Emphysema - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
What was the treatment for your emphysema?

I was a two pack a day smoker for many years. I started inhaling tobacco smoke at the age of nine. That is why my doctor ordered a CT scan of my lungs. No surprise when he showed me the damage I did to my right lung. A beet red area on my lower right lung about the length of my index finger. A very ugly sight. I started using the nicotine patch. I started with the 21 mg patch. I did some research and learned the brand of cigarettes I was smoking had roughly 1 mg of nicotine in one cigarette. The 21 mg helped a bit but my cravings were intense and I smoked about 2 cigarettes a day until I cut a 21 mg patch in half and added it to my other 21 mg patch. I did that for 6 days. I used the 21mg for about a week then dropped down to the 14 mg for about 10 gays. I was still smoking 2 a day. It's a crazy addiction and I found it very difficult to beat. I dropped down to the 7 mg patch which I am using now but the good news is I stopped smoking 5 days ago. Slowly but surely (ten weeks) I am now a nonsmoker. It took a total of 70 days to get here. I still have cravings but they are minor and only last a few seconds. I'm not recommending my path, just sharing how I did it. I smoked for 55 years and now I don't even take a puff. We all have a choice when dealing with emphysema. We can quit and live a little longer or we continue to smoke and die a little sooner. I love to smoke. It was my best friend for decades. Now it's my worst enemy. If I can beat it, you can, too..

Published: June 10

Last August I was told I had mild emphysema. I was shocked, I had only had minor breathing problems at times. However I had smoked for 17 years when I was very young and had quit over 38 years ago, when I developed asthma. I always heard your lungs were cleared 5 years after you quit smoking, but they don't tell you the damage is already done! Mild is not mild, I am on oxygen all the time. Steps are a major stress as is trying to walk and talk at the same time. Stop smoking! It will kill you..