Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (Symptoms, Stages, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)

Please share what lifestyle, safety, diet, and exercise tips that have been helpful in managing symptoms of the disease and maintaining your quality of life. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Daughter-in-law, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My mother-in-law has had progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) for a few years. We were glad to find Chattervox, which amplifies speech. Most people could not hear my mother-in-law when she spoke anymore. Now she wears the device around her waist and has a microphone near her mouth to pick up her speech. That has really helped her, because she is a social person who likes to talk. Now people can still hear what she has to say and hopefully, the nursing care staff can hear her better when she calls to them, wanting them to do something for her.

Comment from: Mrs Ali, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 27

My mum was diagnosed with progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) early February 2018. From 2015 she was falling and was complaining about her eyes being dry, couldn't move faster, and we have been going to the general physician since the past 12 years, but they didn't know what was wrong with her. She was always told it was old age and that was why she was falling. But it is sad now that there is no cure so we are just managing now. It is a bit hard for my dad to look after her but we are doing it.

REFERENCE:

Nelson, S. "Hummingbird sign in PSP." June 24, 2013.
<https://www.aan.com/residents-and-fellows/e-pearl-of-the-week/June-24-2013/>

Kato, N. et al. "Study of the rostral midbrain atrophy in progressive supranuclear palsy." J Neurol Sci. 2003;210:57–60.
<http://www.jneurosci.org/content/by/year>