I contracted them. I went to a podiatrist and he cut them off. That was 30 years ago and they never came back.

Comment from: maxine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have been suffering for at least 10 years. I've tried everything and every type of foot doctor. Nothing works. I have them on both feet. I can no longer wear certain shoes. I’m totally fed up. I’ll be sure to try some of the suggestions I've read here.

Comment from: momof4, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

I've treated all four of my kids for plantar warts at some point. I placed white vinegar on a bandage and covered the wart with it every night. Over time, painlessly, the wart works its way up until it looks like an ugly wart we're used to seeing on skin and falls out of the foot.

Comment from: pain4years, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had plantar warts on the bottoms of both of my feet for 27 years. I've been trying to get rid of them by burning and freezing them. Nothing is working and they are so painful I can hardly walk.

Comment from: Danielle, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I've got a fairly big wart just below my toe and sometimes it hurts so much I can't sleep.

Comment from: patient, (Patient) Published: June 28

I got my first plantar wart about four months ago. It's toward the center of the bottom of my foot, so it hurts when I walk. Medicated pads didn't help, so I tried two sessions of cryotherapy. It turned the wart black, and now I have two more growing under my foot. Ibuprofen helps with the pain, and now I'm trying the salicylic acid and continuing cryotherapy. My PCP says to try salicylic acid and cover with a banana peel. I’m not sure how this will turn out, but I’ll give it a try.

Comment from: KC1986, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have a plantar wart on my heel. It hurts so bad to walk on. I've tried freezing it off with that at home stuff. It's only been a few days and no luck yet. I can't tell if it even worked. It doesn't feel any different.

Comment from: shannong, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My 8yr old son had a fairly large plantar wart on the heel of his foot that we tried treating for a year with medicated salicylic pads. They were not working. I read online about the crazy idea of using nail polish, so we tried this and it seems to have worked. The wart seemed to come more and more to the surface and we kept seeing more and more dots in it - but I could tell there was a difference because they were now at the surface. I wasn't totally sure the nail polish was working, so one night we pumiced the wart down as usual and I added a drop of the liquid salicylic acid. The next day, the wart was very black inside. Over the next few days, we pumiced the black away, and it appears to be totally gone. I think it was the nail polish that made all the difference.

Comment from: pdf6161, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I and two of my children have had plantar warts which we soaked in apple cider vinegar. After numerous soakings, they turned black and fell out. The vinegar treatment was pain-free and seems to have been effective. The children have not had a recurrence; it's been 6 months to a year; mine fell out this week. My son was 6, my daughter 11.

Comment from: skaiton, 45-54 Female Published: April 28

I have had a cluster of warts on bottom of foot and went today to have frozen off. It was very painful, also small wart on tip of finger also frozen. I hope this works. My sister used medicated bandages from nail salon for her warts on hands. She used them for two weeks. Her wart they became red and fell off, have not come back at all. Maybe I’ll try them next!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had 1 large plantar wart as a teen, had it surgically removed, off my feet for a week, it healed, never to return for approx. 35 years. It's back with a lot more all on that same foot. I had laser surgery, which was the worst mistake in my life. Seven weeks after surgery they were all back, but double the warts. My foot is a mess.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have a plantar wart or warts on the ball of my foot -- it has been treated by my family doctor, a foot care nurse and a podiatrist. The podiatrist has scraped and cut, used acid and laser and the darned thing keeps coming back. This article was helpful I'm going to try some of the solutions suggested -- such as duct tape.

Comment from: Female Published: April 01

When I was around 10 years old I had a plantar wart on my heel. My mother took me to our doctor who put a ring of petroleum jelly around it and dropped acid in the middle and stuck round toothpick in it and twirled it around. It hurt more than childbirth, but the wart went away.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have found using little squares of banana skin (white side down on wart) and taping as if using chemical wart remover is good. Some old relatives told me about this and it works. There seems to be a local anesthetic in the skins because as soon as you start using them the pain seems to ease .I thought it might just have been the taping that did it but have tried other things (including wart lotion)and have not have same effect.

Comment from: plantarh8er, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 21

My son is only 5 and has a plantar wart on the bottom of his little foot. I have tried the duct tape which doesn't stick to his 'busy boy' feet. It is starting to cause him some discomfort. The comments I have read here are helpful, but now I am very scared. I don't want him to have a quarter-sized hole in his foot or pain, he is way too active for that!

Comment from: Motherof4, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had a plantar wart for almost 6 years now. I started with the family doctor and he used salicylic acid and he was digging at it (at least 3 months). Next, I saw a podiatrist who cut on it and treated with stronger salicylic acid every 2 weeks. Said it was gone but came back within a few months. Decided to try a dermatologist and he chose to freeze the thing 4 times over a 3-4 month period. It did go away and he said he cured me! He gave me lotion to apply if it started to come back. Well it did and before I knew it, it was out of control again. I switched family doctors because we moved and he sent me to another podiatrist who used a laser on the wart and then had to laser it again because it came back immediately. It was very deep he said and he had trouble getting it all. The second time it did go away but only for maybe a month and when it came back it is now 3 times bigger. It is about the size of a quarter now on the ball of my foot and very painful! I have spent over $2500 out of pocket in co-pays and medicine now for the plantar wart!! For the past 6-8 weeks I have been scraping the thing off and applying vinegar to a small piece of cotton and putting it on the wart and covering with duct tape. It is very painful when I scrape too much but it is making progress. My sister dug for about an hour last week and it was painful but looking better. I am now soaking it and scraping it and applying tea tree oil to it. I might be able to keep it under control and less painful with this maintenance is what I am thinking at this point. It is cheaper than going to doctor at $30 an appointment. They can't seem to get the job done for me permanently!

Comment from: frustrated, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

After reading all the disappointing stories about plantar warts, I am bummed at how nothing is helping any of you with this problem. My 11-year-old has one on her heal, maybe the size of a quarter. Just started with the Compound W and taping it up at with duct tape. Hoping it works for her. I am going to bring her soon to a dermatologist to check it out, treat it and let’s hope for the best. Awfully big pain in the you-know-what, never mind her poor foot. FRUSTRATING!!!!

Comment from: Jds, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 15

My son had large clusters of warts on the bottom of one foot. Salicylic acid had no effect. Duct tape wouldn't stick to his sweaty little foot. We went to a podiatrist and he said the best thing was surgical excision. It took weeks for the quarter sized wounds on the bottom of his foot to heal. Later, a dermatologist said they have had success with injecting the warts with yeast to make the body attack the wart and get rid of it. Wish I had known. The scarring from the surgery causes constant discomfort to my son.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Mine started with a few warts clustered on the bottom of my heel. My doctor used liquid nitrogen on them and salicylic acid salve. My wife got some of them out with tweezers. Finally doc cut out a patch of skin the size of a quarter and cauterized it. That took two or three months to heal. Soon warts reappeared and formed a big one the size of the quarter. I tried duct tape for six months and had cauterization done again. As soon as it healed and I stopped covering it, warts began appearing.

Comment from: mark, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 18

I have been treating my 8 year-old for the last two months with medicated discs from a wart removal system, containing 40% salicylic acid. She didn’t like rubbing the pumice stone to get rid of skin, but would let the local doctor cut layers off. We tried freezing and burning and they didn’t work. Once pads are on then we place air tight tape over the warts to keep air and light out, this seems to have worked, as we can see a tiny hole where the root was. I’m taking her to the doctor again soon, and I hope it’s good news.

Comment from: gin gin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Plantar warts: I had a large one, which was quite painful. I used the medicated pads faithfully for weeks it finally came out. It was like a cork underneath. The relief was pretty immediate although my foot was sensitive. From then on, I stopped wearing heels and hard-soled shoes and nearly quit wearing non-cotton socks. I’ve never had another plantar warts and it's been 20 years. Now treating one for my 10-year-old.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I never had a wart in my life, I moved to a colder climate and within the first year I got my first wart. I had to have my warts "cut out" by a podiatrist. It was been 6 years now and the warts will not go away. I am always in pain from my warts, either the pain of having them or the pain of having them removed. I am now seeing a dermatologist who is trying to treat the virus, it has been 8 months, no luck and 2 more have just appeared. I don't know what to try next.

Comment from: moosecat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I've had a large plantar wart on the outer ball of my foot (towards the pinky toe side) for over a year. I have been treating it myself by shaving it with a special shallow shaver made especially for that purpose, but it is still there and may, in fact, be getting bigger. It has become very painful lately, even when I'm reclining, so I'm afraid it may now be infected. I'm going to try the commercial remedies next, as well as (finally) think about seeing a podiatrist. I will add that this article (and its live embedded links) is the most complete and helpful article I've yet found.

Comment from: ouch, Published: June 24

I got my plantar warts when I was about 11 and recently had laser surgery to remove it. It was very painful for about 2 weeks and I could not put pressure on it for about a month. They went very deep and wide, but it was a big wart. It healed and cleared up and I had no pain at all! But within 7-9 months it came back, full force and it seems it is much more sensitive and painful. I am looking into more options. I think if I would not have waited so long to have it done, it would have worked, but I was young and it didn’t bother me too much till I became older. Hope whatever you decide works!

Comment from: maga, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I had an electrodessication procedure for a wart that was very deep. It’s been almost two weeks and my foot is still too painful to put weight on it. I can’t golf or do yard work. I didn’t realize this would be disabling for so long.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

Excellent - simple, well laid out. This provides a bit more information than other sites, but without causing alarm unduly.

Comment from: Jules, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had a plantar wart on my left foot just under the second toe. It got so bad that I could not put my foot down completely to walk. After many types of treatment, the doctor decided that radiation was the only method that would work. The wart had grown so much and spiraled downward that it interfered with my walking, thus the quicker method. After approximately 6 weeks, the wart came out as a cone of flesh and I have never had another problem.

Comment from: flatulance, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I had one when I was around 13 or 14. It was about the size of a pencil eraser about an inch below my big toe on the ball of my foot. Took care of it with ice, lydocane, a dremmel tool, and some needle nose plyers. Drill around it with a circular saw attachment then grab it with the plyers. Sometimes they squeal in protest at this point and there will be a lot of blood. I sold mine to a Chinese merchant who deals them on the black market for use in soup.

Comment from: mullenstu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Many years ago, as a teenager, I had clusters covering the bottom of my feet and up between the toes. A podiatrist successfully burned them off with an electric needle. About 25 years later, I developed one more. A dermatologist placed a drop of blister beetle extract on it. The skin blistered, raising the wart up with it. When the skin fell off, the wart fell off with it. I've had no warts since.

Comment from: olie, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My 20 year old son has had this planter wart for 3 years. Probably grown to the size of a 50 cent piece. Has tried freezing, medication, burning and cutting, etc. been referred to a dermatologist. I can’t believe it’s this difficult to get rid of.

Comment from: bad_pain&burning, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have had my wart burned off and a few years later in came back. And now it’s much more painful. I can’t handle to even stand on it. I cut it out once a week and the pain goes away for a day or two then it’s right back but hurts worse than it did before I cut it. I am not sure what I should do now but the damn thing is killing my foot. If anyone has any idea what I should do about it now. Please let me know.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW