Scabies

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Doctors do not understand or even think about scabies because they've never been diagnosed with it themselves. I know, because I work with doctors. However, 13 years ago when I had strange symptoms on my skin, I was fortunate enough to see a doctor who had gone through it herself. It was a nightmare because of the misinformation out there. They were on my face and head and didn't go away until I covered my whole body with Elemite (permethrin). And all close contacts were treated at the same time as us.

Comment from: Scabies survivor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I used Campho-Phenique and that stuff killed the scabies on contact. I had a rash, and they were eating me alive. My neighbor suffers from cellulitis and she recommended it to me. What a relief!

Comment from: Ham, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 19

I absolutely love this thread... I am fighting scabies right now. My veterinarian says regardless of what you read online, your dog can give you scabies and you can give it scabies. Treat your whole body, scalp, ears, and face as well (I learned the hard way). Neem oil and turmeric paste will stop the Itching. Use the permethrin cream and the oral ivermectin. Wash all bedding in the house including pets every morning. And you will beat this!

Comment from: ldm9801tx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I followed the advice of leaving dandruff shampoo on my skin overnight from these comments and it burned my skin badly. The scabies spread over my skin and left me worse off than when I started.

Comment from: C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I got bitten by some awful mite, and within a week the bites went from one distinct area (elbow) to an awful rash and itch that was just unbearable. I was prescribed permethrin cream, and a cortisone cream - did nothing for the scabies. I ended up in the hospital in tears. After reading this page, I am convinced there is need to change the pH levels of the skin to kill the mite environment. I had apple cider vinegar sprayed all over the body, clover and tea tree spray for itch, 29 day dose ivermectin, and daily baking soda or white vinegar baths hot as possible.

Comment from: Ogbeide, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

Try borax salt and hydrogen peroxide for scabies.

Comment from: Keelo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Please do not use dandruff shampoo for scabies. One person left a comment stating it works however there is no indication anywhere online this is a valid treatment. They didn't mention the actual ingredient they are referring to which tells us they lack knowledge. There are many ingredients in dandruff shampoo, pyrithione zinc being one, which could easily be mistaken for permethrin due to the spelling. Lice shampoo, max of 1 percent permethrin, is an option until you get the prescription for 5 percent permethrin.

Comment from: Diane , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I used Kwellada lotion at USD 90 a bottle, and was told not to use it on my scalp despite the crawling I felt on my head so my scabies never went away. After 3 months of treating myself and family I applied it to my scalp and left it on 12 hours and the itching stopped and crusted scabs cleared up, but it came back until I did this once a week for 6 weeks. My boyfriend denied any itch but I entered his home or he embraced me and it's back. My daughter developed the grey silver lines from burrows, so we split.

Comment from: Selma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

The first time I suffered with scabies, the doctors gave me so much ivermectin and permethrin, that my immune system became compromised. I was only able to get rid of it by taking herbal medicine, and having repeated salt baths at home, and by going to the beach on the weekends and soaking myself in beach water. The 2nd time I caught it, which is recent, I eliminated all sugar, refined sugars and processed foods, and started eating half a garlic bulb. I stopped itching, thank goodness.

Comment from: Lara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

Ugh! Three treatments with permethrin cream, and I have new bumps and crawling feeling from scabies. I caught it from a rescue dog, they call it mange, but it’s transferable to people. Come Monday I need a stronger medicine. I’m going out of my mind washing everything. These mites are so tiny but they are tough getting rid of. I have sprayed furniture and bleached floors. I have to keep my dog for now, she is being treated with ivermectin shots. Her healing should be completed in a month.

SLIDESHOW

Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases See Slideshow
Comment from: graduallyfinallyfree, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I went through itching, crawling, and biting for 5 months. I tried oils and many medicines for scabies. Keep treating it! I didn't get cured at once. Some of my favorites are permethrin 5 percent 3 nights in a row, and dandruff pollution-free shampoo plus gentian violet 2 percent (cheap drugstore). Put on the whole body, sit for 15 minutes, and use a tiny towel to rub the purple off. Salt baths, no meat, yogurt twice a day (not at night), no heat, baking soda rubbed and left on, and apple cider vinegar on. Weird as it sounds, bathing only thrice a week. You'll make it through!

Comment from: Trying, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

One thing that now seems to be the key for me for scabies is to 'clean off’ a layer of skin with Aroeira soap foam. I've been making the foam rubbing well into a tiny towel, and then putting it on the wet body, as a white cream. I go brush my teeth or whatever, and rinse when dry (not white anymore). In a couple of days, dead skin starts peeling itself. A woman told me that's the thing that cured her and baby after years. Thrice a day, cold water, no rubbing, just tap towel to dry after. No meat. No heat.

Comment from: Anonymous , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My advice for scabies, which I am about to try myself as a last resort: take all your clothes, put them in a garbage bag for 2 days before washing them, then wash clothes, blankets and sheets in hot water and dry on hot. Vacuum and spray the carpets and beds with some sort of bedbug killer. I’ve yet to try the oral medicine, so I am going to try that with the lotion, as well as the home made concoctions I see in the comments above, after a hot shower. Other than lighting myself on fire, I can’t think of anything else.

Comment from: Itchy , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I did two nights back to back of Nix scabies cream which helped a lot; easily reduced it by 90 percent. So started spot treating with Nix. I also wash using Dettol, which helped me diagnose scabies from bed bugs, as I could see the webbing, tracks, and rash. I wash clothes with Dettol. I wash and dry bedding every day, spray mattress with pesticide, and vacuum; vacuum floors daily. I had my dog treated and provide him with a spray, and aloe and wheat shampoos for the itchiness. Going to try diatomaceous earth.

Comment from: Anonymous , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I started with my head, then a rash all over my body. I went to the hospital at 3 am one night, and they asked me if I was on drugs, and said that I didn't have bugs. I was so upset; this is going on 2 years now. I have done everything even bought a microscope and put everything I take off my skin on it. Four months later I had luck. I found an actual scabies mite. The doctors think I'm nuts. They say it is because of stress and dry skin. I'm up all night with painful itching. I've used everything; going to try olive oil and clove. Thank you.

Comment from: Jojo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am a mum of a toddler who had the scabies first, and now we all have it. I have bagged up 90 percent of clothes, used Lyclear all over, and darted off to my in-laws’ with clean clothes. Washing everything and drying will take forever. It is best we just leave the house for 72 hours and wash the small stuff we take with us to reduce the stress. Also using clove oil and tea tree in almond carrier oil. I just want this phase over with.

Comment from: Knowledge, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 13

I feel so bad. There are pills though for scabies, ivermectin. You have to take 4 pills in one dose and 4 pills after a week if you are around 124 lb. If you weigh way more than 124 lb., then it is 5 pills first and 5 pills later. Other than this you have to use permethrin cream way more than what they say, almost 3 days apart to get heal, or else your improvement is slower. Then the baths help the itch, then the body mask after bath, every day, for 1 hour or longer, and hot water baths.

Comment from: Danda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I dealt with scabies for 3 years. I read and tried several treatments I found online. I finally had to just experiment myself. I mix one third peppermint oil and two thirds hydrogen peroxide. Put it in small dark colored bottle. Hydrogen peroxide will lose potency if in light. Shake well before each treatment. Just tip bottle over and keep opening on top of sores for at least 15 to 30 seconds. Then move on to the next sore and repeat. You might have to adjust the amount to what you can tolerate.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

Listen to me, this works for scabies. Rub olive oil into your skin everywhere. Even your hair. Let it soak in and really rub it in for at least 20 minutes. This suffocates the mite. Rinse off. Then go ahead and put permethrin or clove oil or Eurax on. Repeat for a couple days and then a week later. Then you will be cured. But clean your clothes, bedding, everything with hot boiling water and the house with disinfectant.

QUESTION

Ringworm is caused by a fungus. See Answer
Comment from: Chris c, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 05

For 6 months I have battled the tyrannical scabies monster. I have been to the hospital 4 times, was given permethrin 5 percent, to no avail. I finally was given ivermectin, and it seemed to work but to no avail. I went through all cleaning steps but they kept reappearing. Out of desperation I tried pure bleach on skin. Ta Da, the cure! The tee tree oil you can get at Walmart from skin health, and it seems to be the correct dosage. I just use it everywhere on my skin except you know where. It works.

Comment from: Sharing4good, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

In conjunction with permethrin (as directed) for scabies, I endured around 53 minutes in an infrared sauna set to 151 degrees at a spa which offers this. I think this helped tremendously. My doctor also gave me a prescription topical for the itching.

Comment from: Jepetto, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My coworker came to work with a rash that I immediately identified as scabies, but when she got checked they told her it wasn't. A month later (and many shared jackets in between) I have it. I've been prescribed ivermectin and the usual cream. I went crazy cleaning the house with steam mop and spray bottle filled with neem oil, tea tree oil and clove oil. Vacuuming, washing all clothes and linens in hot water and borax. The best topical relief besides the essential oil concoction has been Tiger Balm!

Comment from: Chiiqqyy , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I’m not sure where I got in contact with these little scabies mites. I work in a food preparation area so I had to suspend my job for weeks. I tried all your tips and medications, doctor prescribed pills and creams. I tried tea oil, coconut oil, washed the blankets in hand temperature water with ammonia with bleach and Lysol, and in every room I did the bug bombs. In the end Vicks VapoRub gave me relief.

Comment from: Sapphire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

After 2.5 years of suffering from scabies I got this solution. I got bites in my back 3 times, I went to the doctor 3 days later, and was prescribed the usual to no avail. After spending a thousand, my healing and environmental clean-up begun with menthol 16 percent like icy hot gel. Walmart version is cool to heat for half the price. I started cleaning my car and home with Vicks, dollar version which is 2 percent menthol and peppermint oil in hot water. What a difference menthol makes! Just in case phase peppermint oil and tea.

Comment from: Ajram, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had 3 bites from scabies mites, 2 years, thousands of dollars, and lost my job. I use menthol like icy hot gel 16 percent or cool to heat gel 16 percent and cream 10 percent for maintenance. For cleaning home and car, melt Vicks 2 percent menthol in hot water, add several drops of peppermint oil. Spray and vacuum the car, mop the floor, wash the walls, etc. Internal remedy to force them to the surface is peppermint tea. Sound too simple I know but with diligence this works.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have used everything for scabies from tea tree oil, lice shampoo, and prescription ivermectin, 4 tablets then 4 tabs in seven days. I went back to the doctor 80 percent better. He gave me a second round. Also used Nu-Stock sulfur mixed with baby oil. Went to several doctors and they look at you like you're crazy. Finally found a doctor. He knew what I had right off. Get an older doctor to check you.

Comment from: Permethrin Failure, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have been fighting scabies for 3 years. I am able to keep it from becoming insidious with twice daily sulfur soap showers, 0.2 percent eucalyptus oil treatments of clothes, bedding etc. I tried two treatments of permethrin several months ago but it failed. I convinced the doctor to increase the prescription for 8 doses. I am on the 4th and still no luck, I have new bites.

Comment from: bella, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

I tried Castile soap for scabies and it seems to be working!

Comment from: pueo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had scabies for over a year, first thinking it was flea bites. But the use of Nix caused the scabies mites to emerge, and using tweezers and a magnifying glass I could see tiny sesame seed shaped critters with what looked like legs but may have been hairs. I collected some to show my doctor but by the time I went, they had shriveled up, and only the bit of my flesh that they were so strongly attached to was visible. So my doctor was skeptical, but he said to repeat the Nix. Hoping for relief.

Comment from: Classy4701, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I contracted scabies at an Airbnb in Nashville. It took 10 days to show up and I have it under my armpits, waist line, buttocks, arms and thighs. Three doctors later a scraping test was performed and found negative. So we did the second treatment of permethrin cream, which makes me itch like fire. It is 3 weeks since contracting scabies, 3 doctor visits, 2 steroid shots, antibiotics, steroid pack, steroid cream which makes it worse, Benadryl cream, Benadryl pills, prescription for Atarax anti itch pill. Still itching.

Comment from: Never Give Up, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

First great breakthrough for scabies is a soaking bath with diatomaceous earth (DE), excellent relief. Then I found extra strength Silver Miracles soap, shampoo and conditioner; game changer! Using Safer DE and Aunt Fannie’s all purpose pest remedy (clove oil plus) to disrupt their ecosystem in my environment (furniture, floor, etc.). Next, I'm investing in a steam cleaner (for furniture, cars, etc.), study essential oils, and add sulfur soap. It seems to be a battle of attrition and I will not be defeated.

Comment from: Larson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Hands, especially fingernails spread scabies. They are microscopic. The female scabies mite burrows under your skin and lays eggs. When you see a pimple it is the eggs growing. Don’t scratch! That “pus” is really larva that you are helping to get out. Puncture ‘pimple’ with a sharp point dipped in permethrin. When you see pus, know the eggs and larva are dying. Permethrin cream on body once/week doesn’t work. I use every day! Cover furniture with plastic. Wash everything. Permethrin kills cats, get them out!

Comment from: Princess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I suffered with scabies infestation for a few months. Now I'm free and clear and helping others. This is not everything, but you will see results. Wash your clothes in Gain, all fabric safe bleach, lemon ammonia, it will remove the scabies. Anything that comes out of the dryer with static and popping noises still has it so you can rewash or throw away.

Comment from: MasterDan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

This is the best remedy for scabies, as a personal guinea pig. Mix in a small bowl Sevin dust and clove oil, about a table spoon of each, then mix with petroleum jelly. As soon as you rub on any part of the skin you will feel tiny little rock come out of the skin in the 100s. Use every day till they are gone. The clove oil I use a few drops in my toothpaste, and after at least 2 drops under my tongue to get it in my blood stream to take care of the business.

Comment from: sarx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I used moxidectin that I purchased on Amazon, for my scabies. One treatment should do it since it lasts longer in the body than ivermectin. I also used lotion and clove bud mixed together on my skin. I used permethrin spray in a bottle (5 percent) on linens and furniture. I used Borax for washing clothes, in hot water. Moxidectin is already used to treat river blindness. I used Quest gel moxidectin from Amazon.

Comment from: Fed up , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

For resistant cases of scabies, permethrin is available in liquid form from feed stores and online. Cut it 50 percent with lotion of your choice and keep it with you. Apply over our body every night and shower off in the morning if you want to. I leave it on. You have to treat all your clothes, shoes, and furniture. As an alternative, bleach works on furniture and clothes, without using hot water or a dryer.

Comment from: CURE , 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 04

I’ve done a ton a research on scabies. Things to do: see a dermatologist as soon as possible! Get the cream, and do it! But, also ask them to prescribe you hydroxyzine for anti-histamine, for helping you sleep at night and not itch. And ask for the ivermectin prescription pill that you take internally. Have this on hand just in case the cream doesn't get rid of it. More importantly clean your home, car, wallet, shoes, anything you touched; door knobs, etc. Throw stuff out if it's a hassle to clean and use sulfur soap to shower with!

Comment from: DML68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have been battling this 7 months! I'm 51, hold a full time job, and full time care of 19 month old grandson! He doesn't seem to have them; just me. I've tried everything, doctors, emergency rooms, bug bombs and sprays. They allow me to sleep by dawn, then the little man wakes me. I work second shift, and get home by 1:00 am. I'm exhausted from this entire horrible situation!

Comment from: A&c.o, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I suffered badly from crusted scabies mentally, physically, and emotionally, thinking I was crazy chasing around invisible bugs. The permethrin helped a little but what seemed to be the most effective was straight Heinz vinegar and white hospital surgical tape to rip them right out of your pores.

Comment from: Allison, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have scabies on my lower legs, 1 larger patch and 1 smaller. I found an old remedy and it seems to work; zinc and castor oil cream (I used to use this on my babies nappy rash 45 years ago). When applied fairly thickly twice a day it smothers the little creatures. It is very thick and messy but I managed to get some tubular type leg bandage. I cut them to size to cover the affected parts under my trousers. I wash and change the bandage every day. I found good relief after 5 days and no nasty side effects. Good luck.

Comment from: Unknown, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

I got scabies from cleaning a hospital room without gloves. I have treated myself with prescription cream since over a month ago and it still hasn't gone away.

Comment from: Race1015, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have been fighting what everyone keeps saying is scabies for over a year and a half. This has taken over and destroyed my life. I've taken and done all the medicines ten times over, I have gone through 4 vacuums and a brand new washing machine. Other than drinking poison I haven't a clue what to do. I used to have beautiful nails and hair and now neither will grow.

Comment from: Scabiesgone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I tried permethrin cream twice for scabies and it didn't work. Then I tried everything from bleach to vinegar with little results. I bought Nix super lice treatment over the counter and tea tree oil. I applied both at the same time all over my whole body and I could feel them dying off of my skin and a great relief. I could also see the nasty bugs all over me but at last they were dead! I'm not sure if it killed the eggs so I'm going to do it again and again every 5 days to make sure. Wash and vacuum every day.

Comment from: Smokey, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 08

After trying every possible home remedy for scabies, plus permethrin and a prescription of ivermectin, I was at my wits’ end. As a last resort, I made a 50/50 mix of OTC lice shampoo and bleach, then rubbed it in, head to toe, for 5 minutes and rinsed off. Due to the infestation in my bedding and what not, I had to repeat several times over a few days. I only wish I knew about bleach sooner. I made sure to follow up each treatment with cortisone since the bleach is so harsh.

Comment from: Selene, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 19

I dealt with scabies first on my son for many years as he was misdiagnosed with eczema by several doctors. Eventually the whole family got it twice. I tried everything natural and pharma and nothing worked. The only thing that worked for us was encasing all mattresses with bug protectors and diluting Clorox in water and applying it on a soaked paper towel on the affected areas for a few minutes and it worked great!

Comment from: Disturbed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I've been dealing with scabies for just over a month now and I've been through 3 tubes of permethrin. It slows them down but that's all. Of the various, and somewhat random, home remedies I've tried, I found pouring a cup and a half of Windex in my bath water seems to work slightly better than the cream. About 2 weeks ago I took a 3 day roofing job in Florida which nearly eradicated them, due to heat I guess. But they made a comeback. I'll try clove oil next and let you know what happens.

Comment from: Gina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Coconut oil and castor oil have been effective for my scabies. I've been diagnosed with poisoning and given antibiotics for a skin infection. I have been to the hospital three times and finally figured out I have scabies. I figured it out. Hospital still has no diagnosis. I've used apple cider vinegar, then topped with castor oil, then organic coconut oil, and finally am getting relief! The cider suffocates it and so do the oils. Once I apply the oil, itching is completely gone. When I start itching I apply more till it is gone.

Comment from: Kathleen , 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 08

I took 1 cup coconut oil mixed with 1 tablespoon tea tree oil, heated in microwave for 1 minute. I covered my body from neck to toes 2 times a day. Let it seep into the skin for 40 minutes. Massage into the skin. My scabies finally went away!

Comment from: Kdr , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am infested with multi-drug resistant scabies. Permethrin, ivermectin, moxidectin, malathion, isoxazoline, spinosad, phenothrin with piperonyl butoxide, crotamiton, tea-tree oil, benzoyl benzoate and lindane all failed due the mites acquiring genes that enable them to detoxify most pesticides. Left with trying an ointment called Wilkinson’s ointment - pine tar and sulfur.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have contracted scabies several times from hotels! Each time, I used the permethrin cream that was prescribed by my doctor to no avail. They live for up to 72 hours on rugs, furniture and bedding. Several home remedies have worked for me. Buy both clove oil and tea tree oil and take baths by using up to 20 drops in the bath water. Also, dab on the oil where you see the tracts of bites, and also pimple looking bites. Vacuum daily and throw all clothes in the laundry and dryer. The dryer will kill them.

Comment from: Anita Kock, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

Scabies is not a fungal infection. It is a mite. Cover yourself in dandruff shampoo and leave on overnight. Wash the next day and it should be gone.

Comment from: Pretty Redd, (Patient) Published: May 25

I found out that using Sergeant’s Skip-Flea and Tick shampoo for dogs and puppies cleared my scabies up. Take a shower morning and at night using this shampoo. This shampoo is inexpensive and gets the job done. It has 10 percent of permethrin in it. As of this day I still use it to avoid re-infestation.

Comment from: Maria, Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I got scabies from hugging a member of a family as they buried their loved one at a cemetery. Permethrin did not kill the little critters after two treatments. I read an article online that stated that 6 drops of pure clove oil (clove oil is dangerously stronger than I could have imagined) to 8 ounces of olive oil (yes, that is the correct ratio; 6 drops, I used Now brand, of clove to 8 oz. olive oil) would provide enough heat to resolve the issue. It proved true. This formula killed the adults overnight. I re-applied 4 days later to kill any eggs that might have survived. I wish my doctor had known about this weak, inexpensive solution before I had wasted my money on the cream or spent almost two weeks struggling with this problem.

Comment from: The Joker, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

There are only two ways to treat scabies. One go see your doctor. Two, what helped me get cured is using either antifungal powder or best home remedy, pure neem oil. Apply in affected areas. Neem oil will numb the itching and provide relief within 3 or 4 days. And you should wash your clothes, especially your blankets and bedsheets. Because scabies is a fungal infection. So the fungus might be in your bedsheets even after you get cured and it may again cause you scabies. Only people who have suffered from scabies will know the pain of re-infestation. And it especially spreads in hostels and where many people live together it is contagious. Hope people who read this get cured with the best antifungal natural home remedy neem oil but it should be pure. Best of luck from one of the victims of scabies.

Comment from: robert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I went undiagnosed for almost 3 years. Once confirmed as scabies I took weekly treatments at first with Nix cream and then ended up doing 5 daily treatments with Nix to get rid of it. Three months and it was gone. I figured I picked it up from a hotel I stayed at. I heard later it had some kind of infestation. I’m not sure why doctors took so long to diagnose it. It would have saved me years of suffering.

Comment from: NH Kitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

On my first visit to my doctor, after 3 weeks of rash, which I thought was from a hotel hot tub, my doctor diagnosed me with scabies. I did have a very active traveling period from Christmas through April 1st. Staying in hotels, so I am sure I picked it up on bedding, or a bus, airplane, movie theater, etc., you can pick it up anywhere! I have been totally consumed by this, think about it constantly, always online trying to find the cure, buying all sorts of creams and oils, and I can only sleep for a couple of hours. End of April I started with permethrin treatment. Then I tried salt spray and Sarna Cream and had sea salt bath followed by cool showers and felt better. I added tea tree oil to sea salt spray, and added neem oil to Sarna medicated moisturizer and applied it for itch. When in tub baths I did exfoliating with scrub brush on affected area, but had to stop as it seemed too harsh. The permethrin treatment is tough on your skin. I showered or bathed 2 times per day, cleaned sheets and towels daily, vacuumed floors and furniture, sprayed furniture, car seats and some carpeting with permethrin spray. I bagged things that I have worn if not washed, in garage. I put shoes in freezer, sprayed and bagged. I wore pedi-socks all of the time in the house. Mattresses were encased in zippered covers. All clothing, bedding and towels went into garbage bag until ready to be washed in hot water, detergent and borax. I used hot dryer and I have cleaned things to the best of my ability. I am usually a very social person, but now find myself wanting to be in my clean bed, after a sea salt bath or cool shower. Sarna lotion offers the best moisturizer/anti-itch formula. Spot treat pimples with tea tree oil. Give the permethrin a chance to work before trying all of the harsh bleach, turpentine, etc. treatments you read about. After doing your initial environmental cleanup, you really have to concentrate on yourself, your clothing and your bedding. The mites want you! After 2nd visit to my doctor, he gave me a prescription for hydroxyzine, which has stopped the night itching and has allowed me to sleep. I think I am finally on the mend, but after almost two months, I am still dealing with it!

Comment from: itchy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I am trying flea and tick shampoo for dogs on my scabies 2 time a day. I am wondering for how many days I should do this.

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am in need of advice. l am going on my fourth mouth dealing with scabies. I can't seem to get them off my body or out of my shoes. I've had three permethrin treatments, I've bleached, had alcohol and hydrogen peroxide showers, applied tea tree oil all over the body and the same with clove oil. I would appreciate and help I can get, thank you.

Comment from: Confusedm40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I am on an overseas mission, and have been diagnosed with scabies. Maybe it was the hotel or the airline seat. Who knows! These things are quite large (1.5 to 2 cm), move quite fast, and are very defensive and aggressive. They even start poking whitish splinter like hairs on my face and body if you agitate or mess around with one of their mates. They seem to communicate somehow, and quickly gather (from thigh to face in 2 seconds) to the area where I poked the critter or their eggs.

Comment from: Snowflake, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I stayed with my sister one night and woke up with what looked like a mosquito bite on my face. Two days later I had 'bites’ all over my body. So I went to the hospital. He said 'it might be scabies' so he prescribed permethrin for me and my daughter (my daughter wasn’t itching at the time. I washed everything, and a week went by. I was still itching so we repeated the process. Two weeks later we scheduled a doctor’s appointment and a dermatologist visit. No one thinks it is scabies because it doesn't fit the criteria. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Mag, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

My dermatologist recommended that I put Vaseline all over my body after I applied permethrin for scabies. I don’t understand why the Vaseline.

Comment from: TinCan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 19

For scabies I use a mixture of 100 percent clove oil, sandalwood oil, and cedar wood, diluted with argon oil.

Comment from: mspip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had this miserable scabies for over a month before I went to doctor. I used neem oil and neem soap but saw little improvement. I was given prescription for permethrin cream a week ago today. It is still itching and I have read information from clinic which says it may keep itching for two weeks or more after treatment. Do not order an online ointment which I did, a really convincing ad and it was guaranteed or money back. I am sending it back today. Three places are the worst; abdomen, upper chest, and back of left hand. A bit unsightly but all can be covered with clothing except the hand. It seems that it came from a motel which looked clean, but a few weeks later I got scabies.

Comment from: going crazy, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My son had all these little red bumps all over his body. So I took him to the doc and she looked at him and said that he had scabies. I was a little scared I have never had to deal with this before. I have 2 other kids. So i went to get the medication and we applied for it after paying 50 dollars and washed all the clothes and bedding, floors, and everything. Now he has been home from school for over a week and still nothing. I don’t think that he has scabies. He has nothing in his hands, feet, and nothing showing that it is tracking and browning in his skin. Nothing on his elbows or underarms. The places he has it is face, noes, eyelids, lips, chest, hips, and waist.

Comment from: lexi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dr. is totally convinced that I have scabies, and I’m pretty sure she's right. Unfortunately, I’ve used Permethrin 3 times in the last six weeks and have had no success. I’ve had this rash, which started on my head about 2 weeks after a haircut in a busy salon, for about 9 months now. I’m getting scars on my chest and back, plus it has spread to my face. I’ve tried Benadryl, cortisone creme, and no luck, not even with the itching. However, I have experienced a minute change since I starting using Aveeno colloidal oatmeal lotion 3 times a day in addition to colloidal oatmeal baths daily for the last week. If this stuff doesn't go away, I’m going to lose my freaking mind! I can't go back to work until I am rid of this, per my boss. It is difficult to go back to the dr. to get more creme, which also is not cheap. If anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear them and if anyone has luck with the oatmeal, I would also like to know. Even though it's only been a small amount of help, it helped more than 3 treatments of Permethrin. What’s crazy is that I’ve had it for 8 months, and my fiance hasn't had the first symptom. It’s not in the bends of my body, either rather my back, and face, chest, and a small spot on my ribs, a streak on my stomach, and a patch between my hip and pelvis. Part of me wishes this could be a misdiagnosis. I just want it gone! Any tips would be more than greatly appreciated!

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn’t really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I've had these rash like patches on my upper back, backside and it has been unbearable. It itches, burns and after that scabs, and then hurts. I went to the doctor who said it was a form of shingles and won’t give me medicines. I'm in years with this, and it is bothering me so bad physically and mentally. I am wondering if this is scabies.

Comment from: Michael, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 11

I got scabies from a bed at an ILF (independent living facility). I got scabies from a shelter. I got scabies from a sweater. I got scabies from another shelter that is in cahoots with the first one. Have a nice day.

Comment from: Je, 35-44 (Patient) Published: September 20

After using permethrin cream for scabies, I wonder if I should change the covers on my bed every day. It’s been 5 days now and I have been changing my covers and sheets every day.

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I wish you good health in dealing with these parasites. I've had scabies for 1 year, got them from a horrible choice hotel. I told my hubby I was skeptical about staying there; we were driving to Florida. I have lots in my hair so it's been a journey. I traveled to west coast they left. Lo and behold, I put on a dress I thought was clean, I washed it in hot water and dried it in the dryer... but to my surprise I re-contaminated myself. It's a struggle and my wishes are with you.

Comment from: Fed up 2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

There is a new treatment for scabies with silicone base stuff, I just began with that. Apparently it is better, the permethrin clogs the burrows.

Comment from: CitizenScientist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Never, ever use cortisone of any kind, on suspected scabies. I wish doctors would stop prescribing it. Cortisone produces crusted scabies and they are extremely difficult to eradicate. Please use only medical research articles to combat the problem. Everyone presents differently which is what makes diagnosis so difficult. If one has an auto-immune disorder or disease, the body will try to assimilate the mites and it may be years before symptoms appear.

Comment from: Debbie, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

This girl caught the scabies bug and came over to my house with it and passed it on to me. She knew she had something and still came over anyway not letting anyone know, she sat on my couch, sat on my floor, I shared cigarettes with her, and she probably even touched me. I didn't know what I had for the longest time, I've never heard of scabies. It's the worst thing that has ever happened to me, I've probably had it for several months. I've been taking tea tree baths which helps, but I still have it.

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I did ice and heat for scabies, people!

Comment from: Dove, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the doctor with a rash. He merely said it was an allergy. I went to the allergy Fair in London, where I had a blood test. They said I was allergic to wheat and cow’s milk etc. I went back to the doctor and asked for a hospital test. The results, he said, were normal. Since I was itching and not able to sleep, I went to a laboratory and they said my digestive tract was inflamed. They also confirmed allergy to wheat, eggs, milk, avocado, peanuts, and bananas. I have always watched my food intake, but since they said all was normal, I had a croissant and sandwich ten days apart. I had been told that I could re-introduce these foods and I had not eaten them really for 35 years. I was sure that the itching was from the wheat. I carried on itching so badly that I thought I would tear my skin off. Finally I went to an emergency hospital in Europe. He diagnosed scabies. I am surprised that my London doctor did not take a sample of my rash. I think it was very badly handled. I have now had it for four months.

Comment from: Rapunzel, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 03

My two kids go to Mexico to visit their father every year. It seems like every time they go, something happens. My son has psoriasis and dermatitis and seen the dermatologist eight times in one year. It took five months for the doctor to even suggest scabies. After severe itching and rash and months later, we all have it.

Comment from: Dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I felt so itchy on my left arm after Thanksgiving day and scratched myself badly. Within two days it went over my other arm, feet, thighs, and then my body. There were a lot of bumps but no colors when I scratched and nothing like WedMD's pictures. After two days of being crazy I went to the doctor and she said I got scabies. I used permethrin cream all over my body for one night. After washing it I still felt itchy. Taking Benadryl didn't help me at all. I went to Wal-mart and got Tea Tree Oil (100% pure) and applied all over my body after the shower (twice a day). I could last at work for th whole day without scratching myself badly. The tea tree oil also helps all the wounds heal very fast. Now 1 week after my first scratch from scabies, I am clean from it. Thank you for all your posts and the tea tree oil.

Comment from: Kathryn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have just been diagnosed with scabies on my upper ankle. Here in east Texas we have red ants. That's what I thought bit me but the "bites" just wouldn't heal. Thus, a visit to my GP. He prescribed a cream I'm to put all over my body then shower off 12 hours later. And wash all bedding, clothing, etc. I have absolutely no idea where I contracted these nasty little creatures. I'm an elderly single woman, and not sexually active, so can't imagine how I contracted this.

Comment from: supercutemom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I came home from a trip to the lake with a terrible rash that itched like crazy. I had to go to three doctors before I found out I had scabies. It is truly the worst itching I have ever experienced! The itching got much worse at night. My doctor was able to determine it was scabies because the rash made a linear pattern. It was mainly on my chest, under arms and bottom and legs. I used a cream that my whole family and I left on for 8 to 14 hours and then washed off in the shower. We repeated the process a week later. It seemed to work and for now we are scabies free. After getting scabies I was told I had Impetigo. Please be careful if you have scabies because it can easily turn into another serious skin infection. Good luck and don't be embarrassed if you get it. It happens to the best of families and people.

Comment from: blair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Icy Hot or Blue Ice muscle rub KILLS scabies

Comment from: jen, Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Ivermectin is the very best and surest remedy.

Comment from: girl next door, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had scabies about six months ago and I tried the prescribed cream that the doctor told me to use and found that after several weeks I was not seeing any real improvement. I started looking at websites and found an old home remedy that might just do the trick. I went to the store and for about $8.00 I bought a bottle of tea tree oil. I rubbed in everywhere I had spots and not only did it take care of the itching but within two weeks it was starting to clear up. Unfortunately where I had scratched so much though I do still have some scars from the places where I had the rash. I hope this is helpful.

Comment from: Nana, 13-18 Female Published: August 03

My older sister works at a daycare, and I guess one of the kids came out having scabies. My oldest sister sleeps with my younger sister and now they are both infested with scabies. One has them on her feet, legs, arms, behind, and stomach, and the other on her hands and elbows. They are scratching all the time.

Comment from: dotzoe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

About 65 years ago my whole family was contaminated with scabies. An older friend of mine advised me to buy some "green" soap at the drug store and to ask the pharmacist to sell me some sulfur cream. I was directed to put the cream in all affected places each of three consecutive days after thoroughly washing myself with the soap and on the third day to bathe myself and getting rid of the clothes that I had worn through the treatment. All eleven of us followed the procedure. The bedclothes were sent off to the laundry for decontamination. The scabies were gone within a week, never to return.

Comment from: pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I hope I can help people with the information I have to share. I was diagnosed with scabies about three weeks ago. I don’t know how I got it. I’ve never had it before, but it’s miserable. My doctor prescribed ‘Derbac M’ lotion for me. I followed the instructions and after about two weeks, there was a marked difference. However, my doctors told me to reapply the lotion after seven days. The spots started fading and I felt better. The itching is still with me, but it is slowly getting better. The itching can take a while to subside, though don’t despair. My doctor prescribed me Trimovate cream for the itching. By the way, we have changed and washed our clothes and bedding every day until we saw some improvement. I hope this helps someone out there. Good luck.

Comment from: mother, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

My son somehow contracted scabies. He broke out in little red bumps, so I took him to the doctor, who misdiagnosed scabies as eczema. Later on, though, I started itching too, so we went to a dermatologist who did a skin scrape and he said it was scabies. My son has it so bad on his hands and feet that he has started to blister. We are using the lotion the doctor said to use, but this is really bad. I really hope we can get rid of it.

Comment from: Tuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I contracted scabies two years ago, thanks to a hotel that didn't appropriately clean their rooms and linens. I was misdiagnosed with some form of contact eczema at first (family doctor), and after suffering with the maddening itching for two weeks and using his cortizone cream, I broke down and went to a dermatologist. She immediately diagnosed scabies, prescribed the premetrine, and it cleared up after a few days. Benadryl was very helpful in stopping the itching, as was COLD showers. Hot showers seem to just agitate the little critters. What I did was wash in a warm shower (while the little critters ran amuck) and then cooled it down to as cold as I could stand it - and that would just about stop the itch. Unfortunately, once you've had these things, you're susceptible to them. We went to Vegas for a little vacation last week, and on the plane back Saturday I noticed my right hand breaking out. Sunday, they'd literally exploded all over my body in the warm, moist places that they like. SO - I'm back in to see the dermatologist this afternoon (she was good enough to work me in, being sympathetic to the itch). I've read that they don't normally attack the face, but I even have them on my face this time. I have no idea what triggered this episode, as the hotel was very clean, linens were changed daily, I wasn't in contact with anybody - just no idea. Maybe it was losing all that nasty money and my frayed nerves that weakened my immune system to the point that they were able to get loose. Who knows?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with scabies two months ago. I used the cream twice, but it didn't seem to help. I used sulfur powder which eliminated the itching. I believe I contracted this from an air mattress. I now have sores on my arms and legs. It started on my back and chest then migrated. I am going to try baby oil and a hot sauna. I hope it works.

Comment from: sisi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I just found out a week ago my daughter has scabies, and I do too. There are other friends of hers that I have noticed who are itching and have bumps. No one wants to admit that they have mites on them, though. I immediately told the other families. They went and got checked out and they have it as well. This is a very scary thing but we have the cream and I pray it works. Thank you all for writing your comments. It's a reassurance that everything will be ok.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have just been diagnosed with scabies too. The itching started about a month ago. I figured that it was dry skin so I delayed getting it checked out even though the red bumps were a dead giveaway that something was wrong. I too can't believe that I have this. This is my nightmare. Bugs in my skin!! Aghhh... I am a nursing student and most definitely got them from giving bed baths to my patients. What a nice gift? I have just applied medication to my whole body. Everybody in my family has applied the treatment also (even though there is no evidence yet of them being infected). Everybody has to do it on the same day.....I want to say thanks to everybody posting and sharing their info.....I will definitely try the sauna too!!! I wish everyone luck in getting rid of these critters! Yuk...

Ancient remedy was pine tar and sulphur, both are avail in soaps. Some people try a really hot sauna. 120 degrees for ten mins supposedly kills the mites according to the cdc site. A good sauna is heated to 200 degrees or more. Just don't sweat on anyone! The cream seems to work but you really have to cover every inch of the body from neck down. People miss a spot and it fails. NO JEWELRY! They should put that on the label. Mites cling to watches, rings, etc. And they say it takes two weeks to know for sure if the cream worked. People say in a super hot sauna you can feel the mites freak out and die. Some people say the mites get burning and push to the surface and jump. Just look up sauna to kill scabies. Good luck and be careful. Hot saunas are tough.

Comment from: Nomad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Thank you for providing such a thorough and informative medical review. It helped me greatly.

Comment from: Female Published: January 04

I have had scabies for about two months now. I was misdiagnosed with hives. Benadryl helps at night and takes away some of the itching, but now I have to see a doctor and I don’t have insurance.

Comment from: scratchynitchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have scabies all over my face, ears and neck, and all over my body. The doctor prescribed lice treatment and said that it’s the same medicine used for scabies. The thing is that this medication is not working, and I am out of my mind with this itching.

Comment from: Millwright Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

Is scabies embarrassing? It sure is. This is ridiculous. I've never had anything like this in my life. I work in mining camps and usually we work two or three weeks in and two weeks out. Well, you’re often sleeping in different bunk rooms. The bedding is always changed and clean but the mattresses don't get changed. Apparently this is where I picked up this evil little bug. I'm going nuts. It looks like I have chicken pox, even though there is no itching (yet). I just have a whole bunch of little red bumps. They're on my crotch, neck, head, arms, chest… basically everywhere. I just applied that NIX cream yesterday and feel like I'm covered in Vaseline (I’m all greasy!). I'm not sure how long it takes for this stuff to work but I'm getting more bumps. I hope this stuff does work because it's $27.00 a tube. I bought 3, applied 1 tube and plan on re-applying in three days then again 3 days after that. My wife and kids don't have any of these red bumps so I hope the doctor diagnosed it right.

Comment from: peccavione, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I have scabies now and it's very uncomfortable, with all the itching and burning sensations. I have no real clue as to how I received this, only that I work in a hospital ER, and my dermatologist said, "that explains it." I'm using the Permethrin Cream now, started 2 days ago. I know I should wait a week before applying it again, but I'm so itchy I just want to make sure I kill all the mites. All the itching makes it hard to tell if I killed them all or not.

Comment from: boots4lizz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I also do not know how I came into contact with this parasite or mite or whatever annoying little bugger that it is. I found this information on e-medicine health to be more explanatory and very proficient in describing this awful allergic reaction. I also found it to be more thorough than WebMD in some cases, for instance, the detail description and photos were right on the money, and I also found the information to be comforting as well as upsetting. I am happy to know there is a cure. Thanks for the very thorough information and I look forward to visiting this site from now on for my medical questions and needs.

Yes, it's hard to know if you got rid of the bugs with treatment. I treated with Permetherin 5% and followed in between with neem oil and tear tree oil together...then witch hazel and tea tree oil...then another dose of the RX. I still itch which I heard is part of the side affects of meds but also feel like I am getting new bites. I've been to the Laundromat so much, we're on a first name basis. It sucks because you feel like you don't want to go anywhere or hug anyone or have them at your home because you are afraid you might infect someone. I think I am going to try the extra strength Ben Gay. Sounds hopeful.

Comment from: kare_65, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 23

A week ago I started to get little bumps on the tops of my hands. It spread to my entire body. So 4 days ago I went to the ER they diagnosed me with scabies, gave me a prescription for tremerthin said it would cure it. Well it didn’t, in fact it got worse. Went to my family doctor, she said scabies and gave me a prescription for the same thing and some pills for the itching. Well I am still covered, and I can only take the pills at night because they make me drowsy. No one else in the house has gotten this. I am going nuts with the itching.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW