Sciatica

What were the symptoms of your sciatica? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rachel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I’ve had chronic sciatica for over 2 years now. I had an acute episode for 7 weeks initially. I tried every kind of treatment -- chiropractors, physiotherapy, steroid injections, acupuncture. None of this worked or gave any kind of relief until I went for traction therapy. I was like a new person after one treatment, even though I was told that I was likely to have relief on the first session. I was pain free for 2 days! I think I cried with joy. Traction really worked for me when nothing else did.

Comment from: Her-Ri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I've been having lower back pains and sciatica for a long time. I found out that I had herniated disc over L4 L5. I underwent a keyhole surgery to remove part of the disc, it failed. I recently tried epidural steroid injection but that failed too due to the scarring over my nerves and tissue. I am sick of my pain. It's been almost a month on leave. I can't walk more than 10 steps. It's humiliating not to even be able to do your basic ADLs (activities of daily life). It's so depressing. It's killing me slowly inside.

Comment from: Jarhead26 , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I take about 15 pills a day to maintain some sort of life style. I am a retired Marine. Before I retired, I was used to running 20 miles a day and now I am lucky if I can walk a mile. This I hate, I have always been very active, now I have to do what I can according to the pain level of the day. I have tried everything under the sun for pain. If you name a medication, I have probably been on it.

Comment from: Run Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My sciatica symptom is pain below my buttocks right side that runs down the back of my thigh, behind my knee to my lower leg and finally to my right foot, and includes ankle, top of the foot and bottom of the foot. Toes hurt and sometimes big toe cracks a lot.

Comment from: zahid khan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I am suffering from what it looks to me as sciatica because all the symptoms I have are similar to sciatica. My problem is that I was suffering for the first 5 months from lower back pain which was just a little pain but that was persistent. So I went to different doctors but they were prescribing mostly pain killer which is actually not the solution. I even went to physiotherapy but I could not stop myself from playing volleyball so anyway I thought I would get better with the physiotherapy by a particular exercise. But with that exercise my pain shifted from the back to one leg and thigh and now I cannot sit or turn in bed to either side, although while standing I feel ok.

Comment from: Norahs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 63 years old. I fell at work a couple of times due to leg weakness from sciatica 2 years ago. After my last fall I started dragging my foot. I have been to numerous doctors with no diagnosis. I saw one doctor who decided that my foot drop came on because I had a tight Achilles. Surgery was performed to remedy foot drop. After weeks of physical therapy and 3 or 4 more falls from dragging my foot I was told by doctor to see a neurologist. I am using walker with no definitive diagnosis today.

Comment from: eddie, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 17

I have sciatica lower back pain that goes down my right leg.

Comment from: dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My injury occurred more than twenty years ago, I was almost beaten to death and the people involved never charged. Today at 51 and after years of medical neglect, I am suffering. I was never told the seriousness of the injury back then and it was considered that because I was only 17 it would heal on its own. Three years ago I found myself in pain and unable to lie on the x-ray table due to this and had a CT scan instead. The vertebra is deteriorating and the sciatic nerve is squashed from narrowing of the nerve canal. I now constantly feel cold and shiver for no reason even with the heater on or wearing extra clothing in summer.

QUESTION

Nearly everyone has low back pain at some time during their life. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW