Pleurisy

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Raoshu, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I just walked to the mailbox and suddenly had shortness of breath. That went on for a while with no other symptom. And the doctors couldn’t tell me what was wrong. My heart was fine, and chest x-ray was fine. Then I was just sitting and had a pain in my chest on the left side. I went to the emergency room to rule out heart attack. It was pleurisy. No fun. They gave ibuprofen. I am still having issues.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

My pleurisy symptoms were chest pain, and pain in my shoulder and back; horrendous pain.

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

My pleurisy symptoms were a mild cough and shortness of breath, followed within a couple of days with general fatigue and then severe chest pain. This initially felt sore but quickly became like a stabbing pain in my upper chest, my shoulder and under my arm. I was given antibiotics for a week which cleared the infection but the pain is still very bad (keeping me from work/sleep) almost two weeks later.

Comment from: damo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

After getting the flu shot last year I ended up at the doctor’s with severe pain in my chest, and got x-rays and ultrasound scans on my chest and abdomen. It cost me about USD 800. I didn't think the flu shot could have caused such pains. Then again this year I got the flu shot and ended up in the emergency room with severe chest pain and difficulty breathing. This time it cost me USD 4500! My insurance brought the price down to USD 3500 of which my insurance paid USD 2000 so I got hit for USD 1500. Diagnosis was pleurisy.

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Shortness of breath, stabbing pain in my left side and migraine on the left side are my symptoms of pleurisy. I run into walls, and my speech is slurred. It has started about 3 weeks ago.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have severe sharp pain on the side lower back. Sharp intense pain when trying to take deep breaths. Pain when trying to move. Worried about pleurisy.

Comment from: Arlieasm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I get cold and my left side hurts, I am worried if this is pleurisy, but the doctor said it is a muscle spasm.

Comment from: brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had severe pain between shoulder blades with pleurisy. Chest tightened. I was only able to breathe in short breaths. Arms felt heavy with a tingling sensation in my fingers. Felt like I was having a heart attack. Color of skin was grey. Lips colored blue. Mouth felt dry, no saliva. I am allergic to penicillin, so clarithromycin was prescribed.

Comment from: Sunnygal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I got my flu shot at the end of November, and roughly two weeks later, an interpreter showed up with a very bad cold. That happened right around finals, and I became very sick a couple of days later. I think I got the flu, because it felt like a severe cold. I was sick off and on since then, and I woke up Wednesday morning feeling like everything I breathed was cold, dry air, and I was hugging the walls. I also had a fever off and on, and I had chest pain. I went to the emergency room that evening, and I got admitted to the hospital to rule out heart problems. Due to my age (60), the doctors wanted to make sure I did not have heart problems. My primary care doctor suspected I had pleurisy because my heart tests had been normal. While she was visiting me, I coughed up blood. I was in the hospital for two days. I did not get antibiotics, because she thinks it is a viral infection.

Comment from: TinaHerbs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I woke up this morning around 5.30 am and about 45 minutes later, I suddenly had a sharp stabbing pain on my left chest area. I thought I was having a heart attack as the pain was unreal. I was relieved that it turned out to be pleurisy, rather than a heart attack, but the pain is almost intolerable.

Comment from: MimiAmy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My first symptom of pleurisy was a burning pain in my left shoulder and, at the same time, a severe pain down the left side of my chest. I felt a slight inability to breathe deeply, but not severe. When I finally felt that this might be a heart attack and went to the doctor (after 2 days) I was told that I had a severe case of pneumonia and pleurisy. I was not hospitalized, but treated at home with an antibiotic, the generic for Levaquin, pain medication, liquids and a lot of rest. I am still recovering as I write this.

SLIDESHOW

COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: ssaunders91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I got pleurisy for the first time when I was 21. I'm not a cigarette smoker. At first I got a really sharp pain on my left shoulder and breast bone. I thought I had just pulled a muscle or strained it since I work out regularly. I waited it out a few days and the pain got worse. I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they gave me Dilaudid, the pain was that bad. I think having it once made me more susceptible to getting it again because I'm feeling the same symptoms. Just hard to tell with me because it might be a pulled muscle.

Comment from: juliecaligurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I reached for something got major pain. I asked the doctor for x-ray. She said I have to be flat on my back with heating pad. Two days later I went to the emergency room (ER). I was told I had pleurisy and pneumonia. He explained the pain was the pleurisy. I had to sleep sitting up with pillows all around me. I kept an inhaler around my neck and needed it often. Here's the thing, 4 years later I had a chest x-ray that showed old fracture deformities of the left ribs. I would like to sue the doctor who dismissed my pain for negligence, but, I only just got ER report and it only said pneumonia. I'm waiting for images and 2nd opinion. Broken ribs! I wonder why it didn't show on x-ray, maybe because of the pleurisy, which wasn't on the report. I can't wait to find out which ribs and how many.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have severe pain under the right breast bone. I can't sneeze, cough or talk. I can't sleep on both sides, so painful. I can't climb stairs, I feel my breath stop. I have gone to see a doctor who tells me it is typhoid. But there is no difference after the treatment, I am worried it might be pleurisy.

Comment from: Davey508, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

My doctor has prescribed prednisone for pleurisy. I am into day 8. Pain is now spread to left lung area and is worse. I've had lung cancer and am 18 months post lobectomy. I feel doctor is being dismissive.

Comment from: Danielle, Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I'm 19 years old, I used to get sharp pains in my left breast every now and again but since a few weeks ago they have got worse. I am nearly half afraid to take a deep breath because of the pain. I also sometimes get it in my left shoulder and down my back. I got the sharp pain yesterday and I couldn't take a deep breath as it was hurting and then all of a sudden the pain went through my left and it felt all fuzzy, and then it went. I am not sure what it is as I haven't gone to the doctors yet. I am worried that it could be pleurisy.

Comment from: janeek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have had sudden pains in my back that is making it hard for me to breathe, work or even lie down. I don't know what to do with myself but it sound like pleurisy so I need to go to the doctor before it gets worse. I'm glad I read this page.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I got pleurisy after a flu shot two years in a row, with swelling in the arm that received the inoculation. The pleurisy was on the same side as the injection as well. My doctor said no more flu shots for me.

Comment from: Asdfg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a nasty sore throat and viral infection about two weeks ago. All of a sudden I had a seriously horrible pain under my left shoulder blade that radiated around the side and inflamed the entire left side of my chest. I thought it was muscular and that it would pass. One day after work the pain was so intense that I couldn't catch my breath. I freaked out and went to the hospital. They did an X-ray, CT, and blood work. I was given an IV and had morphine. The drugs dulled the pain. SI was sent home with the diagnosis of pleurisy and a prescription of Vicodin and naproxen. I was told it was the virus I had and that it had settled in my chest.

Comment from: Pang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with pleurisy after more than a week of pain. It was first said I was having spasms in the chest area. After I was not getting better, I ended up doubled over in pain in a store where I was transported by ambulance to the ER. After tests were run I was then diagnosed with pleurisy.

Comment from: Lois, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 07

Yikes! This hurts! I started to hurt across my breast bone, and just a tiny bit to my left. I don't hurt when I breathe in very much, but moving or twisting my neck or back or bending over is terrible. Sitting very still for a while helps, but as soon as I try to get up, wow!

QUESTION

COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the same as adult-onset asthma. See Answer
Comment from: bloody1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a sharp, stabbing pain in the right chest that woke me up.

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I got sick with bronchitis. I developed a sharp pain in my right side with coughing and, sneezing about a month into my cold symptoms. I have now had this constant right-sided pain for 13 days and I went to see my doctor 10 days ago. He diagnosed me with pleurisy and I was given a steroid shot and an antibiotic. I've finished the antibiotic and my symptoms are still just as severe.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW