Prolapsed Uterus

Have you had any problems due to your prolapsed uterus? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jonesy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I did not know I had a prolapse until I had a Pap smear and the doctor said I had a mild prolapse that did not need attention. I did though seek advice from a specialist and she told me just to do 100 pelvic floor exercises per day. This did not help and my prolapse worsened, within a month I could feel it. I requested an operation to fix it as I am an active healthy person; playing tennis and riding a bike. Within a day of the operation my buttocks were very sore and I have been told not to do anything for a few weeks. So please have a care as I have been told about a lady having 3 operations in 18 months. You must look after yourself. I will write again in a few weeks.

Comment from: Lizzy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Approximately 10 years ago I had corrective surgery for a prolapsed uterus. Since then I have suffered severe incontinence. Doctors keep insisting that it is due to childbirth but my children were all in their late 30s to early 40s (now all in mid-40s) when the problem first occurred and it seems a large coincidence that the incontinence didn't start until after the prolapse surgery. I have been prescribed two different kinds of medication to reduce the incontinence, both of which caused side effects so they had to be discontinued. I have been doing pelvic floor exercises for years and they haven't helped. I have no other health problems but consultants will not offer surgery. I know a woman who had the same problem as myself, she had surgery 5 years ago and has had no problems since. She is approximately the same age as myself and now has her life back but I am still having to live with this problem.

Comment from: Jonesy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Just an update, 3 weeks since my operation for prolapsed uterus. I saw my doctor last week and she said I was progressing very well. I have to see her again in 3 weeks when she will examine me again. The soreness in my buttocks has disappeared and I am feeling great. My doctor says I should resume normal life after 6 weeks from surgery, but I am going to take it easy for 8 weeks as a friend told me her sister has had 3 operations in 18 months. The worst thing about this problem is that I have to resume 100 pelvic floor exercises a day. Maybe forever! Ugh.

Comment from: JessicaKY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am only 24 and do not know why I am having this problem. From what I researched, this kind of thing is result of menopause or having kids. Nothing traumatic has happened to me to cause the uterus to move anywhere. Honestly, I have only had sex maybe three times before this started and have not had much since. I cannot think of why this would happen to me. Now the docs are talking about they have to remove my entire uterus in my case! It's not fair.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am really tired of this problem. Need some advice. I am 38 I can walk and it falls out.

Comment from: Mys Terry ., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I was diagnosed that I had prolapse uteres, the emergency roo sent me to Urgent. Care. There the doctor examined me, found fibrods when taking ultrasound. Doctor assisted me in wearing a ring that was inserted to hold my uterus. I returned the following day to emergency to find out that the ring wasnot adjusting to me. I lost 6 pints of blood and was hospitalized one day.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I have had prolapsed uterus for several years. I have no problems or symptoms that I know of. I hope it is not tearing things loose internally and I don't have everything above come tumbling down.

Comment from: Viv, 55-64 Female Published: May 31

I am 58 years old and have had a prolapsed uterus since giving birth to my third child and the doctor made me push when I was not having a pain. I was already at a 10. I could feel something tear. After that, I would feel like I had a tampon left in my vagina. When I was 6 months pregnant with my fourth child, I notice the bulge coming from my vagina. I started jumping on a mini trampoline a few months ago and it seems to be giving me trouble since. I have noticed some bleeding after I jumped. It doesn't hurt and never has.

Comment from: Stefani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 33 and just gave birth to my 2nd child 7 weeks ago. I wrote this letter to my girl friends one week after my delivery. I just now updated it with the information about the Ben Wa Balls. I really hope this helps some women out there. There is no need for surgery in most cases! It can be corrected over time by using the balls and being hyper aware of taking little steps and not carrying heaving things. There are certain conditions as a woman which every girl learns about in sex ed class. For example how to feel for breast cancer the importance of a yearly pap smear and other general information on understanding our bodies and how to stay healthy. So as an educated woman I dismissed the concern my house maid had over my womb dropping. She kept telling me that in Indonesia after childbirth the women immediately massage their womb back up and then wrap their stomachs in a tight girdle type fabric that sustains the womb to keep it high for 7 weeks. Although I get massaged and also have the girdle my understanding was that this tradition was to help a woman regain her figure and shrink the skin back to the pre-pregnancy condition. My husband and I went out to eat a few days ago. To my shock when I sat back into our low car I felt a surge of pressure in my vagina. I immediately got concerned and started researching conditions of the uterus and if they really do fall out. To my total horror I found that 60% of American woman have a drooping uterus after delivering multiple children. Not just that, I saw pictures of the uterus hanging completely out of the vagina. Well, I was so angry after finding this out because NO ONE ever talks about it! My mom never told me. My sisters never told me. My friends and mentors never told me. Last and worst, my doctor never told me! During my research on a prolapsed uterus, I learned that the vagina is a muscle. I actually thought it was an organ. But as a muscle it supports all of the lower internal organs such as the uterus, bladder, and rectum. If this muscle weakens then the weight of the other organs cause it to collapse and they start to fall into the vagina (there is nothing inherently wrong with the organs themselves). Kegel exercises help to maintain a strong vagina. Doing kegel exercises all day for a few days I could really feel the difference in the strength of my vagina. But for lasting strength and vaginal health a woman should do them regularly with continued daily focus for 12 weeks and then she can maintain that strength with less kegels than initially required to build the muscle. There is also a tool that greatly helped me raise my cervix and womb back to normal. They are called Ben Wa Balls. Mine are purple with a silicone casing that holds two balls. I wear them all day now. My vagina was sore at first, but all my organs moved up significantly within the first week of using them. They also make it easy to remember to hold your vagina muscles tight. I'm breathing a heavy sigh of relief now that everything is back in place.

Comment from: nyprjap, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I've been diagnosed with a prolapsed uterus. I noticed a bulge in my vagina when checking my IUD. I went to gynecologist after having problems urinating. I had to push it out. I do feel cramps almost daily. My doctor suggested the ring as contraception or surgery in the far future. I have no pain during sex, just an urge to urinate but then I have to sit and wait and push.

Comment from: Jerusabeth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am twenty years old and I have had a prolapsed uterus since I was fourteen. It never affected my sex life. My cervix falls out about half an inch of the vaginal opening if I sit on the toilet for long periods of time during my menstrual cycles, and it hurts if I try to push it in while sitting. It goes back to place when I stand. I never thought it was a problem so I never told or asked anyone. I am now thirty-seven weeks pregnant and when I first saw my OB/GYN she was shocked by how low it was. She told me I will need surgery later in life, but it will not affect my pregnancy or labor.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I'm 33, and I've never had kids. I had uterine fibroids which were checked annually through sonogram and ultrasound. My ob/gyn never warned me about things progressing to a prolapsed uterus, and only said, "They're benign, not cancerous. We'll just keep an eye on them." Well, I had the low back pain, recurring UTI symptoms without any bacteria to blame, bleeding after sex, and painful sex. I had my hysterectomy about 4 weeks ago and it was the best decision EVER. Recovery is slow but steady.

Comment from: BetsyBoop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

Due to my prolapsed uterus, I cannot have sex with my husband because it is too painful. I have nagging lower back pain anytime I stand longer than 5 or 10 minutes. I also have frequent and urgent urinary symptoms and constipation with pain upon moving my bowels. I have frequent UTIs and sometimes have to push the urine out forcefully. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy next week and hope this makes things better.

Comment from: Evergreen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have had repeated kidney infections for most of this year and previously and tests showed it was probably due to the bacteria klebsiella. It never responded to treatment well. A few months ago I noticed a strange lump in the vagina which proved to be a prolapsed uterus. My GP said it was probably a contributory cause to the repeated infections.

Comment from: ebeth77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have only given birth to my 2 children, but have a prolapsed uterus. I am 33 years old, my children are 9 and 4. It is not painful, thankfully at this point, but annoying. My sex life is normal. I have been married for 11 years, but my prolapse got a lot worse since I have had bronchitis, so much coughing! So, now I am worried. I really have to keep pushing it back in, and I can feel it every time I cough. God help me.

• Prolapsed Uterus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your prolapsed uterus?

Post View 6 Comments

Medically reviewed by Steven Nelson, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology

REFERENCE:

MedscapeReference.com. Uterine prolapse in Emergency Medicine.