Psoriatic Arthritis

What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Daybyday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was only about 6 years old when I started experiencing severe pain in my toes/right foot. I gradually developed a severe limp and very deformed toes by the time I was 12. I was negative for rheumatoid arthritis so I was undiagnosed until I started to develop psoriasis symptoms in my teenage years. I had surgery on the bones and tendons in my right foot at age 16 to try and alleviate some of the severe pain. I was only officially diagnosed with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis by a rheumatologist at the age of 18. I took anti-inflammatory drugs and had steroid injections until age 27 when I had a major flare-up. I then started methotrexate and sulphasalazine and have been taking these since. I’m now 39 years old and pretty much have arthritis everywhere, both feet, both hands, shoulders and now my spine. I worry about my future and my ability to function, I am no longer working and struggle with severe lethargy and stiffness every day. I have recently had a flare up of unusual skin rashes and lumps on my skin. I am starting to get concerned about the possibility of cutaneous lymphoma. I’m booked in to see a dermatologist. I hate that this has happened to me and that it has stopped me from living the life I wanted to live. I had to stop playing sport as a kid because of the pain, I couldn’t have the career I wanted as I was physically unable to do it. I am struggling with depression at the moment. I’m not even 40 years old yet and I feel like I’m in my 80s. Every day is a struggle and I can’t work or keep up with my kids. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. It’s a horrible disease.

QUESTION