Prostate Infections

What symptoms did you experience with your prostate infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Thirty30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

My prostate infection began as a typical urinary tract infection. I had burning in the urethra and pain in the bladder. The urologist determined that this was from extreme dehydration. They put me on Bactrim for 7 days. It worked for 3 1/2 days and then got worse and moved to my prostate. They then prescribed me Cipro, 500 mg/day for 30 days. It nearly cleared completely up by day 12. I have about 14 days left and will complete the course to avoid a superinfection even though I know this medication is rough on the body.

Comment from: Gupta Ji , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 24 years old and I have UTI (urinary tract infection) and prostate infection. I have been taking medication for the last 13 days. And now I have unbearable pain in the penis after every 2 to 4 hours for 2 to 2:30 hours. I m a virgin.

Comment from: Matilda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I have been suffering from prostatitis for more than one year. The painful symptoms made me crazy, recurrent symptoms come and go again, but the treatment would always be different antibiotics, which relieve the symptoms but it comes back again. I have searched for several treatments, and tried diuretic and anti-inflammatory medicines which can control my symptoms well.

Comment from: rambo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had three biopsies because my PSA was really high. My PSA went from a 10 to a 19 in three months. I ask for a biopsy to make sure no cancer. No cancer. Doctors are still working to figure out what's going on.

Comment from: Golfner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I was having short urine flows for 3-4 days. I knew something was wrong. One morning I was taking a bowel movement when all of a sudden, the pain was unbearable. I went straight to the doctor's office and explained my symptoms. He did a finger check and I about went through the roof when he touched my prostate. He put me on doxycycline for 10 days.

Comment from: Jasper, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

For over a month I struggled to hold my urine. Where I usually could hold for 1-2 hours, it became more like 5-10 minutes after the usual warning. There was no pain or rash or any other symptoms. When I went to the doctor he advised me that I had a prostate infection and to have more sex or masturbate more.

Comment from: hope, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

My symptoms were pain in the penis with a little burning sensation when I urinated. When I urinated, it felt as if I had a little more urine left in my urethra when I finished. So I walked around feeling like I had urine left in my urethra. I went to the urologist, he pushed on my prostate. He prescribed me ciprofloxacin 500 mg for prostatitis. It seems to be working after taking only two doses.

Comment from: Kory, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I had a fever without flu symptoms, bouncing from 100 to 103. I had pain in my stomach above the belt line, and pain at night above my hips and lower back while trying to sleep at night. I had frequent urination, and the feeling that I still need to go even afterward. I had the fever for eight days before getting checked out. I should have done it sooner. I'm on Cipro, and life is returning to normal.

Comment from: jamison mcgee, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had pus and mucous in my stool and urine and spots of blood in my stool. It was very painful to urinate and defecate. I had lower back pain constantly and soft erections. It sucked bad.

Comment from: fish, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I had pain in my hips and extreme hot and cold flashes and problems urinating.

Comment from: Bama, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

The reason I went to get checked out was that I was unable to keep an erection when attempting to have sex with my girlfriend. Nothing is more embarrassing than losing it at the wrong moment. I was blown away when the doc said it was a prostate infection. He prescribed me Cipro 500mg for 30 days. Y'all go see the doc if you have anything like I described. It was well worth it!

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I've had very bloody ejaculate and a tender groin. I'm now on Cipro 500 mg, twice daily for ten days.

Comment from: Edward, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I started experiencing pain and unnecessary urination. The prostate would swell up block both functions for days. The pain got so bad that bed was the only relief giving me time to go over my routines during the daytime. I realized that I was consuming 6-packs of diet soda and gaining weight fast. I read up on diet sodas and checked out aspartame. I stopped the sodas immediately and things got better. One day I drank a regular soda and the problem came back. I now know that sodas are one of the reasons and they have been removed from my fluid intakes. Water and tea is where it's at.

Comment from: GDBeamer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had episodes of pain similar to hemorrhoid pain but associated with attempting to urinate. Over 2-3 months, the pain became more intense as attempts to urinate became more and more difficult. My sign of "it's time to go to the doctor" was when the pain would appear without the need to urinate and was a solid 8 on my pain scale. I was given Cipro 500mg twice daily for thirty days. This has worked in the past but I have yet to nail down a cause.

Comment from: Mahoney, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

Three weeks ago I had a biopsy on my prostate gland - prior to which I had no symptoms and had only had a PSA blood test because of my age. Two days after the biopsy I developed a severe urinary infection. To date I have had three types of antibiotics and although there is now no pain - I have to urinate every 10 to 15 minutes and cannot get any sleep which in turn is leaving me exhausted.

Comment from: epicman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

With my prostate infection, I had a very small stream of urine. It also seemed like I had to urinate when I did not, especially at night. I had a low quantity of semen at ejaculation with some pain. I had a very painful prostate exam. I'm taking Cipro.

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

With my prostate infection, I had lower back pain with fever that became worse at night. I also had pain through lower abdomen as well. This infection is very hard to treat and even harder to explain to concerned family members.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: November 29

I have blood in my semen and pain in the groin, and hips. I also have trouble urinating.

Comment from: ProstateKing, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

Symptoms were felt mainly at night. I had burning urination with difficulty starting.

Comment from: Pule, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

It started with fever and dizzy spells. then burning urinating and feel like there is still more to come...none.

Comment from: k, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 17

I had a urinary tract infection about eight weeks ago which cleared up with antibiotics but I continued to feel extremely fatigued. Further tests concluded that there is prostrate infection. I am on Cipro for 30 days.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

With my prostate infection, I had a burning sensation while urinating. Antibiotic medications worked for a while, but my symptoms came right back.

Comment from: Curious, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I got checked out after I discovered blood in my semen. Sure enough, it was prostate cancer.

Comment from: John, Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I had a burning sensation while passing urine. Also while pooping, there is completion feeling. Feels like again I have to poop, but no stool or a tiny piece of stool goes. Fever developed at night.

MedlinePlus.gov. Prostatitis - bacterial acute.

Cai T, Mazzoli S, Meacci F, et al. Epidemiological features and resistance pattern in uropathogens isolated from chronic bacterial prostatitis. J. Microbiol., 49(3):448-454, 2011

MedscapeReference.com. Urinary Tract Infection in Males.