Pleurisy (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)

How was your pleurisy treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I woke up on Monday morning perfectly ok and then about 10 am. I started to get sharp pains in my back; I knew what it was straight away as I've had pleurisy 3 times already this year. I had a slight chest infection last week but nothing that made me stay off work so I didn't think anything of it but when this pain hit me I knew it was connected. I could hardly move for the next two days as I was in agony, so when I called the doctors again and I spoke to her she said she doesn't know why I've got this as pleurisy does not reoccur.

Comment from: sharp pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I suffered with a sharp stabbing pain when breathing, coughing, bending down or lying down, on the right side of my upper chest for 3 days before I finally went to the ER. After listening to my chest, ECG, running blood tests to rule out a blood clot in my lung, the Dr. diagnosed it as pleurisy. He explained that it was likely viral as I don't have a fever so he prescribed 375 mg of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and Tylenol 3 for the pain. He told me not to go to work for a few days and take it easy. Let's see hopefully I will be able to get some rest tonight. This is the worst chest pain I have ever experienced in my life and I was worried that it might have been a mild heart attack!

Comment from: Kevin weaver, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

When I was in the toilet and at the same time I sneezed, I felt a sharp pain on the left side. I am in really a lot of pain when I cough or laugh. It been like this for 3 days, I am worried if it might be pleurisy.

Comment from: Sutapa mitra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have had pneumonia 2 times previously, now I am suffering from cough with acute pain in my right side shoulder to foot. Mainly on my right side chest portion. The doctor previously diagnosed that I have costochondritis. Now I am in big confusion about my pain, whether it is from pleurisy or costochondritis.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am in so much pain in my right side chest, through to my back. It was so bad that all the nurses at my work thought I was having a heart attack, or that it was my gallbladder. They called an ambulance and sent me to the emergency room (ER) because I could not move, the pain in my chest and back was crushing. The ER ran every test from A-Z for related life threatening illness, every one of them came back negative and normal. I'm so frustrated, I have intense pain that I cannot do anything, and a diagnosis of esophageal spasm. I am left with prescription for Prilosec and Zantac. Still in so much pain. I can't understand this. I read here that I am not alone, and I might have pleurisy.

Comment from: Sir T, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a male adult who has had severe right side chest pain. I have had many tests done which have shown nothing. The doctor ordered CT pulmonary angiogram, CT scan of the biliary tree, abdomen, hepatitis screening, chest x-ray and liver function test, and all seem to be fine. The pain is excruciating and radiating to the back but more on the area slightly above the rib cage on my right side chest. It's been 2 years now and the pain is on and off!

Comment from: Rae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had bronchitis that took about a month to get over. I started coughing again, so I rested and tried to get over it on my own. I didn't work so I went to urgent care and the doctor said it was pleurisy, and to to rest and take Tylenol. I ended up going to the hospital as I thought I was having a heart attack or a collapsed lung. That doctor said I had pneumonia and pleurisy so he gave me antibiotics.

Comment from: bloody1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

So far, I have gotten two rounds of antibiotics. I saw a critical care doctor who told me that I survived a massive saddle clot!

Comment from: sHELBYGIRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was diagnosed with COPD. I never smoked.

Comment from: Syl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I experienced chest pain all day radiating into my left arm. I went to the E.R. and I was diagnosed with pleurisy after an X-ray, EKG, and blood work. I was given medication for pain.

Comment from: mikepres, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm 22, male. I had pneumonia. I took my meds and I was better in about three days. Last night, I went to work and I was working, my chest was hurting so bad I couldn't breathe or even walk. I thought I was having a heart attack! It worst pain of my life! The doctor said I had fluids and infection in my lungs. Pleurisy is what he called it. He gave me steroids, naproxen, and methylprednisolone. I'm feeling a lot better now!

Comment from: CherokeeRaine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I started to have sharp chest pains one night and woke up every 2 hours. I shrugged it off as heart burn. However it wasn't any better by morning, so I went to the doctor and since I was sick the previous week with what he thought was bronchitis because of the way I described my symptoms, he was it was pleurisy and gave me a steroid shot. It has only been 12 hours, and the pain is still there! Hope it goes away soon!

Comment from: misdiagnosed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had been experiencing chest pain behind my left breast and deep into my chest for two days. After work on the third day the pain became so intense I thought that I was having a heart attack. I went to the local ER and they assured me it was not my heart and attributed it to stress and sent me home with a prescription. The pain continued and a follow up with my physician confirmed that I had pleurisy along with a chronic sinus infection.

Comment from: beccas27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I am a 31 year old female who was just diagnosed with pleurisy. I had to go to the ER. It was the worst pain I ever had, it was in my left upper abdomen near my breast bone. I could barely breathe and when I did, the pain was horrible. I was given Dilaudid in the ER and sent home with a prescription for Vicodin and Naproxen. I still feel bad. I am hoping the pain goes away soon.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

After being asked a series of questions and listening to my shallow breathing, my provider diagnosed the severe pain I was having as pleurisy. She prescribed me a Z-pack antibiotics and 600mg of Motrin after noticing a cloudy area on my right lung. This is seriously the worst pain I have ever had!

Comment from: Junie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

The first attack I had I was told go straight to hospital, which I did. I had X-ray and four blood tests. Two of the blood tests came back abnormal, and from there I was diagnosed with pleurisy. Was told to go home and just take pain killers and that it would go after about a week. It did. But two weeks later it came back. This time I saw a doctor at my local Surgery. Again I was told there was nothing that could be done and prescribed strong pain killers. A month later the pain started again. Each time with the pain I have had fever and fatigue.

Comment from: No1nanny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I just returned from the doctor after having bad pain in the right side of chest. It felt like a knife going through to my back. Coughing was very painfull. I was told that I have pleurisy.

Comment from: alicia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a 32 year old female. My story is so similar to others. I had a sinus and ear infection. I was prescribed antibiotics. A week later I went to bed with a slight back ache and woke up a three in the morning unable to breathe. I took ibuprofen and slept sitting up. The next day my husband drove me to the ER where they did X-rays and found some inflammation which they said was pleurisy. I left with a prescription of Vicodin. I took that for two days and went to see my family doctor. She said I had pneumonia. I have finished the new antibiotics now, but am still in a bit of pain on my right side below the breast and have been coughing up blood. I am getting a little freaked out and hope this goes away soon!

Comment from: Jenpar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I'd had a bad chest cold for about a week and a half. I also had severe, stabbing pains in my right ribcage under by breast. I finally went to the doctor and she gave me an antibiotic. She said the pain in my ribcage may have been a cracked rib. I'd had very violent coughing fits, so this seemed plausible. Unfortunately, the pain got worse to the point I couldn't even stand upright or speak. The pain was so bad. I had to leave work and go the ER at the local VA hospital. They finally told me it was pleurisy and gave me 800 mg of Motrin. It's helped a little bit, but I'm still pretty sore. It hurts to cough, sneeze, poop, blow my nose, take a deep breath, or laugh. It does help to lean over and press on my ribs if I need to cough. This is even worse than when I got my appendix out. At least after they cut me open, they gave me better drugs. They wouldn't give me anything stronger than Motrin for this. I really hope this goes away soon.

Comment from: rhiannon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

About a month ago I got a really bad sinus infection and then developed a horrible chesty cough, which I still have. About a week ago I was having a lot of pain over the right side of my ribs beside/under my breast. I assumed I had pulled a muscle from all the coughing or after playing netball. After 5 days the pain has gotten worse, to the point where I can't cough, laugh or sneeze without nearly screaming in pain. Also I have a lot of shortness of breath plus I've still got the cough. I also am in a lot of pain moving or even just driving my car. Went and saw my doctor this morning and he diagnosed me with pleurisy. He has given me antibiotics, steroids and pain killers. Fingers crossed they work! I find that when I cannot put off coughing any longer, pressing on the part that hurts helps. I'm not sure that it does anything pain wise but it makes it feel like my ribs aren't going to crack open and my lungs fall out of my chest!

Comment from: Suzi_d, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I had surgery and developed pneumonia. I then developed pleurisy. I went to the ER because the pain was so intense that it would bring me to my knees. I was started on a new antibiotic. Due to the pneumonia, if I don't feel better in five days my doctor will admit me to the hospital.

Comment from: gramy dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I went to an urgent care when I could hardly breathe. The pain was really bad. The doctor took an X-ray and told me I had pleurisy. He gave me an antibiotic and prednisone. After about four days I was feeling better so I walked my dogs and vacuumed my house. Well Monday morning there it was back again. My doctor had me get another X-ray and that one also indicated pleurisy, but also liquid in the lining and one of my lungs was slightly loosing air. I got a stronger antibiotic and a medicine pack. After about a week it came back again. This time was worse than the second time. I go for another X-ray tomorrow.

Comment from: laspoone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am 49 yrs old. I'm in decent health for my age except for smoking. The only daily med I take is for hypothyroidism. I had a sinus infection which led to Bronchitis. After about 3 weeks I had this terrible cough. I was getting concerned especially when the pain in the right rib cage began. I am a smoker so I decided I better go have it checked and the pain was becoming more intense. No X-ray. He just listened to my chest and said it was Pleurisy.

Comment from: Janet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was treated for pleurisy and sinus infection. The doctor prescribed and antibiotic and Prednizone which worked just fine.

Comment from: jacksprat, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

On a routine visit to my doctor, I mentioned that I thought I was developing a case of pleurisy. I have had it several times before, so I knew the symptoms. I wanted an early treatment before it became really painful. He admonished me, saying that it was just because of my age, 74, and doing too much yard work causing sore muscles. Today, 2 days later, his nurse called me and told me to go get blood work done at the hospital as he had scheduled me for an MRI in 2 days. Kind of raises one's eyebrow doesn't it? I will get my diagnosis the day after tomorrow.

Comment from: jaMe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Many of the comments sound so familiar. I began to feel pain Monday evening behind my upper right rib cage. Tuesday morning, I could hardly get up out of bed. Slowly I went to work, but the pain progressed throughout the day. I couldn't drive very easily either when I had to turn with my right arm. I didn't want to be overreacting, but made an early morning appointment to see my doctor the next day. The doctor said she thought it was pleurisy, and sent me for X-Ray to rule out fluid in my lungs. Basically X-ray looked normal, so I've been taking the meds for 3 days and I feel slightly better. Nights are the worse, and heat helps, but coughing up sputum, or sneezing is still painful, so I press against my ribs when I do so. I'm researching myself to see how to best care for myself during the process to wait for pain to completely subside. Laying on the right side where pain is does help to sleep. I hope I never get this again, but worried that many people have had it multiple times. Seriously, this pain scared me and was worse than going into labor.

Comment from: Maia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

My pleurosis was not treated. I had a CT scan Friday and there it was found out that I have a slight pleurosis. However, my breathing was so bad that even oxygen did not help. I asked for an inhaler and that makes breathing better. I could not breathe and did not know that my back pain up to the neck, headaches, sneezing with green phlegm some time before the CT scan, coughing is not getting better and at times I cough so bad that I cannot get enough air into me.

Comment from: Lil Munke, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

For my pleurosy I was given 500mg of Naproxen and told to follow up with my doctor in 1-2 days.

Comment from: Debra McD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was given a shot at the dr.'s office for pain and anti inflammatory action. Then I was given a steroid pack that was supposed to help over the long haul. I also had a c-t scan since I have a-flutter and it was not, at that time, regulated. Everything seemed to be fine, but now, two months later, I have the serious pain in my chest from my shoulder blade through to under my right breast along with intense pain in my right shoulder. Now when I call to make an appointment with the doctor he says to go to the er. I didn't because I don't want to have to stay all weekend. I'll go in the morning though if my pain is worse.

REFERENCE:

Boka, K, MD. "Pleural Effusion." Medscape. Updated: Jul 21, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/299959-overview>