Psoriatic Arthritis

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (PA) about 30 years ago. PA hurt as a teenager. I have been on Enbrel for 10 years and concerned of side effects. I feel good at times but feel tired most times. I wish I could get off it. Weather affects me.

Comment from: Rosi, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 18

We were told by the Veterans Affairs that my husband has psoriatic arthritis on his left knee. The fluid has come back after 3 weeks of the specialist withdrawing 30 cc. I am wondering what else the doctors can do to stop this fluid for coming back.

Comment from: cj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis are new to me. For the past 3 years they have been treating me for rheumatoid arthritis. I have had the all-over joint pain continually for those 3 years and nothing was working! My last treatment for RA was remicade which made my skin break out all over my body. After biopsy and several exams, my hands and feet broke out terribly with psoriasis. Now they tell me I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I never had psoriasis before! I am currently taking methotrexate and humira and have used many topicals on my hands and feet. My skin seems to be clearing up almost fully, but my joint pain continues and has affected my neck and back also. I am so tired of being in pain everyday! I hate steroids! I can’t take nsaids anymore due to stomach pain. I usually try to deal with the pain. Do take hydrocodone on real bad days. Physical therapy has been very helpful on several occasions. Most recently bursitis in my hips and back and neck pain! I’m 40 and feel 80. Really sucks!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am a 17 year old female. I’ve had psoriasis since I was 4. About 8 months ago I started to have pain in my knee; I thought it was just from working and standing all the time, but as it got worse I started to think it was something else. So I went to my doctors and he said I could have PA. I was diagnosed last month. Luckily we caught it early. Right now I’m on plaquenil and it’s working pretty good.

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had an outbreak of psoriatic arthritis after I went on the meat-intensive Scars Dale diet. A rheumatologist prescribed Naproxen for a short time and then Motrin. This relieved the pain and swelling substantially. Then I went to the seashore, ate only fish for a week, and forgot to take the Motrin. All pain vanished. Since then, several decades, I limit beef and turkey servings to 3 or 4 a week and eat plenty of fish. If I pig out on meat, I feel it. I don't know if this would work as well for everyone, but it does for me. No side effects of medicine, and the diet is overall healthier.

Comment from: Renate, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have an extremely itchy scalp with a built-up scales. I wash my hair with a shampoo that contains coal tar, between 2-3 times per week. I’m not sure what else to do.

Comment from: ralph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had tendonitis since teen years. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 10 years ago. A couple of years later was diagnosed with PA. I have had heel pain, gout, nail pitting, spondylosis. One rheumatologist says yes to PA, other says no. I’ve only recently started to have skin issues. It’s currently on palms of my hands. I have already been on Humira, Enbrel, Remicade infusions, and Methotrexate. Stelara is the only option I have left. This is the first site I've been on that put ALL of the pieces together. Don't know how often people post, but this has helped me to know I'm not alone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I am now a 65 year old female. I never showed any signs of psoriasis at all but in my late twenties and not long after giving birth to my second child I developed very painful burning toe joints. My GP sent me to a rheumatologist who after tests diagnosed me with P.A. I was prescribed many different anti-inflammatory drugs. By this time my toes were very badly deformed and my fingers were gradually following suit. Nothing I was prescribed had any effect on preventing the very ugly deformity of hands and feet. At the beginning I was told the only signs of psoriasis was pitting in my nails. A few years ago I developed it on my scalp and in tiny patches on torso and hands. The disease has burnt itself out but now I'm beginning to suffer with osteoarthritis in joints which weren't affected by P.A. Angry...yes I am but not sure who with.

At 57, I have had psoriasis most of my life. Many topicals I’ve used, but no relief until methotrexate perhaps 10 years ago. It worked very well to clear most patches. Seeking a more perfect cure and fear of possible liver damage led me to try Enbrel. This too worked, but did not clear patches on calf of each leg. I tried Remicade and this failed after three moths with major onset of psoriasis like I haven't seen since before the methotrexate years ago. Both legs and body were quickly involved. Along with this attack and for the first time has come the rheumatoid arthritis in both my feet. I am back on methotrexate. I have seen a podiatrist and am heading for a rheumatologist.

QUESTION

What is psoriatic arthritis? See Answer
Comment from: rose110, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had some reactive arthritis even as a child. When the psoriatic arthritis flared in adulthood, it was first misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia. Damage occurred in my neck and lower spine before the correct diagnosis was made.

Comment from: c.d., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I developed psoriasis on the instep of my right foot. Within a few months the pain inside my foot was almost unbearable. I was diagnosed by my dermatologist and I ended up at an orthopedic surgeon who did numerous tests and suggested bone fusion. She could not guarantee me more than a 50% chance this would work. I have injections in this foot with steroids and lidocaine every three months. Sometimes this doesn’t help at all.

Comment from: desi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 25 and have been dealing with psoriasis for 12 years. The last three years I have been developing PA. It seems to get worse every day and greatly increased when my son was born two years ago. I have tried ointment for the psoriasis on my scalp with short- term decrease but I have not taken anything for the pain in my hands and feet. I eat all organic and am not wanting and medicine that will harm my body. I'm going to start a gluten-free diet and stop eating red meat.

Comment from: Ykkebs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I have had a very aggressive onset of psoriatic arthritis. I suffer with pain on my hands and feet both the joints and the skin cracking. It affects my daily life and I struggle to still not be angry with it.

Comment from: chrisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

After having my psoriatic arthritis under control for years, it has now flared up, and there is severe pain across my lower back, above my buttocks. I can hardly move and getting up out of a chair is difficult. All of a sudden instead of being my age of 57, I feel 87. It has come on so suddenly, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: realtor910, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 47 year old female with mild psoriasis. It’s mainly on the elbows and the scalp and occasionally in the waist area. It gets worse in the winter, and clears considerably in the summer. Psoriatic arthritis has been officially diagnosed within the last four months, but I have had symptoms for the last three years with gradual worsening. I have symmetrical polyarthritis affecting both hands, feet, and hips, and I have osteoarthritis in the hands and spine. I will be starting treatment tomorrow, hoping this will help as I do not want to have to take meds forever. I also take medications for pain.

Comment from: frwalsh, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 57 year old male have psa and I also had a liver transplant years ago. The immunosuppressant prograf helped with the psoriasis but not anymore and the arthritis is getting worse (pain in many joint) I been told that I should stay away from NSAIDS because they are bad for my liver. I really don't know what to do except take some kind of opiod. At this point I don't care if I get addicted!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Currently 42 years old; monthly Remicade infusions and weekly subcutaneous methotrexate injections to control joint pain and swelling in hands/writsts, ankles, lower back, and a shoulder. Psoriasis came first and was always fairly mild (usually not visible to the rest of the world). Also autoimmune hypothyroid. Ten years ago developed a frozen shoulder treated surgically. Took years of physical therapy to deal with scarring. After birth of son six years ago acceleration of aches and pains began; allergic to Celebrex (sulfas) and now GI intolerant to NSAIDS, so therapy has accelerated as well. Tendon swelling in ankles, hands can be biggest problem, and is fairly well controlled at present. Hate prednisone when required. Glad MTX now available for sub-Q without compounding; wish NSAID development could keep up on GI front.

SLIDESHOW