Doctor's Notes on Prolapsed Uterus
Prolapsed uterus symptoms are due to the displacement of the uterus from its normal position in the body. Individuals with a prolapsed uterus may have signs and symptoms listed below:
- pressure or feeling a mass in the pelvis,
- feeling that something’s coming out of the vagina,
- cervix can be felt near the vaginal opening or protruding from the vagina,
- painful intercourse,
- difficulty with urination,
- difficulty with bowel movements,
- low back pain, and
- difficulty walking
The cause of a prolapsed uterus is related to weakening of the muscles and ligaments that hold the organ in place. Conditions that cause a prolapsed uterus are usually related to conditions that injure the supporting muscles and ligaments and are as follows:
- childbirth ,
- chronic coughing,
- surgery in the pelvic area,
- weightlifting (increased intra-abdominal pressure) , and
- pelvic tumors.
Prolapsed Uterus Causes
The following conditions can cause a prolapsed uterus:
- Childbirth injury to the ligaments and muscles that support the walls of the bagina.
- Weakening and loss of tissue tone after menopause with loss of natural estrogen production by the ovaries/
- Conditions leading to increased pressure in the abdomen such as chronic cough (with bronchitis and asthma), straining (with constipation), pelvic tumors (rare), or an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen
- Being overweight or obese resulting in additional strain on pelvic muscles
- Radical surgery in the pelvic area leading to loss of external support
Other risk factors
- Heavy weight lifting resulting in increased intra-abdominal pressure due to straining.
- Racial factors (Caucasian and Asians are more commonly affected than African American people).
Endometriosis is the growth of tissue that is normally found in the lining of the uterus (endometrium) in a location outside of the uterine cavity. It can occur on the ovaries, surface of the uterus, on the intestine, or on or in other organs. With the changing hormone levels during the menstrual cycle, the tissue may grow and break down, leading to pain and eventual scar formation. Over 5.5 million American women have symptoms of endometriosis.
Yeast Infection : Symptoms & Treatment QuizQuestion
Vaginal yeast infections are caused by bacteria.See Answer
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.