Viewer Comments: Rectal Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rectal Cancer:

Rectal Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with rectal cancer?

Comment from: Grace, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My mother was diagnosed with colorectal cancer a year ago. She's gone through chemotherapy and radiation. As a result of that she developed enteritis and burning of the colon. She became so backed up that they had to put a stent in her colon. Ever since she has had incontinence to the bladder and the colon. My mother is in constant pain stomach wise and with back pain. She is weak and sleeps on a couch all day long. Doctors gave her oxycodone but we think it made her back pain worse. She went off them and now is facing terrible pain. She took Aleve, Tylenol and those are not even working. She has stage 3 colorectal cancer.

Comment from: Willy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I just found out yesterday after my colonoscopy that I have rectal cancer. I started having bleeding 2 years ago after a very large bowel movement. I mentioned it to my family doctor on my 2 subsequent annual checkups and he said he thought it was just a fissure, and if the blood is on the outside of the stool, it was not of concern. Finally, this year, he referred me to a surgeon and advised endoscopy. At the consult, as soon as I said I had bleeding, he said I needed a colonoscopy; case closed, no discussion. Before the procedure, I described my symptoms, he said it sounded like hemorrhoids, but you always need to have a look. As soon as I woke up, he was there to deliver the bad news. It looks like an MRI, surgery in 6 weeks, who knows what else, and he said it looked like 'a couple of centimeters'. I have to wait till Tuesday to book a follow up appointment for more information. I suspect the MRI is to see how bad things really are. I have had a feeling for the past 6 months that things weren't right. If only I had insisted on follow up 2 years ago. Interestingly, 2 FOBTs (fetal occult blood tests) came back negative. Advocate for yourself! If you have any blood at all insist on a colonoscopy. The test is nothing, you sleep through the whole thing.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had diarrhea on and off for approximately three months after my 48th birthday. I had lots of indigestion for approximately 3 years prior to this. My GP requested I have a colonoscopy. I had a 4cm tumor. I had surgery, 6 sets of chemotherapy and combined chemo and radiation. I have recently cleared all my yearly screenings. I currently still experience frequent stools due to the damage done to my digestive system as a result of the chemo. In February 2011, I experienced severe pain in the region of my heart. My doctor suggested I have an endoscope. The cause of the pain was due to the presence of thrush in my esophagus caused by the chemotherapy. I am very grateful to be alive, I advise people not to ignore any problem with your digestive system and never ever self diagnose as I did thinking I only had diarrhea.

Comment from: nascargmagma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was bleeding for 2 weeks and thought it was hemorrhoids. On April 6 I had a bladder treatment. I gushed blood from rectum. I was 23 hour admit and showed my male nurse. I was told to get ahold of my family doctor when I returned home. I saw the doctor on the 10th, found mass that day. I saw my surgeon on Monday at 1:00 pm. The mass, blockage, etc., were confirmed. Surgery was set for Wednesday, for colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsies under general anesthesia. Doctor came to recovery and told me he was sorry but he was 99 percent sure it was rectal cancer and very fast growing. Since I have had tests and surgeries, now an internal ultra sound upper and lower was done to see what stage it is. Tuesday I see family doctor, Wednesday, we get results of PET scan, and all others. I am deadly afraid.

Comment from: gaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have Parkinson's, and the (med) I take makes me constipated a lot. I have regular scans every 3 years. There is a high rate of bowel cancer in my family, This year It had only been 2 years since my last scan, The only symptoms I had was thin Stools feeling bloated all the time. I told my GP I wanted to go early for a scan , The results were a polyp in my rectum , which had cancer in it, I have had several tests since, my doctor said it was early stages. He is keeping an eye on it, regular screenings. I hope I am doing the right thing.

Comment from: Gtown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I thought it was constipation then I thought it was hemorrhoids, then came the bleeding for three months. I went in for colonoscopy and it revealed 2cm rectal mass. I am waiting for chemo, radiation, and a surgery date

Must Read Articles Related to Rectal Cancer

Colon Cancer
Colon Cancer The human colon is a muscular,...learn more >>
Rectal Bleeding
Rectal Bleeding Rectal bleeding can be mild or seriouis, evern life-threatening. Causes of rectal bleeding include trauma, inflammation of the bowel, hemorrhoids, anal fissures...learn more >>
Rectal Pain
Rectal Pain Rectal pain is a common problem. Some common causes of rectal pain include learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rectal Cancer:

Rectal Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your rectal cancer?