Prolapsed Uterus

What were the symptoms of your prolapsed uterus? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dpb53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I do not have any children. I love to garden and work on my small farm. I have always lifted whatever I wanted. I am overweight. My uterus has prolapsed. One morning while having a bowel movement I noticed a bulge out of my vagina. Shocked I pushed it back in. I went to my gynecologist the next day and was told it was my uterus and not to lift more than a carton of milk for 3 months and it would get better. Upon researching I switched doctors and was told it was stage 3 (hanging out a little) and it would not repair itself. I had the choice of hysterectomy or a pessary. I have been wearing the pessary for 6 months with good results. I had trouble removing it (it is a ring with membrane) so doc told me to add a string to it and I now remove it a couple times a week for cleaning. I can't even feel it any more. Give it a try and avoid surgery. I am 53 and otherwise in excellent health.

Comment from: Linda, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed uterus 3 years ago by my gynecologist. At that time, it felt like something was inside me, which led me to go to her. Since then, I noticed that my uterus has dropped and is at the tip of my vagina. My gynecologist told me three years ago to let her know if it became bothersome. I wasn't ready for surgery then. Recently, I started having symptoms of a bladder infection and was informed by my primary care doctor I had blood in my urine. I haven't told him about the prolapsed uterus yet but plan to, after my second urine test returns.

Comment from: hbh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have four kids ages 10, 8, 3 and 2. Two weeks ago, I woke up to use the bathroom and couldn't get out of bed. I was in so much pain that I urinated on myself. When I made it to the bathroom to clean myself up that's when i noticed my uterus and cervix were about two inches out of my vagina.

Comment from: bethan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a shelf put in place to hold the uterus up, but it came out after two month. I also had pain passing urine.

Comment from: permmitlaw1, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 27

One day I coughed really hard and bam! There it was! I have had 3 children and am now 80 years old and very active. When I sit it goes back in. As soon as I stand it is in my undies and most uncomfortable. Like a slime ball in my underwear. I could live with it as uncomfortable as it is except it interferes with bowel movements and urinating. My doctor does not recommend the surgery. My thought is fear of other problems with kidneys and colon because of the pressure that stops me from normal elimination of waste. I have used the vaginal creams and exercises to no avail!!!

Comment from: Patsy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 18

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed uterus. The GYN prescribed estrogen tablets to be inserted into the vagina. It helped for a long while but now it has gotten worse and I have had pain in the pelvic area and also lower back on the right side. I am in my 70s and would not like to have a hysterectomy at this stage of my life.

• Prolapsed Uterus - Causes

Have you had any problems due to your prolapsed uterus?

Post View 15 Comments

Medically reviewed by Steven Nelson, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology

REFERENCE:

MedscapeReference.com. Uterine prolapse in Emergency Medicine.