Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)

What was the treatment for your polycythemia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: NursieJo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Emergency phlebotomy of 300 cc followed by 500 cc NS was the treatment for my polycythemia; and referral to a hematologist in the next day or two.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I’ve had polycythemia diagnosed 3 times now. The last time I had 600 ml of blood drained from me, over 3 weeks. I am starting to show signs of having another flare up as I am itching all over. After reading these articles, I think I am now more aware that it is something my doctor should be monitoring. Thank you for this.

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I used Hempmeds PX oil for my polycythemia and been in remission since.

Comment from: ladyrebel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My doctor sent me to the hospital, and they will draw blood every week for a month and then assess where we are, and if my blood count is down. I have polycythemia and my body is making too many red blood cells. Yesterday, they could not draw blood because my count was too low. The blood count had to be over 16, mine was 15.8.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.