Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia.
For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I was diagnosed as anemic when I was around 18, so a little over 30 years ago. At the time I didn't have any symptoms (I thought, though I had had pica syndrome (ice) most of my life and tired was normal), the doctor told me to take iron and I did for a little bit but I didn't see it as a problem that needed sustained attention. I've battled this my whole life but didn't know it. I didn't understand that it was leaving me weak all the time, that feeling exhausted in the morning wasn't normal. I thought everything had to do with me being fat, and undisciplined, so I exercised and dieted to no avail, couldn't maintain the exercise because doing it consistently on untreated anemia just left me with long periods of feeling exhausted between exercise and often times sugar and caffeine is what kept me going. I never took treatment seriously because I couldn't wrap my mind around anemia being the source of the problem. I finally started focusing on the problem and understanding the condition and following my doctor's recommendations. I have to constantly remind myself that this is a disease that I need to treat even though 90 percent of the time I feel fine (though exhausted) and remind myself how much I've circumscribed my life to accommodate the exhaustion that part of me sees as 'no big deal'. I have a short term 3 month goal of taking my supplements consistently and not slacking off and that's all I'm focused on right now. I so want to be able to be that person who gets up at 5:00 a.m. and doesn't stop doing things until 10 pm that night, instead of the person who gets everything they need to do done between 7 and 9 because after that they need to lie down..

I have chronic anemia. However, after heavy menstrual bleeding for 25 days, I fell under the extreme anemic category. I was .9 away from a transfusion. My symptoms at their worst were inability to get out of bed, dizziness even while sitting and while walking, legs felt like I was walking through water, struggled with cognitive thinking, could not focus my eyes, and always felt like I had run a marathon or two every day. I have been taking 90 mg of iron for about two weeks now and some symptoms have lessened but none is gone. Some days are still really rough I can barely get through the day. Good luck to all..