Viewer Comments: Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I feel like my body is shutting down, I have tremors so bad. It absolutely kills me to breathe, I used my inhaler a few weeks ago and felt like a billion needles went down into my lungs. I have made two emergency room trips, and they said nothing was wrong. I wonder if it would be possible to have scabies mites for like 3/4 of a year and not recognize it! I'm disabled, so I know my immune system is weakened, and maybe that makes me more susceptible. My granddaughter was sent home from school, in the beginning of the year, she didn't appear to have any issues; but a child sitting near her at school did. I feel like my lungs are inflamed, like a chemical burning agent.

Comment from: texnva2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I caught scabies from the barber, December of 2014. It took 9 months to lose them and I got a haircut and now I have them the second time, so you can get them from the barber, sad to say. You really need to wash your hair real good after a new haircut.

Comment from: queenofalluniverse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My beautiful dog has mange, and I got scabies. I went to a dermatologist and used all the medicine up. I still have scabies. I put sulfa powder on the dog to cure his mange, then on myself. I got almost instant relief for both of us.

Comment from: runner-athlete, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

Approximately 3 to 4 weeks after a sexual "hook up," intense itching began in my groin area. Distinct red spots began appearing on my chest, and the itching at night became intense. I could feel the bugs crawling on my skin, prompting a visit to a dermatologist. The doctor scrapped several skin samples and could not detect the scabies bug. He decided to treat me with permethrin 5% cream. I applied before bed over entire body; the next morning the relief was IMMEDIATE. I moved out of my bedroom for 7 days, not reentering at all. At day 7 all bedding was cleaned, as well as clothing I had worn. Permethrin 5% cream was re-applied 7 days later, although the symptoms were absent. No recurrence of scabies since.

Comment from: rhorn, Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have used the permethrin cream two times -- the last time was a week ago. Some days I am fine with very little itching. Today I'm itching like crazy. It seems to be worse on hotter days.

Comment from: Carlos, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I suffered scabies about a week without even knowing, all I knew is that I came home from swimming and all of a sudden i was real itchy, i thought it was me, so I took a shower but I was still itching and two weeks later I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with scabies and he gave me some cream to put on overnight and wash off in the morning, but there where bumps from my upper body and down and the itching was massive

Comment from: newme, Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Scabies was the most embarrassing and horrible thing I've EVER EXPERIENCED! I was diagnosed with psoriasis a few years before and I itched all the time. Then my boyfriend at the time started getting bumps and getting itchy bad all over his genitals and freaked out. He went to the doctor and he found out it was scabies and he got it from me.

Comment from: karthikeyan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I personally suffered from this scabies for more than a month without even knowing what it is. It puts you in a highly embarrassing situation in front of your friends and colleagues. Then a doctor gave me treatment. I started using Scaboma. It's a lotion that should be applied all over the body before your sleep. I got rid of that notorious, irritating and embarrassing itching disease within one week. Now I am free from scabies. Please do use this lotion. I wanted to pass this information onto others.

Comment from: frustratingly itchy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have them for the second time in a year. I want to know is what causes them where they come from we haven't been anywhere or done anything different. I finally used a tea tree oil nit shampoo ALL over my body and left it on for a bit and my itching overnight has decreased by 99%. You can get this stuff from supermarket.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives are a sudden allergic skin re...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noni...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?