Must Read Articles:
PsoriasisPsoriasis is a common and chronic skin disorder caused by inflammation that affects 1%-2% of people in the U.S. There are several different types of psoriasis. Clinical types of psoriasis include pustular psoriasis, erythrodermic psoriasis, or guttate psoriasis. Psoriasis is typically found on the knees, elbows, lower back, and scalp. Symptoms and signs include red, raised, scaly areas on the skin that may itch or burn. Treatment may involve topical therapy, phototherapy, and medication.
Understanding Psoriasis MedicationsThere are a number of good treatment options to control the skin lesions of psoriasis. Topical agents are practical when treating localized disease. Phototherapy should be considered if the disease covers more than 5%-10% of the total body surface area. Systemic agents should be started only after both topical treatment and phototherapy have been carefully considered.
Psoriatic ArthritisPsoriatic arthritis is a specific autoimmune condition in which a person has both psoriasis and arthritis. Some psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs include scaly red skin on certain areas of the body, nail changes, eye inflammation, iritis, and inflammation of the muscles and tendons where they connect to the bone. There are a variety of psoriatic arthritis types. The goal of psoriatic arthritis treatment medications and lifestyle changes is to control inflammation.
Types of PsoriasisPsoriasis is a chronic disease of the skin that affects approximately 5.5 million people in the United States. Typical characteristics of psoriasis are red, dry, patches of skin and inflammation.
What Is PsoriasisPsoriasis is a skin disease that causes red raised patches of skin covered with silvery thick scales. Environmental factors and injuries may trigger psoriasis flare-ups.
Expert Views and News
- Dietary Changes Help Psoriatic Diseases
- FDA Approves New Psoriasis Drug Cosentyx
- Psoriasis Linked to Diabetes
- Some Psoriasis Therapies May Cut Heart Attack Risk
- Vigorous Exercise Might Protect Against Psoriasis
- Biologic Treatments May Ease Psoriasis
- Experimental Drug May Help Treat Psoriasis
- Psoriasis in Kids Linked to Obesity, Heart Risks
- Vitamin D Treatments Target Psoriasis
- Psoriasis Guidelines Call for Tailored Treatment
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Beer Linked to Psoriasis
- Treating Psoriasis If Enbrel Fails
- Stelara Beats Enbrel in Psoriasis Study
- Psoriasis Leads to Emotional Changes in Brain
- Psoriasis May Raise Cardiovascular Risks
- Psoriasis Linked to Hypertension, Diabetes
- Psoriasis Drug Raptiva Tied to Brain Infection
- Psoriasis Drug May Ease Psoriatic Arthritis
- Psoriasis Ointment Gets FDA Approval
- Psoriasis Ointment Gets FDA Approval
- Fat Hormone Linked to Psoriasis
Pustular Psoriasis Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Ustekinumab is used to treat plaque psoriasis in adults and children who are at least 12 years old. Ustekinumab is also used to treat psoriatic arthritis in...learn more »
Betamethasone is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation...learn more »
Adalimumab reduces the effects of a substance in the body that can cause inflammation...learn more »
Infliximab reduces the effects of a substance in the body that can cause inflammation...learn more »
Tazarotene topical (for use on skin) is a compound similar to vitamin A. It helps the skin to renew itself more quickly and may improve the appearance and te...learn more »
Calcipotriene is a man-made form of vitamin D. It is involved in the growth and development of skin cells...learn more »
Fluorouracil interferes with the growth of skin cells. Fluorouracil works by causing the death of cells which are growing fastest, such as abnormal skin cell...learn more »
Betamethasone is a steroid that prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation...learn more »
Clobetasol is a highly potent steroid that helps reduce inflammation in the body...learn more »
Dexamethasone is a steroid that prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation...learn more »
Prednisolone is a steroid that prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation...learn more »
Cyclosporine weakens your body's immune system, to help keep it from "rejecting" a transplanted organ such as a kidney. Organ rejection happens when the imm...learn more »