Viewer Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

COPD: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment):

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

...
Comment from: senora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I fell a few weeks ago and started to have pain in my right flank a few days later. I thought I had cracked or broken a rib, so I went to my doctor. After 2 more weeks of guesswork, 2 CT scans covering my entire torso, blood and urine tests, and 2 trips to the emergency room, the doctors said that, by process of elimination, they were going to treat me for pleurisy. I have just started treatment, so I guess I will know in a few days if the diagnosis is correct or not. Very painful and very frustrating for the past month.

Comment from: DGreen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

After a two month trip in the Caribbean I came home with back pain after a respiratory infection while on vacation. I thought I had pulled a muscle in my back from coughing so hard. Then the pain started to spread from my back to my ribs, it circled me. My doctor did x-rays and found a fungal infection in my lungs and diagnosed my pain as pleurisy. It's been the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I am 6 weeks into this and afraid the pain will never go away. Night time is the hardest, I've never had a problem sleeping but now I dread lying down. Lying in bed is painful, it's hard to breath. I wonder if this is insomnia caused by pleurisy! Have patience is my best advice, and rest as hard as it is to be still and rest, you have to let your body heal.

Comment from: pammk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I was having very sharp pains when breathing and went to the doctor yesterday. I was told I had pleurisy. I have been given antibiotics and prednisone for treatment.

Comment from: mel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Over this past year I have had some health issues discovered; ascending aortic aneurysm, blood pressure got higher, had to have an angiogram, and my gallbladder removed. My chest still hurts on the left side of my breast bone. They have done several EKGs, that were fine, and they tell me it is not a symptom of the aneurysm. I am on a lot of medication, and they just want to add more. Cardiologist put me on a Z-Pak and no change. He said could be acid reflux, I had hiatal hernia before and it is not that. One of my friends suggested pleurisy. It makes sense and I have all the same symptoms you have described, and it is not getting better. I will be scheduling an appointment with the lung doctor this week.

Comment from: SoTired, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I went to the emergency room for the same symptoms as pleurisy. I did all the tests to be told it was pleurisy and was given medications. I have taken all of them but the pain won't go away. I am constantly coughing, worse than before. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: March 29

First, I had a sore throat, then congestion and coughing. My illness subsided after seven days, but then I had pain and tenderness that started just bellow my right breast bone. Pressing on the area caused pain. It hurt to take deep breaths, cough, and sneeze. It was most painful at night while sleeping on my back. It felt better if I slept on my side. Three days later, it wasn't getting better, so I saw my doctor. I was diagnosed with pleurisy. I was subscribed 600 mg of ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and help with the pain. It's not getting better though.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I am a 30 year old male, smoke a lot (mostly joints) and had similar symptoms and thought it was the flu, then heartburn, indigestion, palpitations and figured I need some TLC and kept on going on with my normal life. It was hell though-anxiety, stress, dizziness I couldn't keep my posture straight and finally after 3 months went to the doc and 1 of my lungs was flat and there was hardcore pleural efficacy. Bottom-line still suffering from it (6 months) and is become part of life now. Even having sex has made me feel inadequate cause of the damn breathing issue's. Please don't take this lightly get medical advice ASAP. On a positive side am taking some homeopathic medicine and feel better in the last week or so Also a vacation to a sunny warm place does wonders!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pleurisy

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Chest X-Ray
Chest X-Ray Chest X-ray is a common procedure ordered to...learn more >>

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Pleurisy - Experience

Please share your experience with pleurisy.