Scabies

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pretty Redd, (Patient) Published: May 25

I found out that using Sergeant's Skip-Flea and Tick shampoo for dogs and puppies cleared my scabies up. Take a shower morning and at night using this shampoo. This shampoo is inexpensive and gets the job done. It has 10 percent of permethrin in it. As of this day I still use it to avoid re-infestation.

Comment from: Maria, Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I got scabies from hugging a member of a family as they buried their loved one at a cemetery. Permethrin did not kill the little critters after two treatments. I read an article online that stated that 6 drops of pure clove oil (clove oil is dangerously stronger than I could have imagined) to 8 ounces of olive oil (yes, that is the correct ratio; 6 drops, I used Now brand, of clove to 8 oz. olive oil) would provide enough heat to resolve the issue. It proved true. This formula killed the adults overnight. I re-applied 4 days later to kill any eggs that might have survived. I wish my doctor had known about this weak, inexpensive solution before I had wasted my money on the cream or spent almost two weeks struggling with this problem.

Comment from: The Joker, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

There are only two ways to treat scabies. One go see your doctor. Two, what helped me get cured is using either antifungal powder or best home remedy, pure neem oil. Apply in affected areas. Neem oil will numb the itching and provide relief within 3 or 4 days. And you should wash your clothes, especially your blankets and bedsheets. Because scabies is a fungal infection. So the fungus might be in your bedsheets even after you get cured and it may again cause you scabies. Only people who have suffered from scabies will know the pain of re-infestation. And it especially spreads in hostels and where many people live together it is contagious. Hope people who read this get cured with the best antifungal natural home remedy neem oil but it should be pure. Best of luck from one of the victims of scabies.

Comment from: robert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I went undiagnosed for almost 3 years. Once confirmed as scabies I took weekly treatments at first with Nix cream and then ended up doing 5 daily treatments with Nix to get rid of it. Three months and it was gone. I figured I picked it up from a hotel I stayed at. I heard later it had some kind of infestation. I'm not sure why doctors took so long to diagnose it. It would have saved me years of suffering.

Comment from: NH Kitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

On my first visit to my doctor, after 3 weeks of rash, which I thought was from a hotel hot tub, my doctor diagnosed me with scabies. I did have a very active traveling period from Christmas through April 1st. Staying in hotels, so I am sure I picked it up on bedding, or a bus, airplane, movie theater, etc., you can pick it up anywhere! I have been totally consumed by this, think about it constantly, always online trying to find the cure, buying all sorts of creams and oils, and I can only sleep for a couple of hours. End of April I started with permethrin treatment. Then I tried salt spray and Sarna Cream and had sea salt bath followed by cool showers and felt better. I added tea tree oil to sea salt spray, and added neem oil to Sarna medicated moisturizer and applied it for itch. When in tub baths I did exfoliating with scrub brush on affected area, but had to stop as it seemed too harsh. The permethrin treatment is tough on your skin. I showered or bathed 2 times per day, cleaned sheets and towels daily, vacuumed floors and furniture, sprayed furniture, car seats and some carpeting with permethrin spray. I bagged things that I have worn if not washed, in garage. I put shoes in freezer, sprayed and bagged. I wore pedi-socks all of the time in the house. Mattresses were encased in zippered covers. All clothing, bedding and towels went into garbage bag until ready to be washed in hot water, detergent and borax. I used hot dryer and I have cleaned things to the best of my ability. I am usually a very social person, but now find myself wanting to be in my clean bed, after a sea salt bath or cool shower. Sarna lotion offers the best moisturizer/anti-itch formula. Spot treat pimples with tea tree oil. Give the permethrin a chance to work before trying all of the harsh bleach, turpentine, etc. treatments you read about. After doing your initial environmental cleanup, you really have to concentrate on yourself, your clothing and your bedding. The mites want you! After 2nd visit to my doctor, he gave me a prescription for hydroxyzine, which has stopped the night itching and has allowed me to sleep. I think I am finally on the mend, but after almost two months, I am still dealing with it!

Comment from: mspip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had this miserable scabies for over a month before I went to doctor. I used neem oil and neem soap but saw little improvement. I was given prescription for permethrin cream a week ago today. It is still itching and I have read information from clinic which says it may keep itching for two weeks or more after treatment. Do not order an online ointment which I did, a really convincing ad and it was guaranteed or money back. I am sending it back today. Three places are the worst; abdomen, upper chest, and back of left hand. A bit unsightly but all can be covered with clothing except the hand. It seems that it came from a motel which looked clean, but a few weeks later I got scabies.

Comment from: going crazy, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My son had all these little red bumps all over his body. So I took him to the doc and she looked at him and said that he had scabies. I was a little scared I have never had to deal with this before. I have 2 other kids. So i went to get the medication and we applied for it after paying 50 dollars and washed all the clothes and bedding, floors, and everything. Now he has been home from school for over a week and still nothing. I don't think that he has scabies. He has nothing in his hands, feet, and nothing showing that it is tracking and browning in his skin. Nothing on his elbows or underarms. The places he has it is face, noes, eyelids, lips, chest, hips, and waist.

Comment from: lexi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dr. is totally convinced that I have scabies, and I'm pretty sure she's right. Unfortunately, I've used Permethrin 3 times in the last six weeks and have had no success. I've had this rash, which started on my head about 2 weeks after a haircut in a busy salon, for about 9 months now. I'm getting scars on my chest and back, plus it has spread to my face. I've tried Benadryl, cortisone creme, and no luck, not even with the itching. However, I have experienced a minute change since I starting using Aveeno colloidal oatmeal lotion 3 times a day in addition to colloidal oatmeal baths daily for the last week. If this stuff doesn't go away, I'm going to lose my freaking mind! I can't go back to work until I am rid of this, per my boss. It is difficult to go back to the dr. to get more creme, which also is not cheap. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them and if anyone has luck with the oatmeal, I would also like to know. Even though it's only been a small amount of help, it helped more than 3 treatments of Permethrin. What's crazy is that I've had it for 8 months, and my fiance hasn't had the first symptom. It's not in the bends of my body, either rather my back, and face, chest, and a small spot on my ribs, a streak on my stomach, and a patch between my hip and pelvis. Part of me wishes this could be a misdiagnosis. I just want it gone! Any tips would be more than greatly appreciated!

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn't really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: Dove, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the doctor with a rash. He merely said it was an allergy. I went to the allergy Fair in London, where I had a blood test. They said I was allergic to wheat and cow's milk etc. I went back to the doctor and asked for a hospital test. The results, he said, were normal. Since I was itching and not able to sleep, I went to a laboratory and they said my digestive tract was inflamed. They also confirmed allergy to wheat, eggs, milk, avocado, peanuts, and bananas. I have always watched my food intake, but since they said all was normal, I had a croissant and sandwich ten days apart. I had been told that I could re-introduce these foods and I had not eaten them really for 35 years. I was sure that the itching was from the wheat. I carried on itching so badly that I thought I would tear my skin off. Finally I went to an emergency hospital in Europe. He diagnosed scabies. I am surprised that my London doctor did not take a sample of my rash. I think it was very badly handled. I have now had it for four months.

Comment from: Rapunzel, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 03

My two kids go to Mexico to visit their father every year. It seems like every time they go, something happens. My son has psoriasis and dermatitis and seen the dermatologist eight times in one year. It took five months for the doctor to even suggest scabies. After severe itching and rash and months later, we all have it.

Comment from: Dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I felt so itchy on my left arm after Thanksgiving day and scratched myself badly. Within two days it went over my other arm, feet, thighs, and then my body. There were a lot of bumps but no colors when I scratched and nothing like WedMD's pictures. After two days of being crazy I went to the doctor and she said I got scabies. I used permethrin cream all over my body for one night. After washing it I still felt itchy. Taking Benadryl didn't help me at all. I went to Wal-mart and got Tea Tree Oil (100% pure) and applied all over my body after the shower (twice a day). I could last at work for th whole day without scratching myself badly. The tea tree oil also helps all the wounds heal very fast. Now 1 week after my first scratch from scabies, I am clean from it. Thank you for all your posts and the tea tree oil.

Comment from: Kathryn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have just been diagnosed with scabies on my upper ankle. Here in east Texas we have red ants. That's what I thought bit me but the "bites" just wouldn't heal. Thus, a visit to my GP. He prescribed a cream I'm to put all over my body then shower off 12 hours later. And wash all bedding, clothing, etc. I have absolutely no idea where I contracted these nasty little creatures. I'm an elderly single woman, and not sexually active, so can't imagine how I contracted this.

Comment from: supercutemom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I came home from a trip to the lake with a terrible rash that itched like crazy. I had to go to three doctors before I found out I had scabies. It is truly the worst itching I have ever experienced! The itching got much worse at night. My doctor was able to determine it was scabies because the rash made a linear pattern. It was mainly on my chest, under arms and bottom and legs. I used a cream that my whole family and I left on for 8 to 14 hours and then washed off in the shower. We repeated the process a week later. It seemed to work and for now we are scabies free. After getting scabies I was told I had Impetigo. Please be careful if you have scabies because it can easily turn into another serious skin infection. Good luck and don't be embarrassed if you get it. It happens to the best of families and people.

Comment from: blair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Icy Hot or Blue Ice muscle rub KILLS scabies

Comment from: jen, Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Ivermectin is the very best and surest remedy.

Comment from: girl next door, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had scabies about six months ago and I tried the prescribed cream that the doctor told me to use and found that after several weeks I was not seeing any real improvement. I started looking at websites and found an old home remedy that might just do the trick. I went to the store and for about $8.00 I bought a bottle of tea tree oil. I rubbed in everywhere I had spots and not only did it take care of the itching but within two weeks it was starting to clear up. Unfortunately where I had scratched so much though I do still have some scars from the places where I had the rash. I hope this is helpful.

Comment from: Nana, 13-18 Female Published: August 03

My older sister works at a daycare, and I guess one of the kids came out having scabies. My oldest sister sleeps with my younger sister and now they are both infested with scabies. One has them on her feet, legs, arms, behind, and stomach, and the other on her hands and elbows. They are scratching all the time.

Comment from: dotzoe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

About 65 years ago my whole family was contaminated with scabies. An older friend of mine advised me to buy some "green" soap at the drug store and to ask the pharmacist to sell me some sulfur cream. I was directed to put the cream in all affected places each of three consecutive days after thoroughly washing myself with the soap and on the third day to bathe myself and getting rid of the clothes that I had worn through the treatment. All eleven of us followed the procedure. The bedclothes were sent off to the laundry for decontamination. The scabies were gone within a week, never to return.

Comment from: pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I hope I can help people with the information I have to share. I was diagnosed with scabies about three weeks ago. I don't know how I got it. I've never had it before, but it's miserable. My doctor prescribed 'Derbac M' lotion for me. I followed the instructions and after about two weeks, there was a marked difference. However, my doctors told me to reapply the lotion after seven days. The spots started fading and I felt better. The itching is still with me, but it is slowly getting better. The itching can take a while to subside, though don't despair. My doctor prescribed me Trimovate cream for the itching. By the way, we have changed and washed our clothes and bedding every day until we saw some improvement. I hope this helps someone out there. Good luck.

Comment from: mother, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

My son somehow contracted scabies. He broke out in little red bumps, so I took him to the doctor, who misdiagnosed scabies as eczema. Later on, though, I started itching too, so we went to a dermatologist who did a skin scrape and he said it was scabies. My son has it so bad on his hands and feet that he has started to blister. We are using the lotion the doctor said to use, but this is really bad. I really hope we can get rid of it.

Comment from: Tuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I contracted scabies two years ago, thanks to a hotel that didn't appropriately clean their rooms and linens. I was misdiagnosed with some form of contact eczema at first (family doctor), and after suffering with the maddening itching for two weeks and using his cortizone cream, I broke down and went to a dermatologist. She immediately diagnosed scabies, prescribed the premetrine, and it cleared up after a few days. Benadryl was very helpful in stopping the itching, as was COLD showers. Hot showers seem to just agitate the little critters. What I did was wash in a warm shower (while the little critters ran amuck) and then cooled it down to as cold as I could stand it - and that would just about stop the itch. Unfortunately, once you've had these things, you're susceptible to them. We went to Vegas for a little vacation last week, and on the plane back Saturday I noticed my right hand breaking out. Sunday, they'd literally exploded all over my body in the warm, moist places that they like. SO - I'm back in to see the dermatologist this afternoon (she was good enough to work me in, being sympathetic to the itch). I've read that they don't normally attack the face, but I even have them on my face this time. I have no idea what triggered this episode, as the hotel was very clean, linens were changed daily, I wasn't in contact with anybody - just no idea. Maybe it was losing all that nasty money and my frayed nerves that weakened my immune system to the point that they were able to get loose. Who knows?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with scabies two months ago. I used the cream twice, but it didn't seem to help. I used sulfur powder which eliminated the itching. I believe I contracted this from an air mattress. I now have sores on my arms and legs. It started on my back and chest then migrated. I am going to try baby oil and a hot sauna. I hope it works.

Comment from: sisi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I just found out a week ago my daughter has scabies, and I do too. There are other friends of hers that I have noticed who are itching and have bumps. No one wants to admit that they have mites on them, though. I immediately told the other families. They went and got checked out and they have it as well. This is a very scary thing but we have the cream and I pray it works. Thank you all for writing your comments. It's a reassurance that everything will be ok.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have just been diagnosed with scabies too. The itching started about a month ago. I figured that it was dry skin so I delayed getting it checked out even though the red bumps were a dead giveaway that something was wrong. I too can't believe that I have this. This is my nightmare. Bugs in my skin!! Aghhh... I am a nursing student and most definitely got them from giving bed baths to my patients. What a nice gift? I have just applied medication to my whole body. Everybody in my family has applied the treatment also (even though there is no evidence yet of them being infected). Everybody has to do it on the same day.....I want to say thanks to everybody posting and sharing their info.....I will definitely try the sauna too!!! I wish everyone luck in getting rid of these critters! Yuk...

Ancient remedy was pine tar and sulphur, both are avail in soaps. Some people try a really hot sauna. 120 degrees for ten mins supposedly kills the mites according to the cdc site. A good sauna is heated to 200 degrees or more. Just don't sweat on anyone! The cream seems to work but you really have to cover every inch of the body from neck down. People miss a spot and it fails. NO JEWELRY! They should put that on the label. Mites cling to watches, rings, etc. And they say it takes two weeks to know for sure if the cream worked. People say in a super hot sauna you can feel the mites freak out and die. Some people say the mites get burning and push to the surface and jump. Just look up sauna to kill scabies. Good luck and be careful. Hot saunas are tough.

Comment from: Nomad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Thank you for providing such a thorough and informative medical review. It helped me greatly.

Comment from: Female Published: January 04

I have had scabies for about two months now. I was misdiagnosed with hives. Benadryl helps at night and takes away some of the itching, but now I have to see a doctor and I don't have insurance.

Comment from: scratchynitchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have scabies all over my face, ears and neck, and all over my body. The doctor prescribed lice treatment and said that it's the same medicine used for scabies. The thing is that this medication is not working, and I am out of my mind with this itching.

Comment from: Millwright Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

Is scabies embarrassing? It sure is. This is ridiculous. I've never had anything like this in my life. I work in mining camps and usually we work two or three weeks in and two weeks out. Well, you're often sleeping in different bunk rooms. The bedding is always changed and clean but the mattresses don't get changed. Apparently this is where I picked up this evil little bug. I'm going nuts. It looks like I have chicken pox, even though there is no itching (yet). I just have a whole bunch of little red bumps. They're on my crotch, neck, head, arms, chest… basically everywhere. I just applied that NIX cream yesterday and feel like I'm covered in Vaseline (I'm all greasy!). I'm not sure how long it takes for this stuff to work but I'm getting more bumps. I hope this stuff does work because it's $27.00 a tube. I bought 3, applied 1 tube and plan on re-applying in three days then again 3 days after that. My wife and kids don't have any of these red bumps so I hope the doctor diagnosed it right.

Comment from: peccavione, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I have scabies now and it's very uncomfortable, with all the itching and burning sensations. I have no real clue as to how I received this, only that I work in a hospital ER, and my dermatologist said, "that explains it." I'm using the Permethrin Cream now, started 2 days ago. I know I should wait a week before applying it again, but I'm so itchy I just want to make sure I kill all the mites. All the itching makes it hard to tell if I killed them all or not.

Comment from: boots4lizz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I also do not know how I came into contact with this parasite or mite or whatever annoying little bugger that it is. I found this information on e-medicine health to be more explanatory and very proficient in describing this awful allergic reaction. I also found it to be more thorough than WebMD in some cases, for instance, the detail description and photos were right on the money, and I also found the information to be comforting as well as upsetting. I am happy to know there is a cure. Thanks for the very thorough information and I look forward to visiting this site from now on for my medical questions and needs.

Yes, it's hard to know if you got rid of the bugs with treatment. I treated with Permetherin 5% and followed in between with neem oil and tear tree oil together...then witch hazel and tea tree oil...then another dose of the RX. I still itch which I heard is part of the side affects of meds but also feel like I am getting new bites. I've been to the Laundromat so much, we're on a first name basis. It sucks because you feel like you don't want to go anywhere or hug anyone or have them at your home because you are afraid you might infect someone. I think I am going to try the extra strength Ben Gay. Sounds hopeful.

Comment from: kare_65, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 23

A week ago I started to get little bumps on the tops of my hands. It spread to my entire body. So 4 days ago I went to the ER they diagnosed me with scabies, gave me a prescription for tremerthin said it would cure it. Well it didn't, in fact it got worse. Went to my family doctor, she said scabies and gave me a prescription for the same thing and some pills for the itching. Well I am still covered, and I can only take the pills at night because they make me drowsy. No one else in the house has gotten this. I am going nuts with the itching.

Comment from: Audrey in LA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I got rid of mine with extra strength Bengay ($8.00 a tube). It burns them out and they really go wild but it worked for me. Do follow up with the eggs as they hatch--just a dab on the stinging spot, but don't miss any. Good luck.

Comment from: miserablemite, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I just got diagnosed with scabies today, after about a month of this disgusting little bug, has been working under my skin. My entire family has it now, and I am so frustrated with the numerous doctor visits, and expensive creams and even home remedies that have been unsuccessful. So now, I was prescribed Cetirizine 1 tablet a day, Topicort for the itching, Ivermectin 4 tablets 1 time only on Wednesday. A Meddrok Pak to take as directed, Permetrhrin which I am to apply liberally all over my body to stay on overnight and Last but not least Tramcinolone to apply twice a day as needed for rash/itching. So hopefully, all this will help us. Cool showers help to alleviate the itching, but who wants to be taking cold showers for the rest of my life....NOT ME.

• Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?

Post View 21 Comments

Barry, Megan. "Scabies." Medscape. June 30, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1109204-overview>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Parasites - Scabies." Nov. 2, 2010. <http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Parasites - Scabies: Treatment." Sept. 16, 2016. <http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/treatment.html>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Scabies." Nov. 2, 2010. <http://www.cdc.gov/scabies/>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Travelers' Health: Scabies." July 10, 2015. <https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/scabies>.