Rectal Cancer

What was the treatment for your rectal cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Armit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had stage 2 rectal cancer and had chemotherapy and radiation. I have been cancer free for 1 1/2 years. The worst side effect was that the radiation burned all my nerves there and I have no feeling and now have fecal incontinence. I never thought I would ever have such an awful problem. I have passed motion in my pants in just about every store in our town.

Comment from: jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had diarrhea for several months, off and on, but mentioned it to my primary care physician. He ordered a colonoscopy, which revealed a rectal tumor. I went through one month of chemotherapy and radiation at the same time, then after a month off, had the tumor removed and a temporary ileostomy done. Six weeks later the ileostomy was reversed, and I've been cancer free for 3 years. It hasn't been an easy road, but thankfully it can be done.

Comment from: Lemon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in March 2018. Although I had a clear colonoscopy the gastroenterologist never saw the rectal tumor. It was growing in the other direction and infected a nearby lymph node and also another lymph node in the groin area right side. Now I am in stage 4, going for second round of chemotherapy on 29th via port and was put on six weeks radiation. I lost so far 25 pounds and am miserable with diarrhea, tiredness, nausea, and clumsiness. I feel awful and I hope this is a nightmare. The people at the cancer center are very nice and so are my doctors.

REFERENCE:

Cagir, B. "Rectal Cancer." Medscape.com. Mar. 11, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/281237-overview>.