Salmonella

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with Salmonella infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mimi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Severe lower back pain and a nonstop pounding headache combined with a very high fever were my symptoms of Salmonella infection.

Comment from: Patspix, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with first with Salmonella typhi. They are double checking the results on the Washington State level. We are waiting to hear the results on that. My attending doctor at the hospital last week, found the results of Salmonella typhi. The county health inspector says I have Salmonella para typhi. All I know is I keep a food diary of what when, and where I eat. According to my diary, and the incubation period, it points to a Chinese restaurant where I ate a beef and broccoli. The owner/cook at that cafe took a recent trip to China and back. I believe that is the culprit. According to our County Health Department there is nothing we can do. So that is my story. I spent five days in the hospital and almost died. First symptoms were; head ache, achy joints, and constipation and low grade fever. At the emergency room that evening, I started diarrhea and didn't stop until the doctor finally diagnosed Salmonella typhi and put me on antibiotics and I got better enough to go home Saturday. We are waiting for the states redoubling tests results and was told they won't tell me the results! So next week we will call the visiting the doctor and hope he can get answers so they can stop this restaurant and carrier before they kill someone! I ate at the suspect restaurant on 2/1/16.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I had an aching feeling set in late one evening. I thought I was getting the flu. Overnight diarrhea set in and progressively got worse and I began to sweat profusely. The next night I was making bathroom trips every 30 minutes or so with severe diarrhea. I had no appetite and I was not very thirsty even though I was still sweating very badly. I still had no fever, but back ache was much worse. I thought I might be passing another kidney stone. The next night I had nausea and very dark urine, so I went to my Doctor and a possible stone was diagnosed. Early the next morning I woke to go to the bathroom and was very dizzy. I managed to sit on the toilet, but woke up on the floor with a red mark on my forehead. My back pain was very strong on the middle left side of my back. After a short nap it felt lower on the left side. I went for a CT scan and they discovered no kidney stones, but a ruptured spleen. I was hospitalized for the spleen, and with every test given to me, nothing was found until a stool culture revealed Salmonella. Three days later, I was re-admitted to the hospital for a perennial abscess that may have also been caused by the Salmonella. Since they could not find any visible signs of trauma. The surgeon concluded that the spleen rupture was caused by my fainting. I have read online that though rare, a spleen fracture could be caused by a case of Salmonella.

Comment from: teacher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had chronic diarrhea. I don't have any vomiting or stomach cramps though, so I just wrote it off as stress. About a week after the diarrhea started, I developed sudden and severe arthritis in the feet and ankles. Apparently, this is an extremely rare side effect of salmonella infection. It took a while for the doctors to figure out what was going on with me, and unfortunately, the arthritis can be very long-lasting.

Comment from: Roadkill Kenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I experienced Salmonella the day before I left Sweden. 18 hours of travel in Europe and over the atlantic made for a wonderful trip. I first experienced a little of nausea and felt somewhat displaced. about 30 miutes later I was experiencing sever Nausea. For the next 2 hours as I traveled back to the hotel Nausea was the norm and I utilized at least 6 bags on my journey. Upon arrival to my hotel I spent the next 18 hours in the bathroom with severe expulsion from both north and south . Additional follow up showed small traces of blood in my Stool. this at least 4 weeks from the event. Appitite still has not returned formally and a lower GI scope is near term to insure nothing else is a problem.

Klochko, A. "Salmonella Infection (Salmonellosis)." July 24, 2017. <https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/228174-overview>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Salmonella infections linked to Kellogg's Honey Smacks cereal." Aug. 12, 2018. <https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/mbandaka-06-18/advice.html>.