Gout - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout.
What was the treatment for your gout?

Published: December 28

I found the cause and cure for my gout and here's my story. I had continuous bouts with gout for 10 years from age 26 to 36. I tried everything from drinking large amounts of water, not eating meat, purines and other things that supposedly cause gout, to drinking cherry juice. I finally started taking a daily pill because it got so bad. Exactly a year ago January 1, 2017 my wife and I decided to try the ketogenic diet to lose some weight. I'm 5’ 11, 210 lb. with a muscular build. I ate no more than 20 net carbs for about 45 days. I ate fat and protein, as much as I wanted. I ate a lot of meat and cheese which supposedly cause gout. I lost a few pounds, but more importantly, my gout was gone. What I did was completely rid myself of all inflammatory foods (mostly carbs) and instead ate fat and protein which reduced the inflammation that was causing my gout. My doctor kept telling me that my gout was caused by genetics, or stress, or too much meat. He always had some other reason, but he never told me it was because of inflammation from eating too many carbohydrates. It has been 1 year now and I haven't had even the slightest hint of gout. My diet is around 25 percent carbs. I stay away from sugar, white bread, rice, pasta and anything else considered a 'refined carbohydrate' and I don't take any medicines. This is the cure for gout. Rid your body of refined carbohydrate. Replace those foods with vegetables and foods that are made up of fat and protein. Do this and I promise, your gout will disappear forever. It's so nice not to have to worry about a gout flare-up and then having to go to the doctor for a steroid shot to reduce the pain until the next bout shows up in another month..

I get occasional flare ups of gout. The most effective remedy for me has been to drink a teaspoon of baking soda mixed into a 16 oz. glass of water two or three times a day. I wonder if there are any harmful side effects from doing this..