REM Sleep Behavior Disorder

What was the treatment for your REM sleep behavior disorder? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cateydid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

About 1 1/2 months following a car accident where I was hospitalized for a traumatic brain injury and then transferred to an acute rehabilitation facility for further rehab, I began to find unexplained bruising on my body. Once I was discharged to home, some of my bruising and tender lumps on my scalp prompted my outpatient rehab therapist to send me to the emergency room. I was unable to explain how I got these bruises and lumps. I was watching fireworks one July 4th from my front yard while some neighbors were also setting off fireworks. One of the still glowing embers fell an inch from my face and I screamed and jumped back in fear while frantically brushing my clothes and hair with my hands to ensure none landed on me. I went to sleep soon afterwards and without realizing it, was re-enacting my earlier experience in my dream. But in my dream, an ember landed alongside of my bed and started a fire. I had to stand on my bed to get above the flames and make a huge leap towards my door to save my life. Instead, I awkwardly crashed into my dresser, snapping my knee backward and fracturing my knee. I also took a sharp blow to my head. I had apparently vomited where I lay on the floor, common with head injuries. I awoke the next morning on the floor and was unable to get up and walk to the bathroom. That was the first time that I would soon come to remember my frightening dream and what had caused my injuries. It was discovered during a sleep study that I had REM sleep behavior disorder. I know that episodes can be brought on by the combination of stress and lack of sleep. I now use a Bi-PAP machine when I sleep although my monthly average hours of sleep per night is just over 16 hours according to the machine. I have had a few episodes since, one during a nightmare while hospitalized. They had an alarm on my bed to warn them if I sat up while sleeping. In my dream, the sound of the alarm meant, make a run for your life now. I took off running out of my room, with the IV pole and pump crashing down, other equipment I was hooked up to crashed onto my bed. I do my very best to manage my stress, try not to lose sleep time and pay attention to the mornings I wake up with pillows on the floor, sheets, blankets and comforter on the floor or in a twisted tangled mess; a warning sign to me to take a break from stress and work to relax before sleeping. I now take Klonopin and don't believe I've had any episodes since. Certainly have not injured myself and have no unexplained bruises or injuries.

Comment from: BBecker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been sleepwalking for as long as I can remember, usually precipitated by some sort of pressure or anxiety. It usually occurs about 35 minutes after I go to sleep. (In fact, that's one of the ways I can tell if I'm sleepwalking; I look at the clock.) I'm otherwise healthy, 68 years old, and no medicines. I wonder if I have to worry about Parkinson's disease or dementia.

Comment from: billie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Several times a month I have a weak spell that wakes me up and I feel really bad. I don't act out in any way but just wake up very weak. I had a sleep study done and I was told that I had REM sleep disorder but it does not fit any of the ways I have read about. I don't do any think but it just wakes me up and I am weak and feel really bad.

• REM Sleep Behavior Disorder - Causes

What caused your REM sleep behavior disorder?

Post View 4 Comments

Medically reviewed by Daniel S. Harrop, MD; American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology

REFERENCE:

"Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder"
UpToDate.com