Scoliosis

How was your scoliosis treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Greg, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

I had a nonsurgical treatment supplemented with Schroth physiotherapy for my scoliosis. The staff was incredibly helpful and it was a great experience.

Comment from: Havanese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had two 60-degree curves and then had a Harrington rod placed at the age of 30. Now at 69 years old, my curves are over 60 degrees with the Harrington rod in place. How it curved with the rod, I will never know. I have horrible pain also.

Comment from: blbates, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had the surgery where they put to rods in your back. I have had no problems and this was 13 years ago. I am 25 now.

Comment from: chrissie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I am now 65 and have had scoliosis since I was 13. My Scoliosis is low down and measures as 110 degrees. I am 5ft 4 inches and should have been 5' 10”. I was able to hide it for years. I have always exercised and done lots of stretches to keep my spine strong. I have noticed my spine squashing over the years but it doesn't stop me doing anything. I was offered fusion of the spine at 16 but refused. You can life with scoliosis fine. you don't need an operation just to make the body look good. I am lucky I was tall.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: September 14

My daughter has scoliosis and the X-ray shows more than 30 degree bend on the spinal cord. The doctor recommended surgery.

"Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: Clinical features, evaluation, and diagnosis"
UpToDate.com

Hresko, M. Timothy, et al. "Position Statement - Screening for the Early Detection for Idiopathic Scoliosis in Adolescents SRS/POSNA/AAOS/AAP Position Statement." Sept. 2, 2015. Scoliosis Research Society. <https://www.srs.org/about-srs/news-and-announcements/position-statement---screening-for-the-early-detection-for-idiopathic-scoliosis-in-adolescents>.

"Idiopathic Scoliosis in Children and Adolescents." March 2015. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. <http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00353>.

"Neuromuscular Scoliosis." August 2015. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. <http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00676>.

United States. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. "Fast Facts About Scoliosis." November 2014. <http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Scoliosis/scoliosis_ff.asp>.