Rectal Prolapse

Have you had rectal prolapse surgery? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Suzie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 71 and had surgery at 67 for prolapsed bowel, had second surgery at 69, still have a lot of pain and discomfort, especially rectal, much worse now than before my first rectal prolapse surgery. I was led to believe my first surgery would “fix everything”. I now have to take Lyrica which I hate, to control the pain. The whole thing has cost me my job and lifestyle. Think very carefully before considering this surgery.

Comment from: Eli, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I had rectal prolapse surgery about 2 weeks ago. With years of pain, constipation and several other complications I finally found out the issue. I went to many doctors who could not find the issue but thankfully one sent me for an MRI defecography which found my issue. My lower intestines were dropping into my rectum as well as the lining in my rectum dropping too. I had surgery performed by a doctor who was amazing. I am recovering and sore but already see a big difference in my bowel movements.

Comment from: The Big Red one, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I really can't believe I'm doing this but for the benefit of others I've decided to. I was born with a congenital birth defect called an imperforate anus in which although my intestinal tract was connected to my bottom there was no hole or sphincter muscle. Doctor performed a colostomy where I had the bag until the age of 2 when I had corrective surgery. That was in 1965 when they drilled me a new one! It was a difficult childhood growing up with a continuously prolapsed anus, but I believe I'm far better off than I would have been with the colostomy bag. Since then I've had approximately 5 surgeries to correct the size of the prolapse. I'm not certain but I have to assume that if you have a sphincter muscle and they do the corrective surgery it would probably stay in, unfortunately for me mine doesn't, that's why I've had so many surgeries. I always feel great after my surgery. It's relatively simple and the pain and recovery time is minimal.

Comment from: Siddhesh , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I had surgery for rectal prolapse. Now I am suffering from hip pain and bowel issues and face many problems. I am only 20 years old. I suggest you don't do this operation.

Comment from: Caryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

Since October 2017, until today July 2018, I have gone through three rectal prolapse surgeries. And now it's back again! I need help.

REFERENCE:

Rodriguez, LA, MD, et al. "Rectal prolapse in children." UpToDate. Current Review: Dec 2018.
<http://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-rectal-prolapse-in-children>

Varma, Madhulika GM, MD, et al. "Overview of rectal procidentia (rectal prolapse)." UptoDate. Last review: Dec 2018.
<http://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-rectal-procidentia-rectal-prolapse>