Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (Symptoms, Stages, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)

What signs and symptoms do you experience with supranuclear palsy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Daughter-in-law, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My mother-in-law, who has had progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) for a few years, often falls and finds walking difficult now. Her PSP experience began with blurry, double-vision which now makes it difficult for her to read smaller print. Her speech has been affected; she used to be a singer, but can no longer sing, and speaks very quietly.

Comment from: Fuzzy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 25

My father was diagnosed yesterday with progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) and for us this is very new, we do not know the road forward and feel very lost. My father is at the bedridden stage and his mind is telling him that he can still walk and expects us to walk with him. His vision is also blurring up now and we can hardly make out what he is saying when he talks. We feed him liquids with a straw and blend his food to make it easy for him to swallow. He is also losing a lot of weight and is fragile, and pressure sores are also now attacking his body. I feel so helpless looking at him, but still give him all the love and support.

Comment from: Uraljjb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

My symptoms of supranuclear palsy are problems with eye focus, dry eyes, cannot look up, double vision, and my left eye closes. I have dizziness and excess saliva, no drooling yet. I have bradykinesia or slow movements, balance issues and earlier uncontrolled falls, now I walk with cane. I have swallowing problems and voice volume is low. I also have cramping, especially in hands and legs, cannot multitask, have fatigue and kidney issues. I have had 2 heart stents. I feel lucky that falling backward has stopped and I can still reason.

Comment from: CAREGIVER, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 16

I just developed progressive supranuclear palsy and I have eye problems where I cannot keep my eyes open.

Comment from: Bfm, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) and I cannot sleep.

REFERENCE:

Nelson, S. "Hummingbird sign in PSP." June 24, 2013.
<https://www.aan.com/residents-and-fellows/e-pearl-of-the-week/June-24-2013/>

Kato, N. et al. "Study of the rostral midbrain atrophy in progressive supranuclear palsy." J Neurol Sci. 2003;210:57–60.
<http://www.jneurosci.org/content/by/year>