Tick Bite Prevention
- Avoid grassy areas and shrubs where ticks may be lying in wait to tag a ride on a potential "meal."
- Avoid tick season completely by staying away from outdoor areas where ticks thrive, usually during the months of April through September in the U.S.
- Wear light-colored clothing so ticks can be easily seen, and brush them off.
- Tuck pants into boots or socks.
- Apply insect repellant, specifically the brands designed to repel ticks. Follow label instructions. Avoid use of DEET-containing repellents on children. Carefully follow instructions and apply some repellents directly to skin and others to clothing.