Puncture Wound

What was the cause of your puncture wound? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shane, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I was fishing today and stabbed my pointer finger deep with a knife trying to cut the tape. It hurt but not bad and now it’s 5 hours later and I can barely move my finger, no swelling or discoloring. It hurts really bad when I bump it or try to wiggle it.

Comment from: Amiga, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

A screwdriver slipped and pierced the area between my thumb and pointing finger. The puncture wound continues to bleed after 8 hours. My entire hand feels stiff.

Comment from: Lynnie , 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My daughter stabbed a wire through the front of her leg and almost poked out the back of it. I pulled it out and cleaned the puncture wound.

Comment from: Katherine J, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: April 21

What can I do if my friend stepped on a nail, and now it is red and hurting, he has fever, and he will not go to the emergency room! I have soaked his foot in salt/warm water. We put some cream on it. But it's going to get worse before it gets better. Wondering what I can do to bring the infection down. I can't do anything so I got some animal clavacillin. I guess it can work on humans as well. It's an antibiotic.

Comment from: Ronald, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

It is six weeks after back surgery and my pain is as bad or worse. I had lumbar laminectomy in 2014, discectomy in 2016, laminectomy and revision of L4-L5-S1 in 2020. I have come to find out 30 percent of lower back pain is from the sacroiliac (SI) joint, which few surgeons look into, and are not knowledgeable about SI joint minimally invasive fusion methods, since they're operating in the lumbar region. It explains why so many back surgeries are a failure.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

A clean nail was the cause of my puncture wound.

Comment from: Brad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

Nail shot through my right index finger, hit the bone and made a puncture wound. It's been 24 hours, the swelling and the pain have got worse.

Comment from: Anna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

A sewing needle stabbed my knee and caused my puncture wound. While it was in my knee I extended my leg a little to get a better view of what happened. There was no blood after taking it out, but now it hurts when I walk.

Comment from: King5280, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I palmed my wall and hit a nail. It went pretty deep and caused a puncture wound. I never went to the emergency room (ER). Now it's a huge bump. Wondering if I should pop it or go to the ER.

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

The blade of a pair of scissors went through my hand between the thumb and index finger and caused a puncture wound.

Comment from: Yeeter69, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 19

I stepped on a nail and got a puncture wound and now my knee hurts.

Comment from: Kery, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I stabbed my finger, I think I hit the bone, and the pain went right to my elbow. It's a small cut with a lot of pain. I cleaned the puncture wound with antiseptic wipes and covered it. Wondering what I should do now; leave it or have it seen to.

Comment from: Glo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I accidentally stabbed my pointer finger with a barbecue stick and got a puncture wound. Now it is swollen and painful, I don’t know what to do.

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: JP Sylvester, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

Meat thermometer went through my index finger and caused my puncture wound.

Comment from: Danielle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was trying to get a screw out with a very sharp knife. The knife slipped, went through my middle finger nail almost all the way through and made a puncture wound. I am worried I will die or lose my hand or fingers.

Comment from: Kennasmom , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My hand hit a rusty nail while trying to drill a hole to put wire down the wall, and the roof’s pitch kept hitting my hand causing a puncture wound. Now my hand is red, swollen and tight. The feeling of tightness is going to my forearm. Don’t like the doctor.

Comment from: Bigoof, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I was trying to open a package that had zip ties, using a knife and my hand slipped and I stabbed my left thumb just above the knuckle joint and made a puncture wound. It hurts pretty bad however, I'm convinced I might have hit bone.

Comment from: Kyle, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I was busy with a small hand drill, drilling into a thin piece of wood. I had a 2 mm drill bit in the drill, the drill bit just started and then it slipped off the thin piece of wood, stabbing my index finger right at the bottom (palm side). The puncture wound was fine at first, but after I showered, it started to really swell up and feel stiff. I am not really sure if I must go have it seen to or if there might even be a small piece of wood stuck in my finger.

Comment from: KRose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was trying to dig a peach pit out of a peach when my knife slipped and stabbed me in the middle of my left hand causing a puncture wound. It didn't go all the way through but about half an inch to a little more.

Comment from: pookie, 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 26

I fell over my shoes on the living room floor and stabbed my fingernail in my other arm. The puncture wound is inflamed and red.

Comment from: Bob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I stepped on nail 13 days ago, which caused a puncture wound. They are telling me I have to have a surgery, wondering if there is a way around this.

Comment from: Rachel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I heard a car rearing its engine in my drive way outside my bedroom window. In the hurry of wanting to know who it was, I jumped full force from the side of my bed to stand up. I had forgotten I'd set my cup of utensils next to the bottom side of my bed. My calligraphy pen went straight through the pinky toe edge of my foot about 2 inches down from the toe and caused a puncture wound. I hastily pulled it out as it was stuck in my foot. It bled profusely. It has swollen, is painful to move the toe and to walk.

Comment from: JdFarmer113, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I was opening something with a knife, the knife slipped and I stabbed the palm of my left hand up towards index finger at the base of the knuckle. Now anytime I move my finger or attempt to use the finger and put any strain on it, it sends a sharp pain straight through my finger and I want to cry. What could I have done! It was squirting a lot of blood straight out when it happened. I put pressure, superglued and wrapped it. It has been about a day now but hurts so bad. I just can't afford a doctor bill right now.

Comment from: Sonny, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I was at work and stepped on a roofing nail. About a half inch went in and caused a puncture wound. Stayed on it an hour before I put hydrogen peroxide on it. I can’t afford an emergency room visit and don’t remember my last tetanus shot. The pain has definitely increased and I can’t bend my toes well, barely. I have been lying in bed off it for hours, but still have major pain. I have work in 3 hours, and I don’t know what to do.

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
Comment from: Mommasita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I was building a shed and I placed an impact driver on the top of the wall framing. The impact driver fell, and on its way down the screwdriver bit stabbed me on the side of the knee. Twenty-four hours later the puncture wound is a bit swollen, it hurts to walk, and hurts to straighten out my leg.

Comment from: Screwd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

Well, I was putting a screw in a table I was making and the bit slipped and stabbed me between my thumb and index finger and caused a puncture wound. It went in about an inch, give or take. I am wondering if I should go get a shot. It stopped bleeding not long after it happened, but it is now swelling up and kind of hurts. Both thumb and finger are numb.

Comment from: Nan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My hand slipped with scissors and made a puncture wound in my thumb.

Comment from: Dsbses12, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I stepped on a fork and it punctured the right upper side underneath my right foot. It's swollen and red, and hurts to put pressure on it.

Comment from: Nail in foot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Working on my yard I stepped on a board with a nail. It dropped me with the pain. I took my shoe off, no blood, a small hole caused by the puncture wound. I went back to the yard, stopped for water, took shoe back off, and now the pain is incredible. I can’t walk on it. I don’t know why it is hurting to bad.

Comment from: Ang, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I stood on a nail, it went in my toe and caused a puncture wound. Now I have pain in the bones near it.

Comment from: Carly22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was walking barefoot in my yard and the next thing I knew, I felt something sharp poke in my foot. The puncture wound itches badly and I have a bump in the middle of my foot. I'm really scared that I'll need my foot cut off if the itching doesn't stop. I don't know what went in my foot but it must have been some sharp type of plant or grass.

Comment from: Traci , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was cut and stabbed by a small nail a few days ago, and now it's red and swollen and has a small amount of pus in the puncture wound.

Comment from: Jerrybabes, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I got a puncture wound from tuberculosis test, I am a male in late 30s and awaiting TB results. Four days later I went today to the hospital and had no assistance for dressing a smelly wound with pus.

Comment from: AintImRite, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I got a puncture wound in my little toe from a small shard of ceramic tile lying on the bathroom floor. It was very painful, and I had to have stitches.

Comment from: Jud, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I got a puncture wound while I was at work on a rolling scaffold pulling wire. As I was finishing up I kept getting my ear caught on a mason's dry line that was tacked up on the bottom of the ceiling joists to determine a straight line for drilling purposes. Since it was no longer needed up I grabbed the string like I've done a thousand times before and yanked. I was immediately stunned by the feeling I had just been punched in the chest. When I looked down I was horrified to see a 10 cm nail buried to the head in my chest.

Comment from: Derwood, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I slapped my hand down on the side of a counter in the kitchen and my pinky finger hit a nail giving me a puncture wound.

Comment from: Bl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I was making guacamole, and the knife went into the middle of my hand and made a puncture wound, but not deep. My middle and ring finger are still numb 1 day after stiches removed.

Comment from: Sian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Broken glass caused my puncture wound. A long sharp piece has gone about half an inch through the top of my knee under the knee cap and now it is throbbing and hurts to bend.

Comment from: Q, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 01

We were playing a game of darts. One of the other players had thrown a dart as I went to pull mine from the dart board. The dart made a puncture wound into my right wrist. We were playing the game with metal tipped darts. When she had removed the dart from the wrist which was almost all the way in, blood continued to squirt out. Now it's got a big knot and I cannot straighten my fingers nor bend it either way. It is swollen from my finger tips to the wrist. It is radiating pain up my forearm.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

The screwdriver slipped and went into me hand causing a puncture wound. My fingers are really sore.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I stepped on a nail 7 days ago which caused my puncture wound.

Comment from: FionaT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I got pierced in the thumb joint by a piece of rusty fence wire that was thrown up by the strimmer. It got embedded and caused a puncture wound. I pulled it out with difficulty and now my whole hand hurts a lot and I can't close my fingers. I got my tetanus and a bunch of painkillers. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Comment from: april, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I fell on a rusty nail last night, it cut my leg causing a puncture wound, and it was bleeding. It is hurting pretty bad, it is sore and very sensitive to the touch all around it, and the bruising looks infected. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: tAyA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I plopped onto my knees and onto the floor and immediately felt pain from the puncture wound. Almost like stepping on a Lego but it turns out I landed on a thick tack! It sounds dramatic but it most definitely went clean through the front of my leg, right below my knee, and hit my shin bone. My leg is pretty sore now, but other than that it was kind of humorous.

Comment from: Lea white, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was walking my dog in the yard, I had seen trash that needed to be picked up, and we walked over that. Before I realized it a sharp pain came over me, so I looked down and there was a rake going through my shoe. I cleaned the puncture wound with first aid kit but now it is swelling and hurts to walk! I wonder if I should seek help.

Comment from: Con, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I dropped a knife on the top of my front of foot and got a puncture wound. It has a narrow but deep wound and it hurts terribly.

Comment from: Bobo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I was trying to pry something apart and I accidentally slipped, stabbed myself in the arm with a screwdriver, and got a puncture wound.

Comment from: Ss, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

A thorn was the cause of my puncture wound.

Comment from: Maria , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was trying to open a back cover of a watch with pointy small scissors and it slipped and poked my finger and caused a puncture wound. Now when I try to bend my finger it hurts and it's a bit swollen.

Comment from: grace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I was at work, I cook food for samples, and just after tempering a salmon patty, I punctured my thumb with the sharp point drawing blood. Now it hurts and my last tetanus shot was 13 years ago. I wonder if I should go have it again.

Comment from: Brittanysd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was working on drywall in my house and slipped with the drywall knife, it poked my ankle and made a puncture wound. Since then there was barely any blood but for the past 12 hours pain has been radiating up from the foot. It is up to my knee now, and my shin and calf are on fire. The ankle is now swollen but not a lot. I can barely walk from the pain.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I took a knife to cut an onion and I dropped the knife, it fell and punctured the top of my foot by my big toe. I wrapped my wound and about an hour later my big toe was hurting a lot. What I’m trying to figure out is why it is hurting so much that I had to put ice on it. Wonder if I hit a nerve that my toe was affected.

Comment from: Joseph, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I got stabbed in the wrist during work, with cement wire mesh. My hand and forearm are numb and swelled up from the puncture wound.

Comment from: Hanging in there, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I just stepped on a toothpick on Monday and a piece of it was stuck in the heel of my foot causing the puncture wound. I had lots of pain. I went to the emergency room, they took an x-ray and couldn't find the piece of toothpick in the foot. I got a tetanus shot and a couple of pain shots. The doctor made a small incision to make sure nothing was there. I am taking 600 mg ibuprofen. It is very hard to walk on that foot, still painful. I am doing a follow up same week with my primary doctor and may request antibiotics.

Comment from: Angelica G., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

An earring outside my house was the cause of my puncture wound. It went through my shoe. No bleeding, no broken pieces. There is a black dot where it is after the next day (bruise).

Comment from: Alecia, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

My boyfriend was smashing rocks with a sledgehammer and a small piece of the rock hit him in the shin. It did not bleed at first but a minute later he noticed blood was squirting out from the puncture wound profusely about a foot away from him. He applied pressure then cleaned once the bleeding stopped. But now a few hours later it is very sore and is bleeding somewhat heavily.

Comment from: Danigirk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

A thorn from an agave plant went through my elbow while I was doing yard work. Now my elbow is swollen and very painful from the puncture wound.

Comment from: Aemelia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I was sewing and the needle went through the nail bed to the other side. It bled profusely. One quarter of the nail is loose and I have cuts from needle on tip of finger and under as well. I applied peroxide to disinfect the puncture wound, Polysporin and gauze. Very painful, hoping no infection to follow.

Comment from: AT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I stepped on a board with a nail, it went straight in my foot and made a puncture wound. I pulled it out, now I can hardly walk. It hurts and I have a really bad headache.

Comment from: kaykrisch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

A digital meat thermometer the cause of my puncture wound. I was trying to hurry up and clean the kitchen at my job and I picked the thermometer up and had a rag to wipe it off, but accidentally stabbed the inside of my pointer finger and now it is swollen. My finger is a little numb, it also hurts, and I can't bend my finger all the way. It barely bled and it is a tiny little puncture wound.

Comment from: Brain vvh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I got stabbed in the side of the ankle by a nail from a piece of wood that fell. Now my ankle is swollen from the puncture wound and it's hard to walk. I've had a tetanus shot 6 years ago.

Comment from: Sandy, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 11

Walking on grass, I think a sharp bit stabbed my toe and caused the puncture wound. I got something out of it but there is swelling and it is very itchy.

Comment from: Hurt foot , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I stepped on a carpet staple on the ball point of my foot below my toes which caused the puncture wound. My foot isn’t really swollen at all but my toes are stiff and sore and so is the top of my foot by my toes.

Comment from: David, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

Knife hit on the top of my foot in the middle and caused my puncture wound. My symptoms are numbness, swelling, can’t walk on it, and it throbs.

Comment from: gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

Stepping on a rake was the cause of my puncture wound.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

A fork stabbed me in my foot on the side, and it went in deep. I accidently stepped on it after it fell to the ground. Now my foot is swollen and I cannot move my toes.

Comment from: Kenneth James, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I stepped on a very long nail which cause my puncture wound.

Comment from: Sally, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was cleaning up my space in the community garden and there was so much scrap wood there. I have balance issues so have to use a walker. Anyway, I slightly lost my balance and fell onto the scraps. One broke and left a 3 inch nail poking through. It was rusty and went through the outside of my left forearm halfway between elbow and wrist. I just pulled my arm off the nail. It bled, and I’m on warfarin. I applied pressure, rinsed with saline and went to the doctor’s office triage. It is better today, was hot yesterday but today it is only warm. And so far, no bruising. It did swell a lot the first night so when I saw it was still bleeding I drained some more off to relieve the pressure. It is looking good now 48 later.

Comment from: handstab , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I was working on a metal and in an attempt to prevent it from falling, I stabbed my hand on a sharp piece of metal. I cleaned it afterwards but 4 days later it is really hurting. There's a small amount of pus in it and it is very red and possibly getting infected. Not sure if I have to get a tetanus shot or if I will be okay keeping it clean.

Comment from: JessicaB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

On Friday, I picked up a sharp remnant of a ceramic vase and it poked the pad of my right middle index finger. Nothing was left in the wound, but, there is throbbing, excruciating pain. I have applied Neosporin, soaked it in peroxide, but it is swollen and has rendered my hand useless.

Comment from: TreetmeNikely, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was helping my husband put up our trampoline and accidently backed into the drill he had just put down after drilling a hole into some metal conduit. I know for a fact that he has used this drill for at least 100 different uses, so goodness knows what's really on that drill bit. My wound is hot to the touch and my calf where it punctured is red, swollen and painful. Whenever I stand up it hurts much more.

Comment from: Alyssa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was at my boyfriend’s house and stepped on a piece of plastic that had two industrial size staples through it and it went about a half inch into my heel and caused the puncture wound.

Comment from: KerryOn, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My friend stepped on a stick 2 inches long, eighth inch wide and sustained a puncture wound.

Comment from: Animae, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

A nail caused my puncture wound.

Comment from: Issac, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

A nail caused my puncture wound.

Comment from: Marie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 10

My 2 year old had a gate bolt puncture wound on his forehead at daycare.

Comment from: Lenny, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I stepped on a small nail and got a puncture wound.

Comment from: Kristi Johnson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have no idea at all what caused my puncture wound.

Comment from: kennfoote, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

It is midnight and I went out in my yard and stepped on a rusty nail from some construction I was doing today. It went in directly and out immediately. I am a 68-year-old veteran and have care by the VA. I believe I have had all the shots VA gives. So I cleaned my feet well and made my wound bleed as much as possible. It feels a lot better now.

Comment from: Ryan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

After stepping on a nail, I went inside, got it clean and bandaged up. Then I had a wave of heat, dizziness and exhaustion. My vision was blurred and my hearing was poor.

Comment from: Ryan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I was at a friend's house and stepped on a rusty nail. My shots are all up-to-date but i fear that there may be an infection. The bottom of my foot is hard and swollen so only my big toe touches the ground and around the puncture wound is slightly white and a little more swollen then the rest of my foot. Also the skin where the nail directly hit is a white-grey. I've cleaned it and put antibiotic cream on it but I'm still not sure.

Comment from: Raggedy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have multiple puncture wounds from my cat. I felt the cat’s teeth in the knuckle joint of my index finger. It bit through the flesh side of the joint. I felt its teeth hit bone twice. It bled profusely. I got my tetanus shot and had the wounds cleaned. I am on a 10-day antibiotic. I can't feel the top of my finger and it looks crooked.

Comment from: Ouch, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

Stepping onto a rusty nail.

Comment from: Percy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I slightly step on a nail yesterday. It mostly went through the slipper that I was wearing. I got a small puncture and a little blood came out. You can barely see the puncture. The nail was in a piece of board on the ground from a house that is building.

Comment from: Marko3022, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I was stabbed in the knee with a box cutter.

Comment from: poseidon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a very small flathead screwdriver for eyeglasses go into the inner arm about an inch after tripping over the cat. Direct pressure was applied for 10 minutes. The bleeding stopped, but the area is still sore.

Comment from: Joey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

A small metal crochet hook went through the meaty part of my thumb. I was able to easily remove the hook and stop the bleeding. There was very little pain. I washed the wound with soap and water, put on ointment and bandaged it. I am now icing my hand.

Comment from: Mom of 2 boys, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I stepped on a piece of glass in my living room (no clue how it got there). Sat on the sofa and caught the blood in my hands until a relative brought some paper towels. I held some on my foot for a few minutes until the bleeding was almost stopped then hopped into the bathroom to wash it (I used baby soap. Thought it might be gentler than regular soap). After I patted it dry and held a little more pressure on it I applied Neosporin and covered in with a gauze pad, a bandage and a sock. It happened last night, and this afternoon when I looked at it again it still seemed like it would bleed if I messed with it so I just put another gauze pad and bandage on. The glass went in about 3/8 inch deep. Trying to stay off my heel by walking on tip-toe with that foot but its making my ankle ache, as well as the ball of my foot. Hope it starts healing soon. I prefer not to see doctors unless I have to.

Comment from: Broodin, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

While on a deployment in Afghanistan I took a tactical knife to the thigh, punctured 5" deep and severed the femoral artery. In recovery now, took two surgeries and so am still having trouble walking with rehab... Watch them knives boys!

Comment from: Sicc559, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I accidentally got shot in the hand with a pellet gun. It immediately went numb and began to spurt out blood. This was five days ago. Now it's just a bit swollen. It doesn't really hurt, but I get this jolt whenever I move my hand too fast. I think I severed a nerve. I hope this goes away because I need my hand for basketball!

Comment from: Shellie, Published: May 30

I stepped on a nail sticking out of a board hidden in tall grass. I had on cheap, plastic shoes. The nail went it and the wound bled profusely. I can’t get into my doctor until Tuesday? Now, I can’t walk and my entire leg hurts.

Comment from: Catlover, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

Our cat got excited and leapt off my wife’s hand leaving a puncture wound, which had swollen to the size of a golf ball (purplish) within ten minutes.

Comment from: Mimi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was digging a hole while gardening and stepped back onto a hoe rake which went through my sneaker into my foot. It was sticking out of my foot. Was able to get the rake out but did have lots of bleeding and multiple deep punctures in the sole and heel of my foot. I went to the ER. I had a tetanus shot and an X-ray. The doctor said it is extra important to go have an x ray because with a shoe on and object picture through can cause metal fragments to embed into foot or bone fragments to break off. On crutches and glad I went cause the throbbing and pain is crazy!!

I was bitten on forearm by grown parrot at pet shop two deep holes that seem closed already however redness and slightly swollen.

Comment from: 19-24 Male Published: February 02

I fell and had a #2 Phillips-head screwdriver puncture my left hand about an inch under the little finger. It went in at least two inches (from side to center palm). Amazingly there was only a burning sensation for the first 10 minutes. An hour after there is no pain only a little tender when I move my fingers. I think it will be ok, it did not bleed a lot and I have a current tetanus vaccine.

Comment from: concerned wife, 35-44 Male Published: December 27

My husband punctured his hand, palm side at base of thumb with scissors. Bleeding stopped quickly, but he is experiencing nerve pain and a lot of swelling.

Comment from: Deepika, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

Toothbrush. My daughter fell with the toothbrush inside her mouth and it pierced the back of her throat. Maybe a tablespoon or more Blood came out, but stopped soon after.

Comment from: pegleg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

I was accidentally in the way of a dog fight and got bit in the shin.

Comment from: Jwarn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I punctured the underside of the first joint of my index finger with a small screwdriver, and it immediately went completely numb and bled profusely. This occurred two days ago, and the tip of my finger is still very numb, but the really disturbing thing is that anything that comes in contact with the fingertip sends an electrifying jolt though the affected area. I believe I must have severed a nerve, and I also play guitar, banjo, and I really need that finger.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 12

My brother was helping a friend move his hot tub when he stepped on a four-inch nail piercing through his shoe and nearly all the way through his foot. The blood actually spurted out if his foot about five inches a few times but he was able to get it to stop. He goes for a tetanus shot and to see the doctor in the morning.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW